Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chairborne

Boeing 787 sighted in the air!

Guest Chairborne

The press is saying nothing about this, but the 787 is flying. I have seen the plane airborne 4 times now, most always in the very late afternoon, flying on low power and climbing very shallow or on approach for landing at KPAE. The plane is in patchwork white and zinc chromate (for a composite plane, ZC seems strange...), has the sawtooth aft cowling edge and shallow winglets. It's definitely the 787. I'll try to get pics up ASAP.

Guest zzmikezz
The press is saying nothing about this, but the 787 is flying. I have seen the plane airborne 4 times now, most always in the very late afternoon, flying on low power and climbing very shallow or on approach for landing at KPAE. The plane is in patchwork white and zinc chromate (for a composite plane, ZC seems strange...), has the sawtooth aft cowling edge and shallow winglets. It's definitely the 787. I'll try to get pics up ASAP.
Hi Chairborne,On what parts of the airframe did you see zinc chromate?

Guest Chairborne
Hi Chairborne,On what parts of the airframe did you see zinc chromate?
Various sections of the aft fuselage. It's rather patchworky, I don't think it's genuine, probably only used to disguise the plane (Like carmakers do with new car designs at test facilities).

Guest zzmikezz
Various sections of the aft fuselage. It's rather patchworky, I don't think it's genuine, probably only used to disguise the plane (Like carmakers do with new car designs at test facilities).
Photos would be neat. How close to the (usual?) flight path are you?

Guest Chairborne

Depending where I'm at, I can be right at KPAE, the 16R approach path, the 34L approach path, various places in the vicinity...it's all a matter of luck so far. They've been doing a lot of twilight/dark testing, I was lucky to catch a view in the bright afternoon

so all the professional plane spotters haven't posted this on any of the real-world aviation sites? :( seattle times not put out any information?! :( no national news coverage?! are you sure you are not just seeing one of the older 767 test-bed aircraft? :( --

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Yup, I'm not sure why Boeing would keep quiet the fact that a 787 was flying when everyone was thinking it was stuck on the ground with problems, even if it was possible for them to pull such a blackout off, which seems unlikely. It may indeed be what you say it is - after all, you are there and we are not - but plenty of people around Seattle mistook Alaska's Spirit of Seattle and a few other aircraft for the 787 when they were flying around in the BCA scheme, and even some pics on Airliners.net of the 767 have been similarly mistakenly identified.I guess we'll have to await a picture to really be sure though.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In the mean time guys:

Boeing should sell to us that flight simulation to replace FSX. Wow, wouldn't that be sweet??? Imaging too the headlines: Extra, Extra: Flight Simulator enthusiast saved B787 program financial shaky start. Dreaming again,MAB

In the mean time guys:
Boeing should sell to us that flight simulation to replace FSX. Wow, wouldn't that be sweet??? Imaging too the headlines: Extra, Extra: Flight Simulator enthusiast saved B787 program financial shaky start. Dreaming again,MAB
That is FS2004! Read the box on the side! (And the Abacus interior to boot, wonder why we didn't use te flight model)

Guest Chairborne

Okay, then ignore the fact I live near the Boeing factory and ask yourself this: How could cracks develop in the wing/fuselage juncture without some sort of cause?

Guest FuzzyDunlop
Okay, then ignore the fact I live near the Boeing factory and ask yourself this: How could cracks develop in the wing/fuselage juncture without some sort of cause?
A possible cause ?http://www.springerlink.com/content/963u71t2hk7w6574The structural flaw in the Boeing design was found in May during a ground test that bent the wings upward. Stresses at the ends of the long rods that stiffen the upper wing skin panels caused the fibrous layers of the composite plastic material to delaminate.The whole storyhttp://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boei...9_boeing30.htmlYou have probably read that oneAll that aside Cant wait to see the pictures.

secret FBI black 'copters landing on the wings? :( still no information on aviation sites, or boeing, or KING5, KOMO, KISW ... :( come to think of it ... boeing has even paid of the FAA: can't find a 788 flight on flightaware.comsure you are not seeing a 767 test??? -http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE541--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest Chairborne

Wow, there's nothing like being called a liar, even if only implied. Thanks, guys, I thought the Avsim forums had people who were intelligent; instead, you are all petty, capricious, instigative, condescending, unaccommodating and rude. Vafangool.