Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

ASA and fsuipc for wind smoothing and md-11

hello,I was wondering if any of you guys are flying the md-11 using ASA in non dwc mode and using a registered fsuipc for the wind smoothing. activesky really does a nice job with wind smoothing but Id really like to have the weather run in station based mode and not global mode but i would lose the wind smoothing so I want to know if fsuipc does a good job with wind smoothing on it's own. That way I can have the best of both worlds.Andrew Zapata

Andrew,I use ASA and FSUIPC. I have tried using DWC through ASA with and without wind and pressure adjustments in FSUIPC. I have also used FSUIPC adjustments withour DWC. Not sure there is a perfect combination- or perhaps I just have not found one yet.So far I have the best luck using FSUIPC in place of DWC. I am in the process of working the numbers in FSUIPC. again, there are limitations with both methods.I've ben pretty happy with FSUIPC adjustments. So far it seems to work better that DWC. I will still get the occasional glitch- but overall it has worked well.JW

Same as Jeffrey stated. ASA has actually recommended using FSUIPC and disabling their own smoothing to several users. Like in this post, for one.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I use FSUIPC smoothing with DWC disabled and it works great. The main reason I have DWC disabled however, is because it wreaks havoc on the flow of Radar Contact during or near final approach.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I'm also using FSUIPC for wind and baro smoothing. ASA just doesn't seem to inhibit those unrealistic fluctuations in wind speed or direction unfortunately. It's a shame because ASA has exhibited some awesome gusts, turbulence, and wind shear effects that no longer work with DWC off. Basically, the nice new features that ASA came with are useless and I'm back to weather that is the same as it was with ASv6.5. I hope some future SP addresses the DWC issue and other problems so we can see those features that ASA advertise, but it's been a while without fixes.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Andrew,I use ASA and FSUIPC. I have tried using DWC through ASA with and without wind and pressure adjustments in FSUIPC. I have also used FSUIPC adjustments withour DWC. Not sure there is a perfect combination- or perhaps I just have not found one yet.So far I have the best luck using FSUIPC in place of DWC. I am in the process of working the numbers in FSUIPC. again, there are limitations with both methods.I've ben pretty happy with FSUIPC adjustments. So far it seems to work better that DWC. I will still get the occasional glitch- but overall it has worked well.JW
What are your fsuipc settings vivek

vivek,I am using the latest version of FSUIPC (V4.53). I have made specific adjustments to those areas below. Winds1. Smooth wind changes near aircraft with changes limited to this many knots or degrees per second OR this many seconds for each 1 knot or 1 degree change: I have selected 2 seconds for each knot or degree.2. Smooth only when airborne: selected3. Suppress these wind effects: I have turbulence, gusts, and varience selected.4. Select "Allow changes to FS own weather"Clouds Etc.1. Smooth pressure by tis value (1/100ths hPA per second): 20 (this is the default value)2. Smooth temp (OAT) by this (1/100ths degC per seconbd): 100 (this is the default value)3. Select "Allow changes to FS own weather"I would also enjoy hearing from others who have made different or additional adjustments.JW

I use 8 sec per kt/deg and half the default press/temp values. These parameters really don't shift very quickly at jet altitudes.

Dan Downs KCRP