Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowat

is Activesky worth getting?

Guest danowat

Hi,I would like get a good weather program, would active sky be a good buy for me.At the moment I use weathermaker, would active sky be better than this?The only problem is that I do not use downloaded weather, I would prefer to have it randomly generated, I find that getting weather from the internet is a pain as I only have a dial-up connection (and a slow on at that).Thanks in advanceDan.

Guest Milamber

Well if you plan on getting FS2004 then it will do what you want out of the box....At least I think you can select certain weather themes (Or create your on) and the weather is supposed to change according to front movements and the like (much like Flight Unlimited III). I don't know about random selection of themes though.

I use ActiveSky wxRE and like it very much. What I would suggest is going to their website at http://www.hifisim.com/ and downloading the program documentation (it's free). The docs are very good and should tell you if it does what you are looking for.KP

Guest Sunnyzsz

I use Active Sky, its the best.Warm RegardsKimberly

Guest claudius41ad

I use FS Meteo and am very satisfied with it. As I dont anticipate using Fs 2004 for a while (I have only returned to the Flt Sim scene recently) I am using FS 2002 - I shall continue at the moment.Regards

I use Active Sky WXRe with downloaded weather. However, you can save each download into seperate folders and save your weather scenarios. Each download is specified by GMT as determined by your local time offset, but its weather generator interpolates around that for your time of flight. You have the option of limiting the downloade winds info to reduce your on-line time.By using occasional downloads, you can build a library of scenarios that you can choose to fly under each time. As an example, I have a folder called spring-local-trws. I also include a captured radar image from www.wunderground.com for my region of interest snapped and labeled with the zulu date and time, then moved into the capture folder, to serve as a storm briefing.

Guest danowat

Hi,Thanks for all the replys guys, I will check out the documentation for active sky, and hopefully it will make up my mindCheersDan.

Dear Dan -Weather Maker Personal Edition 1.4 is built specifically for random weather generation. At present there is not a download feature available. That will be changing with the newest version expected soon.Until then I would recommend Active Sky or Weather Center. The only problem is that with Weather Center it is about $20 to $30 bucks depending on currency exchange. But it has some REALLY cool features and I like the interface. There is a novice edition, but it only runs for 45 minutes. Active Sky is very good also - the author has done a very good job on the product. I have not tried the freeware version however.The best to you in your decision making.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I would just buy FS2004 and you should be set. I use ActiveSky currently and it is great, but from the looks of the new weather in FS2004, I will probably never use FS2K2 again.....

Hello,I use Activesky since some time now, and I am totally satisfied! It is, together with Radar Contact, to my feeling the most valuable add-ons for FS2002.Juul Tango.

Guest kyle

I used FSmeteo with FS2002 but now with FS2004, I honestly do not see any need to use an external weather program or even upgrading the cloud images. The weather comparison between what is downloaded and what is displayed is pretty much bang on (I believe Geofa has posted some excellent comparison shots). The turbulence is well done also in the release of FS2004. The clouds are incredible and should never need to be improved.I would hold off until FS2004 is released. Of course, there is some weather phenomenom that probably is not in FS2004 so this would give the third party developers a chance to develop something.Just my 2 cents.

Guest R5D4

when it works it is amazing BUT there are some real problems with downloading weather information as it uses public servers which are not always online. For this reason alone I would hold off purchasing and use the money you save towards fs2oo4.

Ditto. Activesky's online servers can be totally useless on some days, totally unpredictable. You simply cannot count on this program to work reliably in online mode. I feel the author of Activesky has ignored this problem for too long and tends to gloss over the online weather server reliablity issue instead of fixing the problem.