Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chatman

8800 GTS worth upgrading?

Recommended Posts

Hi!Just a quick questiion: will I see any performace improvement changing my 8800GTS 640MB (G80 chip) to an GTX 285 or an Ati 5850? I know however that FSX is mostly CPU bound other Specs: C2D 6750@3,2, 4GB RAMThank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In your case, Id say if you're considering upgrading, I'd start with the CPU first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I intend to do a CPU upgrade to an i7 920 but not before next spring so I thought the new videocard (which I'll need anyway) might improve things meanwhile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlikely - reason being is that an 8800 is right up there as one of the best GPU's for flightsim. A faster, newer GPU will only really allow you to improve your AA & AS graphics quality settings on the driver levels... in and of itself, the faster GPU will not likely make any base FPS changes to the simulator. I would hold the money for now, and update the GPU when you do your i7 update down the road. Even though you could buy the new GPU now, prices could drop on the card over the next few months and you might end up saving the money (which if budgeted, could go towards a faster CPU or GPU when the time comes!) Sit tight. I know the urge to update something and just get a new component in there, but I think in your case, it's worth the patience! Ultimately, the GPU update won't do much for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last weekend I was able to compare my GTX260 Black Edition to a default GTX295 --> 25% more frameratesI Have to admit that I use a multi monitor setup.Before my 260 I used a GTS 8800 and the 260 gave me extra fps too ( forgotten how many ).Not many but everything was smoother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK greggerm you convinced me. Instead of buying the new card I'll wait another 2 or 3 months and then buy the system cheaper than it's now. And if I decide to go for an ATI I might even get one :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites