Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptCanada65

Real Environment Extreme (REX)

I have mixed emotions regarding REX. I agree it has some colors at sunset or sunrise that seem way too harsh or exaggerated----too intense. Too, the whole thing seems just too complicated and complex and intentionally so. I don't see a need to have a flight planner etc. I just want the clouds and other textures. I have de-installed and re-installed it about 4 times(and that's not fun--or easy) and I'm just not that impressed. Currently I have it installed. I have it set to *random* with max clouds selected in FSX, but it seems like the weather doesn't change much (don't use *real time* weather). Maybe I just don't know how to use the program, though I have read the manual a couple of times. Do you have to load a weather theme each time you start FSX? That takes forever.B. ScottPS - When re-installing and selecting the directory there is a forward slash depicted when it should be a back slash. That took a while to track down!!

I have mixed emotions regarding REX. I agree it has some colors at sunset or sunrise that seem way too harsh or exaggerated----too intense. Too, the whole thing seems just too complicated and complex and intentionally so. I don't see a need to have a flight planner etc. I just want the clouds and other textures. I have de-installed and re-installed it about 4 times(and that's not fun--or easy) and I'm just not that impressed. Currently I have it installed. I have it set to *random* with max clouds selected in FSX, but it seems like the weather doesn't change much (don't use *real time* weather). Maybe I just don't know how to use the program, though I have read the manual a couple of times. Do you have to load a weather theme each time you start FSX? That takes forever.B. ScottPS - When re-installing and selecting the directory there is a forward slash depicted when it should be a back slash. That took a while to track down!!
AFAIK if you don't use the weather engine or the flight planner, you can install the textures you want and leave it at that: no need to run REX everytime because the textures are installed in the FSX directories and will be used every time until you install another theme. You say you only want clouds and so on, well, if you like the ones that are installed now, forget about REX and simply run FSX straight away.

AFAIK if you don't use the weather engine or the flight planner, you can install the textures you want and leave it at that: no need to run REX everytime because the textures are installed in the FSX directories and will be used every time until you install another theme. You say you only want clouds and so on, well, if you like the ones that are installed now, forget about REX and simply run FSX straight away.
Exactly. You dont need to run REX unless you want to change textures. Once installed they stay until you change them. It can't be simpler. That said, if you want to use the other features like the weather engine, there is a bit of a learning curve to it like everything else. But again, I just use the textures and that is quite enough for me.

i don't use the flight planner and all that, but let me get this straight, because i'm a bit confused as well...when i installed REX2, did it automatically install all of those themes that are listed? or do i have to go in to REX and select each one, modify it (if i want to), and then install it in to FSX.i guess my question is, when i installed REX2, before i selected any textures and installed them in to FSX, do i see any REX textures? or do i have to first go through all the themes and install them in to FSX to see them? does this make sense?do i choose user defined weather or one within FSX that corresponds to the theme i installed in REX?

Exactly. You dont need to run REX unless you want to change textures. Once installed they stay until you change them. It can't be simpler. That said, if you want to use the other features like the weather engine, there is a bit of a learning curve to it like everything else. But again, I just use the textures and that is quite enough for me.
Well, that's what I assumed, but then what does selecting *Random* accomplish?B. Scott

Guest FSXBuster

"Random" means that you let REX choose the whole thing! If you want a surprise do that...If not, and you are like all the rest of us - i.e. complete visual perfectionists and landscape artists, more then aviators, then go to the menu and choose "a' la carte"!Honestly, I don't understand the confusion here, it's fairly easy to use, load the textures ( takes 10-15 min.) and forget about it. Use another weather engine, ASA f.ex. if you prefer, REX's weather engine takes ages to load, boring...

i guess my question is, when i installed REX2, before i selected any textures and installed them in to FSX, do i see any REX textures? or do i have to first go through all the themes and install them in to FSX to see them? does this make sense?do i choose user defined weather or one within FSX that corresponds to the theme i installed in REX?
This is a common misconception: a lot of people seem to think you can install various texturesets into FSX, or that you can install all themes into FSX. This is NOT the fact! FSX can only handle and show ONE set of textures! When you choose a specific theme in REX wich specific clouds, skies, water, etc. and let REX install them, ONLY those specific textures will show up in FSX. Mind you, that doesn't mean you only have for instance 'one cloud:' the textures contain enough er... information to fill the skies with all kinds of clouds, depending on the weather, but they will come from the same texture set. And so there is also ONE sky texture and ONE texture for the various kinds of water.FSX only has a specific amount of textures for the environment. REX replaces those default textures with new ones, but the new textures wil have the exact same name as the old default ones! Because FSX doesn't know how to handle any other files! The amount and names of texturefiles are ALWAYS the same. REX (or FEX or whatever addon) does not ADD any files: none at all, it only REPLACES files!So if you want really different clouds than you have installed now (lets say fluffy ones instead of thick ones), you have to run REX again, install other clouds and then ONLY those clouds will appear in the FSX world.In short: REX (and similar programs) do not ADD textures, they replace the default textures. And the amount and names of those textures will never ever change.Er... maybe someone can explain this is one sentence...? :(
or do i have to go in to REX and select each one, modify it (if i want to), and then install it in to FSX.
I hope you understand by now that if you would actually do that, you would simply install each theme OVER the previously installed theme (replacing it with a new one) and in the end ONLY the last theme you installed would show up in FSX. So no, don't do this!EDIT:About the weather: it doesn't matter if you use REX of FSX for setting up the weather: whatever you do, you will see the installed cloud textures, etc. Using REX or FSX weather doesn't influence the textures that are shown: every weather program simply uses the textures it always uses (as I said, the amount and names of textures will never ever change). However, REX has an option that will install different textures depending on the weather! But even then FSX still only shows ONE set of textures, namely the ones REX just installed. It's impossible to show different textures sets in one 'session' of FSX.

Just moving over to FSX.....Looking for info on REX.....is anything else needed to work with REX......I see the thing on GEX....Is Ultimate Terrain needed.

Guest FSXBuster

No, REX has nothing to do with GEX or UTX.REX = Sky, clouds, water, sun - and pls. note this: Runwaylights + runway- and taxiway textures!GEX = Ground UTX = Terrain- and they work together in filling up the barren wasteland of default FSX with wonderful new textures!Throw in a good landclass too, and you should be OK.

GEX = Ground UTX = Terrain
UTX mainly gives you real life roads and waters (not the textures but the borders, etc.) 'Terrain' makes it look as if it is the same as GEX...

I have *Random* checked but don't see any weather variation and FSX loads up quickly without additional time for changing REX textures!??Should there be any specific FSX cloud or weather settings while using REX? Cloud draw distance? Cloud density slider all the way right or left? Weather theme? Do any of these settings have any influence on REX?B. Scott

imo you must generate each different weather theme every time. This will take minutes, unless you uncheck the water options. The water doesn't have to be updated each time. Without the water it last ~ 1 minute to generate the weather theme.

I have *Random* checked but don't see any weather variation and FSX loads up quickly without additional time for changing REX textures!??Should there be any specific FSX cloud or weather settings while using REX? Cloud draw distance? Cloud density slider all the way right or left? Weather theme? Do any of these settings have any influence on REX?B. Scott
Which 'random' option do you exactly mean...? The random option in the Configure weather load procedure-window? Or did you press Random in the Theme creation menu...? There are various random options... And no, you don't have to use specific FSX settings in order to get REX working, so to speak. The settings in FSX will of course influence what you see, but REX textures will be used no matter what you do in FSX.
imo you must generate each different weather theme every time. This will take minutes, unless you uncheck the water options. The water doesn't have to be updated each time. Without the water it last ~ 1 minute to generate the weather theme.
You don't HAVE to do that. I bought REX in the meantime and I have certain textures/themes installed and those are used for any weather that REX or I myself create. It's not that certain clouds can ONLY be used for specific weather: the clouds I got right now look great on a sunny day but also when there is a thunderstorm. Same goes for the skies, etc. Okay, maybe specific weather would look even better which specific textures (haven't tested that yet because I already like what I've got) but it's not a must!

Hello,I have FEX, shoud I uninstall it before installing REX ?Tks,Ulisses