Sign in to follow this  
Flamin_Squirrel

Sound Card - Performance increase?

From my elementry understanding onboard sound is processed by the CPU.Since FSX is so CPU intensive, would adding a sound card and releaving the CPU of this produce a noticable performance increase?Current setup:Q8600P5N-D275GTXThanks.

Guest FxF3

Try Audio Winbench. I think it will show cpu use with your audio card. I think Sound Blasters use about 2 to 3% of your cpu.

From my elementry understanding onboard sound is processed by the CPU.Since FSX is so CPU intensive, would adding a sound card and releaving the CPU of this produce a noticable performance increase?Current setup:Q8600P5N-D275GTXThanks.
My sound card passed away recently due to an unfortunate (and very loud) static discharge between my finger and the 25 yr old amplifier that I use to drive several speakers (incl. a subwoofer bolted to my chair).Some times the card is totally dead- other times after a rest overnight, one channel only. Either way I can detect no change in frame rate performance."Sound Blaster Live", although only 10 years old, lived a full life, having been adopted from a prior computer about 6 years ago.Cremation service for this card will be held when I can determine that there is enough "green" to have the local computer shop install a new one.Sorely missed and always remembered!It has been suggested that in the interim & in the absence of sound, I should perhaps take up gliding!Alex Reid

Sound processing is trivial, especially with multi-core CPUs. Unless you need higher quality output, there is no reason to buy a sound card for gaming.

Guest djt01
there is no reason to buy a sound card for gaming.
Unless you run games/sims that utilize EAX that is. ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1639 BIOS) Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RTMushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 9.11)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1tyWD VelociRaptor 150GB

Sound processing is trivial, especially with multi-core CPUs. Unless you need higher quality output, there is no reason to buy a sound card for gaming.
Agreed :(

MaxC- for a moment I thought you had made my day with the suggestion that Onboard sound is good for gaming. As noted above, my sound card has died- so a fast check of my motherboard specs showed sound as an option. Hooray-maybe!Inspection of the rear of the box disclosed the 3 main board audio ports as shown in the specs- but covered with tape! Hooray again- maybe!So I switched the audio output cable to mainboard audio green/out port- and darn, no sound.Question- is it possible that main board audio is there, but was disabled by the technician who built the 'puter, so that the separate Sound Blaster card would operate? (That would explain the paper tape over the onboard audio ports.)If that is the case- how to reactivate MB Audio? Guessing that a jumper might have been removed?(MB is an ASUS A7N8X-X. Suggestions welcome apart from "get rid of that ancient artifact".)Alex Reid

(MB is an ASUS A7N8X-X. Suggestions welcome apart from "get rid of that ancient artifact".)I used to have an A7N8X, I think you can enable/disable onbord sound in the Bios, give it a try.Bill

Bill

The A7N8X-X is an entry level board masquerading as a performance/high-end board. I know, I used to have one. In 2003/2004 ;)You certainly can enable the onboard audio in the BIOS, but if the ports are taped off there's a very good chance that was done because the onboard audio is broken. You can try to re-enable but there's no guarantee it will work.

The A7N8X-X is an entry level board masquerading as a performance/high-end board. I know, I used to have one. In 2003/2004 ;)You certainly can enable the onboard audio in the BIOS, but if the ports are taped off there's a very good chance that was done because the onboard audio is broken. You can try to re-enable but there's no guarantee it will work.
tripo & MaxC- thanks for your fast replies- Avsim is amazing!Playing with the Bios is way over my head! I'll leave that for a tech. I get all sweaty just opening the case to blow out dust every few years!But it sounds like maybe I don't have to buy a new sound card. Excuse the pun.--------------You have hurt the feelings of my true and faithful A7N8X m'board. I have had to reassure him that as long as he can support triple monitors, he will have a place in both my home and my heart!! (Translation: I can't afford his severance pay!)Alex Reid

tripo & MaxC- thanks for your fast replies- Avsim is amazing!Playing with the Bios is way over my head! I'll leave that for a tech. I get all sweaty just opening the case to blow out dust every few years!But it sounds like maybe I don't have to buy a new sound card. Excuse the pun.--------------You have hurt the feelings of my true and faithful A7N8X m'board. I have had to reassure him that as long as he can support triple monitors, he will have a place in both my home and my heart!! (Translation: I can't afford his severance pay!)Alex Reid
LOL Alex. Brilliant.William

Thers also a good chance that if the soundblaster was origionally buit with the system, that the onboard audio drivers were never installed.

Thers also a good chance that if the soundblaster was origionally buit with the system, that the onboard audio drivers were never installed.
Good point/ thanks: my local computer shop built this system 6 years ago and used some components from my old 'puter- including the Soundblaster card.That may well be the reason for the tape over the m'board audio ports- no drivers/no sound.Are these drivers still available 6 years later?Going to spend Christmas at my grandson's home- he's a prof. tech- maybe I'll take the box with me and test his skills!Alex Reid

Good point/ thanks: my local computer shop built this system 6 years ago and used some components from my old 'puter- including the Soundblaster card.That may well be the reason for the tape over the m'board audio ports- no drivers/no sound.Are these drivers still available 6 years later?Going to spend Christmas at my grandson's home- he's a prof. tech- maybe I'll take the box with me and test his skills!Alex Reid
Pop This into google and it will take you straight to the right place --> Realtek AC'97 Driver & Application A3.41 for Win98SE/WinME/Win2k/WinXP

Pop This into google and it will take you straight to the right place --> Realtek AC'97 Driver & Application A3.41 for Win98SE/WinME/Win2k/WinXP
Thanks Gary- I found it: but before dowmloading, what would I do with it if I got it? Making use of a download is a bit like handing me a grenade with the pin removed! Old too soon/smart too late.Alex Reid