Sign in to follow this  
boeingqa9

Start Locks

Nah, l was told after not been able to start the engines was to make sure the un feather was selected near the throttles.l did, the props went into a slimmer direction.. l was then able to start the engines.But after that l moved the throttles back, l didnt l hear stop brakes released or something like that.thats why l asked what was the beta?... the video didnt really show that much from what l was doing.l think the problem might be caused from a cold and dark state that l saved. but l guess it shouldnt be..Many ThxPaul
Well, if you unfeather the props with the unfeather switch without putting them into the start locks again, then you don't have to get them OUT of the start locks....

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Just one quick one, l do have to click on the left and right switch that activates the feather right? ThxPaul

Okay, I am admittedly confused here. I thought one was supposed to move the thrust levers into beta range prior to engine start for the start locks. This would make the props go from feather to flat pitch. If I am understanding correctly now, we are to start the engines (from a cold and dark cockpit) while the props are feathered and then move the power levers into the beta range to remove the start locks...which is the proper method? Here is my situation. I decided to save a flight so I could fly a leg from KIAD to KABE starting from cold and dark. I used the default Cessna 172 at the gate of my choice at KIAD. I cut the mixture, shut off the avionics and master and turned the key to the off position for a complete shut down. Then I loaded the J41 for the cold and dark panel state. I then saved the file and proceeded the pre-flight checklist. Following the tutorial, I moved the power levers reaching full beta prior to engine start and I never heard the start locks call out and the props stayed in the feathered position. I then clicked on the unfeather switch for both the left and the right engines (again prior to engine start) which then moved the props from feathered to flat pitch as it should per the manuals. I proceeded to start and when I thought all was well, the engines started putting out puffs of smoke and eventually shut down. Did the process again and got an engine fire for both No1 and No2 engines. Is this a problem within FSX when saving the flight for the cold and dark panel state or did I do something wrong? Also, one more thing. If I load the J41 normally with the engines running or I load the tutorial flight, I have no problems with the FMS, however, if I load one of MY saved flights (which are all cold and dark panel state) I can't turn on the FMS. I just press the button and see a black screen. Is there any idea of how to fix the FMS issue?Having said these two things, I still say that the J41 is the best purchase I have made for FSX and this will be my workhorse out of all my hangar until the 737 2.0 comes out and then it will probably be a split of the two until the Dash 8 comes out. While many are hoping for the Q400, I still hope to see the Q300 as that is my favorite Crash 8, but either way, PMDG has my money when it's ready. Every time a new plane comes out, I buy it and think to myself that the PMDG team won't be able to put anything out better than the most recent release...however I have been wrong every time. Thank you again PMDG for consistantly reaching for higher standards and being creative looking for ways to always improve what is already the best products out there for MSFS.Chad

Okay, I am admittedly confused here. I thought one was supposed to move the thrust levers into beta range prior to engine start for the start locks. This would make the props go from feather to flat pitch. If I am understanding correctly now, we are to start the engines (from a cold and dark cockpit) while the props are feathered and then move the power levers into the beta range to remove the start locks...which is the proper method?
No!The props need to be ON the start latches for start, so if they're feathered after shut down, you need to UNFEATHER them and put them on the start latches BEFORE attempting start. The technique for doing this is to pull the power lever ALL THE WAY TO THE AFT STOP, then flip the unfeather switch and wait the 20 seconds or so for the prop to move to fine pitch. Once it's in fine pitch, you can move the power lever to idle for start. After you do this, wait a minute or so and look outside at the props again. If they're on the start latches, they'll still be in fine position after a minute or two with the power levers in idle.You will not be able to start the engines while the props are feathered, and if you try to unfeather the prop during the start sequence, you will not be able to unfeather the prop before doing damage to the engine.
Here is my situation. I decided to save a flight so I could fly a leg from KIAD to KABE starting from cold and dark. I used the default Cessna 172 at the gate of my choice at KIAD. I cut the mixture, shut off the avionics and master and turned the key to the off position for a complete shut down. Then I loaded the J41 for the cold and dark panel state. I then saved the file and proceeded the pre-flight checklist. Following the tutorial, I moved the power levers reaching full beta prior to engine start and I never heard the start locks call out and the props stayed in the feathered position. I then clicked on the unfeather switch for both the left and the right engines (again prior to engine start) which then moved the props from feathered to flat pitch as it should per the manuals. I proceeded to start and when I thought all was well, the engines started putting out puffs of smoke and eventually shut down. Did the process again and got an engine fire for both No1 and No2 engines. Is this a problem within FSX when saving the flight for the cold and dark panel state or did I do something wrong?
Yes, you did.There is no call for when you put the props ON the start latches. You're supposed to leave them on the latches during shutdown, but more about that in a minute.It sounds like you failed to move the power levers back to idle after putting the props on the start latches, allowing them to return to feathered before engine start.My advice is to save the JS4100's state after ensuring that the props are on the start latches, so you don't have to unfeather them every time you climb into the cockpit.During shutdown, shut both engines down at the same time (or as fast as you can click both stop switches in succession). Watch the RPMs, and when BOTH engines are below 50% RPM, press F2 and HOLD IT DOWN. When both engines are below 10% RPM, press F1 to return the power levers to idle. That should place both props on the start latches. Run through your shutdown checklist, and after you're finished, THEN save the situation. That will give you a cold and dark cockpit with the props on the start latches, ready to go for your next flight.
Also, one more thing. If I load the J41 normally with the engines running or I load the tutorial flight, I have no problems with the FMS, however, if I load one of MY saved flights (which are all cold and dark panel state) I can't turn on the FMS. I just press the button and see a black screen. Is there any idea of how to fix the FMS issue?
Run through your checklists to make sure you're not missing any switches. Sounds like you're not getting power applied to the FMS.Let us know if this helps!
Just one quick one, l do have to click on the left and right switch that activates the feather right?
Yes.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Thanks for the help with the start latches Kurt. I think where I went wrong was my method of saving the cold and dark panel. It sounds to me like the best way to save the cold and dark at the airport I want is to just load the airport and plane normally (IE running when when sim starts) and not to load a default plane or flight. Then I just stop the engines and put them on the start latches as you outlined above and continue the shutdown process from the tutorial. Once that is done, I can save the flight and next time I load I should have no problems. Am I correct thinking like this? Thanks again.Chad

Chad,You need to load a default plane or there are parts of the sim that will not initialize properly. That's not an arbitrary thing -- FSX really needs it.Load the default plane.Load the JS4100.Shut down the JS4100 properly, following the checklists.Save the situation.When you want to fly the JS4100 the next time, then start the sim from Free Flight with a default aircraft, then load your saved JS4100 situation.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Kurt, The stop lever worked thanks... but l do still have 1 problem bud.. l have a beta green light. for left and right engines. and everytime l try to take off l get a red warningl`ve looked around and couldnt find what the problem was.any help on this would be greatRegardsPaul

Checklist done? Condition levers in flight? Use the TOCWS?

Dan Downs KCRP

Paul,As Dan says...do the checklists. They're not that long for this airplane, and there's no excuse for not doing them.Things to check when you get the CONFIG light on the CAP panel: Spoilers armed?Flaps 9?Parking brake released?RPM at 100%?

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Kurt, I did as you said and everything worked like a charm. I only have one problem now and that is the FMC still not turning on. I've done everything the normal proceedures said to do along with what the tutorial flight said to do, but the FMC is not turning on before or even after engine start. Any ideas?Chad

Chad,The FMS thing has been happening for some people, and I believe there's a fix in the works with SP1. Check the sticky post at the top of the forum.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

TOCWS = Take Off Configuration Warning System

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK