Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BFLANN

FS9 Sys Max

Hi Gurus,Thats to whom this post is addressed. Is there a thread on Avsim relating to what Microsoft states to be the max RAM, and GPU parameter for FS9 to function at optimal design performance?I see great threads on performance ranging from P4 CPU right up to i7 and RAM reports stating 2GB RAM max but I see many with 4GB and they say wonderful things about FS9...there has got to be a line for overkill somewhere with FS9?It would be interesting to read what you have learned over the last 5 years, and Happy New Year to you all at Avsim.Berne :( Im an XP HOME user.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is no overkill for programs like FS9 and FSX, the more the better. Windows XP caps at 3.5gigs of onboard ram. I bought 4 gigs but XP won't fully utilize it. With an OS like Windows 7 you can utilize memory beyond 4gigs the problem is getting all your add-ons to work in that environment. Some of the Dreamfleet birds have a problem and hopefully when Lou is fully back online we can solve these issues. I'm really waiting on the solid state drives (think of it as a big USB drive) where loading up FS (especially FSX) will be far faster than it is today and in sim performance concerning loading scenery as you fly across it will be as smooth as things are in the real world... Too much is never enough as long as your OS can handle it.

What's been reported is the aircraft don't load up and/or have problems with the gauges...

Hi Gurus,Thats to whom this post is addressed. Is there a thread on Avsim relating to what Microsoft states to be the max RAM, and GPU parameter for FS9 to function at optimal design performance?I see great threads on performance ranging from P4 CPU right up to i7 and RAM reports stating 2GB RAM max but I see many with 4GB and they say wonderful things about FS9...there has got to be a line for overkill somewhere with FS9?It would be interesting to read what you have learned over the last 5 years, and Happy New Year to you all at Avsim.Berne :( Im an XP HOME user.
No such thing as "overkill" in computing as it is better to have reserve CPU, Memory and GPU power than not enough.1. Latest and fastest i7 processor you can afford 2. 4Gb of fast RAM3. 64-Bit OS - Windows 7-64bit is a great fit and takes advantage of the extra memory3. Good motherboard (Asus is my poison of choice)4. 7200 Rpm hard drives or faster (Raid 0 if you can)5. The fastest video card you can afford with NO LESS than 512MB of RAM (1GB is recommended)The more you give to FS9 and FSX the more it will take.