Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Me and my flying buddy, the i7-975....

Hey-I love seeing a flight simmer having fun-seems like the exception on the forums as of late....I've been having such fun for years by turning down stuff on my lowly computer that I didn't think was all that important-but if Mitch can get it by having latest hardware and everything turned up full more power to him!Congrats Mitch!
Welcome to the CoreI7 world Mitch! With REX and GEX, I have taken some absolutely breathtaking flights throughout the world with great FPS. It looks like I need to upgrade my video card though to get that seamless FPS. Thank you for the report!

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

Mitch,Please feel free to open as many threads as you wish.It's so cool (and quite unusual) to see a happy camper sharing his enthousiasm! :--))Congrats for your new rig and thanks for your reports and good mood!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I have high frames on my dual core 2.2ghz O/C to 2.8ghz if I dont use heavy iron addons like the PMDG 747 or MD-11 etc, high 20s at mega airport heathrow and no blurries using the VFR uk scenery, I appreciate that some people have issues running FSX on older systems with mostly default scenery and airports but for me the real test of a system is to run an addon like the PMDG 747 and fly into mega airport heathrow (or similiar airport with a VFR package on top) with all your settings and AI at max, if you get 30+ frames then you have beaten FSX into submission :)Grats on your new system and lets see it really pushed :-)RegardsPaul

Guest abulaafia

Mitch, I have the same system now, and I LOVE it as much as you do. Don't let the passive-agressive envy of some people destroy your enjoyment. The feeling of flying with total fluency and smoothness is simply amazing. I set mine to limited 60 fps for VFR flying - you can see the sensors on the Seneca flutter in the wind! Landing the PMDG 747 at VHHH with 40+ fps in bad weather, full WoAI AI traffic. Simply fantastic. One question: you wrote "I am running in TURBO mode with settings TWO (2) bin speeds above the i7-975 spec bin of a 25 multiplier which has my CPU climbing to just under 4.00 GHz when it senses the need to reach that speed."How do you do that? TURBO only switches the multiplier from 25 to 26, i.e. from 3.33 to 3.5 Ghz. Not to "just under 4 GHz". Can you teach me how to make it jump to 4.0?

Mitch, I have the same system now, and I LOVE it as much as you do. Don't let the passive-agressive envy of some people destroy your enjoyment. The feeling of flying with total fluency and smoothness is simply amazing. I set mine to limited 60 fps for VFR flying - you can see the sensors on the Seneca flutter in the wind! Landing the PMDG 747 at VHHH with 40+ fps in bad weather, full WoAI AI traffic. Simply fantastic. One question: you wrote "I am running in TURBO mode with settings TWO (2) bin speeds above the i7-975 spec bin of a 25 multiplier which has my CPU climbing to just under 4.00 GHz when it senses the need to reach that speed."How do you do that? TURBO only switches the multiplier from 25 to 26, i.e. from 3.33 to 3.5 Ghz. Not to "just under 4 GHz". Can you teach me how to make it jump to 4.0?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Abulaafia!I just wanted to say that I didn't take the poster's ('how many threads are you going to start' post in any way other than good. My exuberance probably can get 'old', lol. I'm sure that everybody that knows me here...also knows that when I see something of value...well..er...I can get 'quite enthusiastic' about it... I don't want to wear out my welcome, ROTFLMBO!If you have the same rig...then you absolutely know what my clatter is all about...LOL!Please watch the entire video...as you will learn not only about using TURBO MODE to overclock safely, but other neat features in the second half of the presentation.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCmJWT15j0This is a great computer system that as you already know, is built like a tank! I don't know about you...but I had to get used to just the SIZE of the beast! :)))))))))))) No wonder it keeps cool, system wide! LOL. Enjoy....and now am going to fly to some Caribbean Island for lunch! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------With my TURBO MODE set to 27-26-26-26, and if I am in unlimited FPS mode within FSX, I usually sit around 70 mean average FPS. Like I said...the thing is a beast!But..I choose to use the FPS lock-down limiter of 30 fps, with the FSX bar set to unlimited.I have also now gone to 27-27-27-27 on all four cores, which brings me up to 3.609 GHz for my ceiling across all cores. That's what I love about this new TURBO technology. Your CPU can run to 3.6 GHz, but only if it needs that speed to process what you are asking it to do. Great stuff. Great stuff.....CheersMitch

Hi Mitch,Glad to see your having fun with FSX and your new system! Running FSX with all settings maxed out is something to see! screen shots (and even videos, just don't do it enough justice). I can understand your exuberance. Ive been running FSX maxed out for the last 6 months, once I got my e8600 Wolfdale, and overclocked it to 4ghz. it runs every game I throw at it with maxed settings, including FSX, where I can fly around Megascenery NY with water reflections and still stay at 30fps (which is where its locked). The only thing I turn off are ground shadows, (I just dont like the way they look). A fresh install of FSX and all addons, plus keeping my system, updated, defragged, shutting down backround tasks, all help to give a smooth fluid frame rate Ive now grown accustomed to. Over time, you will learn more about your system, and maybe even tweak it a little more, but I doubt you will need to upgrade again for quite a while. Enjoy it! and thanks for sharhing your excitment, its refreshing for a change.Rob

Guest Tingoose

Glad to hear your in FS heaven but you know what would really be helpful is if you stated what complexity of aircraft you are flying, density of AI, weather complexity, cloud levels, proximity to busy airports, addon scenery like complex airports, IOW, all those things that make demands on a system, ususually controlled by the sliders. If your getting great results with most of the above present then great, there's hope yet, but if you're flying in some remote region with clear blues skies, no AI, and a simple GA aircraft then qwe've got some way to go yet even with top notch hardware. Let us know and your post will be even more informative.

Guest UlfB
...I have never been more happy, happy and contended than when having made the decision to invest in a i7-975/GTX285 system. It has brought such joy, value, and entertainment WAY BEYOND the dent to the wallet. Way beyond....
Thanks for your post. Makes me happy too :( :(

MitchIf you really want to give your system a workout, get a triple head 2 go and run it at 5040 x 1050 resolution, I did and it slammed my Core I7 back to reality. That or get Orbx YMML scenery, that ones a processor killer.I would be intrigued to learn how you do, as it may demonstrate some performance differentiation in the individual I7 chips.Either way, glad to see your having fun.

Hi Mitch,Glad to see your having fun with FSX and your new system! Running FSX with all settings maxed out is something to see! screen shots (and even videos, just don't do it enough justice).I can understand your exuberance. Ive been running FSX maxed out for the last 6 months, once I got my e8600 Wolfdale, and overclocked it to 4ghz. it runs every game I throw at it with maxed settings, including FSX, where I can fly around Megascenery NY with water reflections and still stay at 30fps (which is where its locked). The only thing I turn off are ground shadows, (I just dont like the way they look). A fresh install of FSX and all addons, plus keeping my system, updated, defragged, shutting down backround tasks, all help to give a smooth fluid frame rate Ive now grown accustomed to.Over time, you will learn more about your system, and maybe even tweak it a little more, but I doubt you will need to upgrade again for quite a while. Enjoy it! and thanks for sharhing your excitment, its refreshing for a change.Rob
--------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Rob!Sounds like your system is catching the FSX waves at Malibu!~ :) Good go!Rob...I just came off an ultralight (I'm the guy wearing that full-face helmet, LOL!) flight around Friday Harbour.I have to tell you...I have been doing more ultralight flights post Dell 730x than I have since having purchased FSX years ago. You are so right, taking screen shots and videos...does not in any way equal the output from a user's screen. I had a friend of mine over last night, and his jaw dropped to the ground in seeing FSX running on a high-end i7 system. I had to pry him away.... He said that he was going home to open negotiations with his wife...on what SHE would like...in exchange for his probably getting the exact same rig I purchased, LOLOLOLOL! I know just what the M.O. is...for I have been there...and don't ask, ROTF! But...formal negotiations DO bear fruit! That, you can ask...lol.Getting back to FSX under my new rig. I have been the VFR slow-n-go air tourist for hours on end. I guess that you need to have the virtual world as close to real as one can get it, and then you are not in such a hurry to blast past it at the FL's. For instance....as you know in the canned Friday Harbor Ultralight setup, you are already flying just over to the right of the airport, on the water side. Well...after having a SHEER BLAST dive-bombing, road ramping, car and truck speed matching...whipping right over the roadways with the tall (VERY DENSE) trees on either side of the shoulders....cranking up over the tops, dropping the speed to almost stall...and then juicing the throttle back to above stall...and then....zoooooooooooooming, almost clipping the trees...is unbelievable, with 30 constant frames of control-giving FPS! I even experienced true vertigo....that is how fluid and real the real world simulation effect is. Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!I have explored every bay, cliff, rise, cranny....and all in such true-to-life focus and texture...that it is real...oh what the hell.....it's real to the senses. There..I went and said it. Fluidity.....fluidity is the key.... On screen focus brings it all home.Is FSX tamed? Yes! If you go out and buy the top-of-the-food-chain i7-975, bring it to around 3.6 GHz, all safely within its TURBO environment, throw in a little GTX 285 for 'flavor'...and you have the FSX killing recipe. Hand's down. Hand's down. If FSX is all that will come out of Microsoft...then I don't need to upgrade, unless the technology really goes North, while the prices asked for it, goes South. I will EMPHATICALLY state that anybody that goes out and drops the coin for an i7-975/GTX285 FSX lunch combo, will NOT be disappointed by the taste! :)))))) Like I said, in a much earlier post. Do this....and FSX is now your oyster! Go and enjoy....People wanted vids and screenies. Yeah...I could do that...but I still think that you do NOT see the absolute quality of what I am seeing. Compression, reduction...blah, blah. I'd just say to anybody asking that of me...is...if you see any other vid or snap of someone having a similar system, then you are also seeing mine. I'm not saying that my i7-975/GTX 285 produces better than theirs...nope...it produces the same as theirs! If you like what you see on already posted vids and pics...then you liked mine, also. I'll probably post some vids and snaps, since I was asked to...but not for a while...as I am simply having too much fun USING and exploring FSX to start becoming a film director, :) I'll do it...but not right now. Too many millions of square miles to now actually explore in FSX...for I can now SEE and appreciate what I am flying over, LOLOLOLOLOL! In Technicolor. In Focuscolor.Cheers!

Glad to hear your in FS heaven but you know what would really be helpful is if you stated what complexity of aircraft you are flying, density of AI, weather complexity, cloud levels, proximity to busy airports, addon scenery like complex airports, IOW, all those things that make demands on a system, ususually controlled by the sliders. If your getting great results with most of the above present then great, there's hope yet, but if you're flying in some remote region with clear blues skies, no AI, and a simple GA aircraft then qwe've got some way to go yet even with top notch hardware. Let us know and your post will be even more informative.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Tingoose------------------------------------------------------Edit:I fly all over the place, and so drop into any airport. No actual preferences. I have been doing (post purchase) a lot more VFR slow-n'-go ultralight stuff since it is now a pleasure to do so. I usually use free-ware Heavy Iron to fly approaches into Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, Honolulu, etc...and all with 30 plus FPS. Like I said earlier, it seems like the i7-975 does NOT like to be fenced in by the 30 FPS lock down..and lets me know it...lol. I get some spike STILL WITH THE LOCKDOWN to 39-41 FPS. With the limiter off and unlimited in FSX, I easily hit the low 70's and stay there. All of this with FSX as set below.--------------------------------------------------------I have add-ons for Las Vegas, Toronto, Miami, etc.I have not purchased any Heavy Iron add'ons, but run with Carendo GA stuff.I have every WOAI installed set to 75 percent.I for now, run with FSX real-weather, every 15 minutes downloaded. I most likely will get REX 2.Below is FSX as I like it, and run it:Terrain and Water:(all settings follow each other one below the other on the sliders...)Slider 1: LargeSlider 2: 75Slider 3: 38mSlider 4:1mSlider 5 Max 2x (water)Scenery Objects:Slider 1: Very DenseSlider 2: DenseSlider 3 HIGHLand Detail Textures as: ON (checked)Clouds Details: MaximumVisual Settings:70 mi/ 112 KM'sTraffic: (top to bottom on sliders)Slider 1: 75Slider 2: 0Slider 3: MediumLand and Sea:25 /0/0Graphics:Res: 1920x1200x32Filters: Anisotropic and anti-aliasing set to on.Finally, Advance Animation set to on.Das all folks...FSX as I run it.-------------------------------------Mitch
Mitch,Please feel free to open as many threads as you wish.It's so cool (and quite unusual) to see a happy camper sharing his enthousiasm! :--))Congrats for your new rig and thanks for your reports and good mood!
---------------------------------------Thanks Dave, and as you say, the invitation is always open.Mitch

Hey-I love seeing a flight simmer having fun-seems like the exception on the forums as of late....I've been having such fun for years by turning down stuff on my lowly computer that I didn't think was all that important-but if Mitch can get it by having latest hardware and everything turned up full more power to him!Congrats Mitch!
-------------------------------------------Thank you, Geofa...as you already know...am having a blast! :)

----------------------------------------------------I enjoyed watching it, Bruce. That Whisper Jet was nice. That was in FS9, right?Mitch
Hey Mitch----no, actually that was FSX!! I really would like to see a video from your new rig!!Bruce