Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Thanks to Oka

Many thanks to you, Oka, for the heads up for the FREE Howard 500 aircraft. Some how I missed that one. I use 3-26 inch monitors and the Howord 500 looks like a million bucks with those two, big checkerboard engines and props spinning on my left and right monitors. Only a couple of problems ( for me). I'd like to move the wing views with those engines back a little futher on my monitors so that I could see more of the ground scenery in front of the engines but the center VC cotpit view also has the props spinnning at the edge of that center view. When I move the wings views back a little bit I see two "arcs" of the prop spinning (one in front of the other) instead of just the one in the wing views. Is there any way to stop/turnoff the animated spinning prop in my center VC cotpit view? SOMEONE PUT IT IN SO THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO TAKE IT OUT??The other problem is the aircraft is hard to steer on the ground. If my taxi speed is less than about 25 kts, I have to give, say, full right rudder pedal and then hit the brakes before the plane starts to move right then I have to shift the rudder( with Go Flight rudder pedals) full left and hit the brakes for a second to stop the right swing. Is there any way to fix this? Other than those two problem I LOVE THIS AIRCRAFT. Is there any other great aircrafts like this that I might have missed? Thanks again Oka. jerrycwo4

Might you mean "Opa" instead of "Oka" ?? :(

Might you mean "Opa" instead of "Oka" ?? :(
Of cource, Opa...... I'll stand in the corner for an hour ! Sorry for the typo. No one gave me any answers to my questions; does anyone know the email address for Milton Shupe ? jerrycwo4

Of cource, Opa...... I'll stand in the corner for an hour ! Sorry for the typo. No one gave me any answers to my questions; does anyone know the email address for Milton Shupe ? jerrycwo4
LOL. Also, Jerry, might you mean "Of 'course' . . . " :( (Sorry -- Couldn't resist.)

Guest napamule

Jerry,That 500 has been out long time ago (2004). Well I liked it and tweaked it to fly 'real' per other comments / posts / suggestions. I also read the read me, and ALWAYS look at what's inside the cfg. This 'fix' (from Shupe himself) should help with your problemo.(Contact Points) //Howard 500//point.0 = 1, -38.815, 0, -1.1, 1574.803, 0, 0.667, 60, 0.3, 3, 0.5, 3, 5, 0, 194, 220 //STEERABLE tailwheel//Replace contact_point.0 below with the one shown above if you want a steerable tailwheel.//(This is done by removing '//' from line above to make it 'active' and adding '//' to line below to make it 'in-active').point.0 = 1, -38.815, 0, -1.1, 1574.803, 0, 0.667, 180, 0.3, 3, 0.5, 3, 5, 0, 194, 220 //Non-STEERABLE tailwheelLat uz no eef eet warked far yew (hehe).Chuck BNapamule

The other problem is the aircraft is hard to steer on the ground. If my taxi speed is less than about 25 kts, I have to give, say, full right rudder pedal and then hit the brakes before the plane starts to move right then I have to shift the rudder( with Go Flight rudder pedals) full left and hit the brakes for a second to stop the right swing. Is there any way to fix this? Other than those two problem I LOVE THIS AIRCRAFT. Is there any other great aircrafts like this that I might have missed? Thanks again Oka. jerrycwo4
Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but have you tried using differential power on your engines? That's how I steer my twin engine tail-draggers and it's a lot more realistic than doing the steerable tail wheel patch. I also steer the Duke this way too.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Three cheers for Opa. :( Thanks for all the help you have given me, and everyone else. Don

Guest napamule

Jerry,We forgot to address the 'prop' obstruction question. You need to change the (Views) values in aircraft cfg to allow manipulation of what you 'see' in VC view. Use values in pics ('after' jpg) to compare. Use of 'Shift+minus (or plus) will put final touch to get rid of prop blur in your center screen. The 'new' values for the (views) section in cfg are on the 'after' pic.And did you try to leave the tail wheel 'free wheeling' and lock / unlock it with 'Shift+G' feature? I did not fly it yet (doing re-install of FSX). It already has differential braking, which if anything, just makes the tail 'whip' around worse. ('Fix' is to make steering 40 instead of 60). I would do the change so it's steerable and use differential braking. Engine work to steer is fun, but it's just too much damn work for me. Remember: to use differential steering 'EFFECTIVELY' you MUST tap the trigger (or brakes) over and over to incrementally turn the tail wheel. You don't just hang on to brake and give it throttle.Smooth, controlable, steering with differential braking requires you give-n-take with taps of brake (trigger?) when you are moving (at least 1 kt, but best at 2 kts or better) AND have (some) rudder input (right or left as needed). So, add trottle to move, deflect rudder and tap brakes as you turn. The more you tap the more the tail wheel will 'turn' (deflect). You might be thinking: 'But differential braking is for main wheels..' and you'd be right. But that is how it works.Chuck BNapamule

Thanks guys, so much for those very detailed replies. I know personally how much time and effort that it takes to make such a detailed reply and specially when to add the photos that help so much. That was a lot to chew on in one bite so I'll save it and try the "fixes" in a few days. Thanks again for your time and effort. jerrycwo4

Somebody (cannt remember who) sent me the info to change the FS.9 config to a "steerable wheel" on the Howord 500 and now it steers great just using my rudder pedels. Thanks jerrycwo4