Sign in to follow this  
claude_rozsa

LFPO (Orly airport France)

LFPO new version has been uploaded on the library on november 2d.I am really surprised and shocked to see the lack of accuracy of such a freeware compared to the reality of the scenery which can be seen on many sites showing different views either aerial or from many sides of the airport.Here is a comparison done with the scenery as it shows on FSX and the reality viewed from the sky on the Pictaero site which gives most of the planet's pictures and other infos.This is not serious. Paris Orly is not implemented in a suburban aera in the middle of cottages as it appears when you look at from many sides on the scenery posted in AVSIM library. From my point of view this discredits the Library which gives us very accurate addons most of the time.As I cannot post a compared picture of the two views you can check on the french forum of AVSIM here :Orly airport real and as an addonClaude Paris

Claude -The Avsim Library does not "judge" the merits of any file which is submitted - they only "host" them (after checking the integrity of the zip file itself).If you feel an offerring is "less than perfect", it is not the fault of Avsim - the author is the one who you should be contacting.

Opa is 100% right. Also if you do decide to contact the author and criticise them please remember that they did this entirely for free in their own time and then shared it with everybody, so try not go overboard with the criticisms....... Aim for suggestions which could improve the scenery, I'm sure the author would consider those seriously.

Claude -The Avsim Library does not "judge" the merits of any file which is submitted - they only "host" them (after checking the integrity of the zip file itself).If you feel an offerring is "less than perfect", it is not the fault of Avsim - the author is the one who you should be contacting.
Good morning David,Please tell me where did I wrote that IT WAS AVSIM FAULT?????My only purpose in writing what I wrote is on the contrary to enhance the value of AVSIM site and nothing else.As for contacting the author, I have done so after his previous release and I took the time to find on internet different pictures of the airport. I still wait for at least a word of thanks which I think is the least one can do....But nevertheless I wont do it again don't worry! But may I remind you the say of a very famous french writer known worldwide for a certain Barber of Seville and Marriage of Figaro:"Without the liberty of critisizing there are no flattering eulogies...." ( Beaumarchais, The Marriage of Figaro ACT IV scene 3) :( Kind regardsClaude

Opa is 100% right. Also if you do decide to contact the author and criticise them please remember that they did this entirely for free in their own time and then shared it with everybody, so try not go overboard with the criticisms....... Aim for suggestions which could improve the scenery, I'm sure the author would consider those seriously.
It's a pity I dont find my email to the author a few months ago when he released his previous version of the addon. As I wrote to OPA, I attached to my email a bunch of pictures and explanations of how the neighbourhood of Paris Orly was, especially the presence of the VAL (a train which links both terminals to Paris Speed subway, same as the DFW or KORD ones linking the terminals at those airports). I had not a single word of reply! So you see how the suggestions were followed! I dont go overboard with criticism and if one again cannot critic, then in what world are we living....I dont think the point is that a work is done for free or for money. People here have a passion. They want to share it with others. One way to do so is by sharing their addons. Does that prevent from trying to do the utmost to produce something which is as accurate as possible. It takes as much time to do it imperfectly than the contrary. If I had the knowledge to conceive an addon on LFPO I would do it myself and do my utmost for it to be accurate, that's all, by going to the best sources I could find. Would you agree to see JFK or Heathrow totally wrong? Of course you would'nt and especially if you were a citizen of the country concerned.To broaden the debate I have sometimes the impression that for some addon producers on the different sites I visit, it is a sort of a race to the greatest number of addons produced. Honestly this is not a competition aiming at being in the Guinness book of records :( ; at least I hope so!We have presently on the french forum an interesting debate on the last addons produced ,one free the other a payware, on the Grand Canyon and no one feels hurt because there are comments and critics over the two of them. We try to find a way to explain the problems encountered and find solutions if any which eventually could be forwarded to the conceptors. So you see I'm not such an overboard critic as you may think...and when I find something great I do not hesitate to share my impression and tell it directly to the producer."sans rancune" :( Claude Paris

It's a pity I dont find my email to the author a few months ago when he released his previous version of the addon. As I wrote to OPA, I attached to my email a bunch of pictures and explanations of how the neighbourhood of Paris Orly was, especially the presence of the VAL (a train which links both terminals to Paris Speed subway, same as the DFW or KORD ones linking the terminals at those airports). I had not a single word of reply! So you see how the suggestions were followed! I dont go overboard with criticism and if one again cannot critic, then in what world are we living....I dont think the point is that a work is done for free or for money. People here have a passion. They want to share it with others. One way to do so is by sharing their addons. Does that prevent from trying to do the utmost to produce something which is as accurate as possible. It takes as much time to do it imperfectly than the contrary. If I had the knowledge to conceive an addon on LFPO I would do it myself and do my utmost for it to be accurate, that's all, by going to the best sources I could find. Would you agree to see JFK or Heathrow totally wrong? Of course you would'nt and especially if you were a citizen of the country concerned.To broaden the debate I have sometimes the impression that for some addon producers on the different sites I visit, it is a sort of a race to the greatest number of addons produced. Honestly this is not a competition aiming at being in the Guinness book of records :( ; at least I hope so!We have presently on the french forum an interesting debate on the last addons produced ,one free the other a payware, on the Grand Canyon and no one feels hurt because there are comments and critics over the two of them. We try to find a way to explain the problems encountered and find solutions if any which eventually could be forwarded to the conceptors. So you see I'm not such an overboard critic as you may think...and when I find something great I do not hesitate to share my impression and tell it directly to the producer."sans rancune" :( Claude Paris
"Take the bull by the horns" as we say in English! and make this the opportunty for "you" to create the best free Orly airport scenery!!! It's not an easy task and one is grateful for any attempt. Vololiberista

Claude, The saying 'You don't get anything for nothing' is of course proved quite wrong by AVSIM and other such sites. How many wonderful sceneries have I downloaded for free over the past ten years? - and I have tried to give back to the community by uploading my own airports/aircraft/ tools etc. (30 or so so far).I appreciate the fact that it's a bit disappointing when someone goes to all the trouble of creating an airport and then doesn't make it at all like the real-world one (especially if you know the original airport well!), but if you feel strongly you could always buy a scenery of Orly - for instance:http://secure.simmarket.com/francevfr_paris-orly-2005.phtmlThere may be others out there ..Martin