Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

c152flyboy

adding new hard drive, ?'s on updating OS, moving FSX and more

currently i have a 320 GB hard drive which contains Vista 64 bit, fsx, and everything else i have like MP3's, MS Office, and more. the drive is 75% filled so i thought now would be a good time to add a 2nd drive. also because i am getting ready to add some big scenery add on's and need more room. I have seen a lot of posts about keeping FSX on a different drive from the OS. so the questions i have are:1. if i add a new drive ( guess it would now be the D drive, what is the best way to move FSX and all my addons to the D drive ( uninstall/ reinstall? ) 2. what about if i just put my OS on the new drive and leave FSX and all the other stuff on the old C drive? would that work as well? it seems that would be easier.3. if i do that , how do i delete your OS from the old C drive?thank you in advance for any input, Kyle

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Kyle,The easiest thing to do is a clean install of your OS followed by a clean install of FSX and your addons. FSX itself could be moved using a utility to correct its registry entries. However, many addons themselves make registry entries which cannot be corrected with the utility used to move FSX. If you want to do it right my advice is to start with a clean slate.If you want to start clean you will need to have an OS install disk that can be booted from CD/DVD, then reformat your existing drive, followed by a fresh install of your OS. Professional and/or Ultimate versions of XP, Vista, and Windows 7 will allow you to boot from the install disk.Regards,Bob

Bob, let me ask a follow up question. lets assume i take my old hard drive from my old computer and add it into my new computer. i would need to transfer all the non FSX stuff like my music and videos and work documents to the new drive, then format the old drive, then load FSX and all the add on's ( and boy there are a lot of them ) correct?

Bob, let me ask a follow up question. lets assume i take my old hard drive from my old computer and add it into my new computer. i would need to transfer all the non FSX stuff like my music and videos and work documents to the new drive, then format the old drive, then load FSX and all the add on's ( and boy there are a lot of them ) correct?
I would get a new faster hard drive for FSX ... like a Sata 350GB or so if you motherboard handles Sata drives.After re-installing FSX, etc then add to your system your old drive just as a spare drive for whatever you want to use it for.
Kyle,The easiest thing to do is a clean install of your OS followed by a clean install of FSX and your addons. FSX itself could be moved using a utility to correct its registry entries. However, many addons themselves make registry entries which cannot be corrected with the utility used to move FSX. If you want to do it right my advice is to start with a clean slate.If you want to start clean you will need to have an OS install disk that can be booted from CD/DVD, then reformat your existing drive, followed by a fresh install of your OS. Professional and/or Ultimate versions of XP, Vista, and Windows 7 will allow you to boot from the install disk.Regards,Bob
I agree with sargeski, except that I suggest a 64 bit o/s and not Vista, go WXP or W7 and make sure the hardware is compatible with the o/s you choose.