Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

CaptainSim 757 AUTOLAND question

I have a light on the 2D panel that indicates "NO Autoland" I am not able to figure out how to enable this function. Is it possible, if so, what should I check.Thanks,jim

I have a light on the 2D panel that indicates "NO Autoland" I am not able to figure out how to enable this function. Is it possible, if so, what should I check.
When you are cleared for the approach and you are on intercept course to the localizer:1) Press APP to arm approach mode2) Arm the two other autopilotsI haven't actually tried in the CS 757 yet, but this is how it is supposed to work in the 757/767

I have a light on the 2D panel that indicates "NO Autoland" I am not able to figure out how to enable this function. Is it possible, if so, what should I check.Thanks,jim
Make sure the IRS's are aligned before departure.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Make sure the IRS's are aligned before departure.
I have completed the align IRS, and have captured the LOC and GS. Still, I can not get the three CMD lights to light. The left one is on. Pressing the center one does nothing. Pressing the right one, causes it to light, and turns out the left one. At no time are all three on. The plane does fly the approach OK (captures the LOC and Glide Slope). Just no autoland function. I guess my problem is the inability to get all three computers on at the same time. Any more ideas?jim

I have completed the align IRS, and have captured the LOC and GS. Still, I can not get the three CMD lights to light. The left one is on. Pressing the center one does nothing. Pressing the right one, causes it to light, and turns out the left one. At no time are all three on. The plane does fly the approach OK (captures the LOC and Glide Slope). Just no autoland function. I guess my problem is the inability to get all three computers on at the same time. Any more ideas?jim
I believe you need to be in proper landing configuration to get the Land 3 lights, ie: at approach speed (VREF+5) Flaps set (Remember to select the flap setting you are using on the approach page of the FMC), gear down, speedbrakes armed. If those conditions are met, then you should get the green Land3, and all 3 APs will light at about 1500ft AGL. I have both the CS757, and the 767, and that's how it works for me!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest CryogenicPilot
I believe you need to be in proper landing configuration to get the Land 3 lights, ie: at approach speed (VREF+5) Flaps set (Remember to select the flap setting you are using on the approach page of the FMC), gear down, speedbrakes armed. If those conditions are met, then you should get the green Land3, and all 3 APs will light at about 1500ft AGL. I have both the CS757, and the 767, and that's how it works for me!!
Correct.Real world autoland does a self-check with the ground equipment at 1500 FT AGL. If everything is OK, multiple autopilots should engage. However, I think Captain Sim does it differently than how a real Boeing Cat III instrument approach and autoland functions because I believe multiple autopilots (A,B,C) should already be engaged and checking their data with the ground equipment well above 1500 FT? On top of that, the pilot, or co-pilot has to manually engage the additional autopilots, too. Also, FLARE and ROLLOUT should also appear on the PFD to confirm your autoland status. Also, be sure to set DH to zero because in a real low visibility operation there is no DH, for obvious reasons.

Well, I just tried and it looks like you don't need to press anything - if you are configured correctly and in APP mode with LOC and GS captured, the two other autopilots engage automatically. This is not how the rw airplane behaves (according to the Mike Ray manual I have, anyway), where you have to arm the other two autopilots manually.

Well, I just tried and it looks like you don't need to press anything - if you are configured correctly and in APP mode with LOC and GS captured, the two other autopilots engage automatically. This is not how the rw airplane behaves (according to the Mike Ray manual I have, anyway), where you have to arm the other two autopilots manually.
Tom,Thanks for confirming that it works OK. I have tried a couple more flights, but still it is not working for me. As suggested, I armed the spoilers, set the auto brake to on, flew the landing speeds (and flap positions) as indicated on the FMC. I simply must be over looking something. I will continue to try to figure this out.Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.jim

Guest PPSFA

JimAt the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you are using an approach that Autoland will work with? It needs to be a full ILS, not just a LOC approach. If everything is right, as others have already said with AP #1 engaged, the other 2 should engage at 1500 ft AGL, it's always worked fine for me.

JimAt the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you are using an approach that Autoland will work with? It needs to be a full ILS, not just a LOC approach. If everything is right, as others have already said with AP #1 engaged, the other 2 should engage at 1500 ft AGL, it's always worked fine for me.
Jim stated, he intercepted both LOC and G/S ok so it has to be a full ILS. Jim, did you just installed this? Have you rebooted prior to or since using it? If not reboot and try it again.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Guest firehawk44
I just tried at SFO and it worked like a charm at Runway 28L. I just turned on APP and all 3 CMD lights come on immediately but NO Autoland until I completed the landing config. You're not going to get the Autoland to work if your gear is up for instance as the Flight Management System is telling you your aircraft can't land in this config. This has been a subject of much discussion over in the Unofficial Captain Sim Forum here on AVSIM and it use to be a problem but I believe CS has fixed it with their latest updates (you'll see I was really frustrated there!). The key is being on the glideslope, full flaps, landing gear down, speed reduced to VR Ref (my landing at SFO required 138 at the 30 flap setting - you set that up in the FMC), and speedbrakes armed. I believe my autoland light came on around 2500 but I can't be sure as I was watching a United DC10 (looked like a DC10 anyway) next to me coming in for a landing on 28R at SFO. We stayed next to each other all the way to landing and that doesn't happen all the time. Keep trying. It's worth the efforts!Best regards,Jim

I just tried at SFO and it worked like a charm at Runway 28L. I just turned on APP and all 3 CMD lights come on immediately but NO Autoland until I completed the landing config. You're not going to get the Autoland to work if your gear is up for instance as the Flight Management System is telling you your aircraft can't land in this config. This has been a subject of much discussion over in the Unofficial Captain Sim Forum here on AVSIM and it use to be a problem but I believe CS has fixed it with their latest updates (you'll see I was really frustrated there!). The key is being on the glideslope, full flaps, landing gear down, speed reduced to VR Ref (my landing at SFO required 138 at the 30 flap setting - you set that up in the FMC), and speedbrakes armed. I believe my autoland light came on around 2500 but I can't be sure as I was watching a United DC10 (looked like a DC10 anyway) next to me coming in for a landing on 28R at SFO. We stayed next to each other all the way to landing and that doesn't happen all the time. Keep trying. It's worth the efforts!Best regards,Jim
PROBLEM SOLVED. Ok, I think I found what I was doing wrong. I had not worked with the overhead panel switches. It looks as if after turning ON the HYD PUMPS, as part of the initial startup, the light that indicated "no autoland", turned off! From then on, as I descended through 1500 feet, the three computer lights turn on, and the autoland sequence worked! Thanks to everyone for all the help. That is what makes this group so nice to be part of.jim

PROBLEM SOLVED. Ok, I think I found what I was doing wrong. I had not worked with the overhead panel switches. It looks as if after turning ON the HYD PUMPS, as part of the initial startup, the light that indicated "no autoland", turned off! From then on, as I descended through 1500 feet, the three computer lights turn on, and the autoland sequence worked! Thanks to everyone for all the help. That is what makes this group so nice to be part of.jim
Yeah that's something that doesn't work on the CS757. With the hydraulics off, (including electrics) the control surfaces like flaps still work. Even in cold and dark setup!! Normally without hydraulics, you shouldn't even be able to get off the ground!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!