Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

False TAT temperature indication with PMDG MD-11

- So far only in the mountains!
I think this is a very interesting observation; come to think of it, I have noticed this too. The reason why I have experienced this so many times may then have been caused by the fact that my departure airport is LSZH rather often. The problem seems to be very persistent over Switzerland. A few days ago, I flew from EHAM to LEMD (WOODY UN872 KOVIN UY317 RESMI UN857 PPN UN10 VASUM BAN), and I only had the problem once and this was near the Pyrenees in the North of Spain / South of France. Flying over the flat areas in the Netherlands and France, the problem did not seem to come up. If I find the time, I will do some more testing tomorrow or over next week..
Also so far only when usingImport -> Change Flight Plan ->Import/manualGru

I got hit by this too. I didn't say anything because it only happened once. I happened to notice this thread while looking for info about crazy altimeter settings. (33.77!!!)I was in the MD11 probably over 35000 headed for 39000. I remember: I had just started using the altitude in FSCommander's flight plans. Before that I didn't have any problems but I never went above 33000.I'll keep an eye out. Tim.

Guest abulaafia

Flying a lot in Asia, I used to encounter the high TAT problem FREQUENTLY. It does not happen with default weather. I have sinced abandoned ASA for this exact reason. Problem doesn't occur with REX.

Same problem here and, sad to say, this serious issue has made me decide not to use ASA until this will be fixed.No problems with IVAP integrated weather (now i'm flying with it), nor with REX weather engine.

Ciao!

Rosario Manzo, IT

A couple of days ago I was flying my PMDG 744 from London to Kuwait City.As "usual" TAT went crazy three times during the 6 hours flight...While flying I stopped ASA (from a networked PC) keeping FSX meteo to "User defined". Then I switched back ASA on, hoping to evenatually reset it, unfortunately ASA kept causing wrong TAT as before...Then I decided to stop ASA again and at the same time I switched FSX Weather to "real time 15min update", after few more minutes I started ASA again and moved back FSX weather to User defined. Following this procedure everything went ok.As said before I had to experience strange weather issues three times during my flight, and the only way to fix them was interacting with both ASA and FSX weather at the same time.I have to say that before buying ASA I used to fly with ASX with exaclty the same PC configuration I am using now: I NEVER had this problem at all...I will fly the return leg to Heathrow using REX2.0 and I will report any inconvenient...if any...NickPS: Me too I have TAT problem mainly while overflying the ALPS region...

Hi,this time i had the TAT Problem from LSGS to EDFH at Fl180! So i switched from UserWeather to MSFS Weather and after 10 sec. i switched back and the TAT was ok. But something interesting was happend: While i was landing at EDFH the weather was sunny, 3 minutes later i made a new flight (without restarting ASA) from EDFH to EDDP. At this time it was raining at EDFH?! So this seems to me that ASA wasn't working after switching back to User-Weather... Ok so i decided to start: After 30 sec. and about 2500 feet the TAT again switched from 5

A couple of days ago I was flying my PMDG 744 from London to Kuwait City.As "usual" TAT went crazy three times during the 6 hours flight...While flying I stopped ASA (from a networked PC) keeping FSX meteo to "User defined". Then I switched back ASA on, hoping to evenatually reset it, unfortunately ASA kept causing wrong TAT as before...Then I decided to stop ASA again and at the same time I switched FSX Weather to "real time 15min update", after few more minutes I started ASA again and moved back FSX weather to User defined. Following this procedure everything went ok.As said before I had to experience strange weather issues three times during my flight, and the only way to fix them was interacting with both ASA and FSX weather at the same time.I have to say that before buying ASA I used to fly with ASX with exaclty the same PC configuration I am using now: I NEVER had this problem at all...I will fly the return leg to Heathrow using REX2.0 and I will report any inconvenient...if any...Nick
Ok then...I've been flying with REX2.0 instead of ASA for more than a week.I have to say that REX presents very annoing problems related to wind shifts (brilliantly solved by HIFI time ago...)!!!They say they are working on it... good luck...Let's go back to topic!I have flown about 20hrs with REX but the TAT was always as it should be!No fluctuations, not variations, everything has been ALWAYS normal! REX seems not being affected at all by the TAT desease!Now, considering that also ASX has never presented this TAT issue before (at least on my rig), after this little "investigation" my modest conclusions are that ASA is somehow involved on this matter.Is it causing it, triggering it...? Well I really do not know, let's hope HIFI will find it out for us soon.Hope it helps.Nick

Gents,I have been following this post since a kind soul notified me. Needless to say that neither PMDG nor any other airplane add-on is capable of changing FS atmosphere since they are NOT weather programmes. I have this issue too. In practice something injects sea level temperature (to be precise 15 degrees celsius) at FL350 or so. TAT will depend on your Mach number. Also, needless to say, that this amounts to +70 ISA and therefore even default aircraft (which are not exactly accurate in the perf department) will have a difficuulty maintaining altitude. It happens to me over high terrain usually.However, I have full faith in Damian since he managed to tame that awful FSX wx engine with ASA (unshamed PLUG). I am sure the good and capable people at HiFi will fix/inhibit/kill this very nice "feature". Best,Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Hi folks,i'm back again with another workaround or fix?! But i need your help to test it! After I made the following Steps the TAT problem never happend again but this could be temporary, so please try this and give a feedback. Thanks.On JPG 1 you see what you have to do. The Important thins is DON'T START your flight! If you made your settings then SAVE your flight. After that (See JPG 2) load your flight. The FS starts automatically and brings you to the location, loads your plane, loads your flightplan and so on you have selected. Now make your flight.This works for me right now but there is no guarantee that it will work for you or in the future. So let's test it.Have a nice and TAT-Problem free weekend ^^Andy1:2:

Andy,how will this work with aircraft from PMDG and Level D for example, where the payload and fuel are set from a seperate program and the flight plan is also input via the onboard FMC rather than using the FS flight planner.Also the club I belong to using real world weather vis FSInn or active sky, any news on how we would go about solving the TAT problem using this proposal ?Keep at it mate, somewhere there lies an answer, we have just to find it !!

Phil Densley

Hi Cougar,ok with the PMDG 747 or the 767 from Level-D you don't have to make Step 5 (Fuel and payload) because the external programs write files to your FSX directory which the plane will read if you're ready at the gate... and it works (i'm using PMDG 747-400 and Level-D 767). But i will explain why i'd like to test these steps in my previous post with you:First: In some flights i had up to 4 TAT failures (in a 2h flight) !!!Second: I had also a failure in the 767 there i stand at the gate and a call from the ground crew came in. I pushed the ground button to answer the call and BOOOM FSX crashes. In the Level-D forum they discussed that the Steps (i described in my previous post) fixed that problem... and they fixed it.AND: i was flying and no TAT Problem... So i asked myself if this little workaround for the 767 can fix or limit the TAT-problem... So i tested it again again and again no TAT-problem anymore... And so i decided to share my knowledge with you so you can also test it.Andy

Sorry to report Andy its a no go here....In fact following the instructions above, when I click on load the previously saved flight, my PMDG 747 is found at the runway or gate with all four engines on fire !.But there are no displays either PFD or Nav, the overhead panel is switched off, but the engines are running and the fuel cutoff switches are set t o run ?Upon moving the fuel cutoff switches to off the engines wind down but the smoke/fire keeps bellowing out from the engines.Going through normal start up procedures brings everything back on line, but the smoke continues from the engines, then while climbing the TAT problem is still evident by the climbing temperature with increasing altitude.Nice try mate..looks like we have more searching to do ...

Phil Densley

I see you chaps are having a nice chat amongst yourselves but I'm not sure it's advancing the cause much.To go back to the original reports, this is an intermittent fault wihich occurs in flight, usually it seems at altitude, when TAT swings from a negative (sub zero) temperature to a significantly positive temperature even though everything looked fine at the start of the flight.It is intermittent so there's not a lot we can do (nor should have to do) do to avoid it by complicated procedures at the start of a flight. Just because the fault doesn't happen doesn't mean it's been cured: it merely means it hasn't happened this time.What we need is the authors of ASA to have a think from their far greater knowledge than ours what COULD cause this.While we chat amongst ourselves, it gives the impression we are solving it when in fact I doubt we can.

ngxu_banner.png

Hi all,yes cougar it seems to be a no go. This times the TAT problem occured again. So i agree with ailchim that there is no way for us to solve or limit the problem with workarounds. We have to wait until they found the little ugly bug in their source codes :( . Andy