Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tf51d

A step in the right direction

I happened to stumble on a plug-in for X-Plane called "Clear skies". There are versions for both MAC and Windows (Die hard X-planers probably already know about this!). What this plugin does is prevent X-Plane from artificially reducing visibility when it determines frame rates will suffer ( less then 19FPS ). This fixes one of my biggest pet peeves with X-Plane. Now if there was only a plugin to expand visibility past 25nm!Beware to much scenery still will send X-Plane frames into the single digits,Windowshttp://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=do...p;showfile=3580MAChttp://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autoco...p;showfile=1728

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nice!

Now if there was only a plugin to expand visibility past 25nm!
+1 Come on Laminar, modern multicore PC's can deal with more than 25NM visibility. At least give the user the option to specify 25, 50, 75, 100NM max visibility.I understand its a big change to the scenery engine but it should be in XP10 IMHO. :( 25NM max visibility really "sux" IMHO :(

I happened to stumble on a plug-in for X-Plane called "Clear skies". There are versions for both MAC and Windows (Die hard X-planers probably already know about this!). What this plugin does is prevent X-Plane from artificially reducing visibility when it determines frame rates will suffer ( less then 19FPS ). This fixes one of my biggest pet peeves with X-Plane. Now if there was only a plugin to expand visibility past 25nm!Beware to much scenery still will send X-Plane frames into the single digits,Windowshttp://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=do...p;showfile=3580MAChttp://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autoco...p;showfile=1728
Yes, this plugin has been out for a while - for me personally it wouldn

Maybe you should give MSFS a try again-cause the reason I fly it is the same-I rarely see below 40 fps..
Hi,as a matter of fact, I do start FSX up once in a while - and I have set it up so I will get framerate

Hi,as a matter of fact, I do start FSX up once in a while - and I have set it up so I will get framerate

So what you are saying then, is that X-Plane really doesn't perform better then FS2004 or FSX, since they can get good framerates even when visibility is 120nm+ and X-Plane can not.
I can

Good to hear Jan. Often when discussing sims I find many xplaner's either have never tried, seen, or own fs (perhaps in the past a mac thing?). For sims to improve I think one needs to use and compare all sims-and of course at a particular given time each will find their own preference depending on their needs. Yes I remember fs1 running on my Commodore 64 at 1 fps and being elated getting fs4 with the addition of a new voodoo card and a latest rig up to 11 fps. Times sure have changed-it is amazing what we have now!
You are absolutely right. It was easily possible to bank that Archer out of control between two displayed frames when over Chicago in FSII, I think there was an option to choose between the simulation rendering in "real time" (= possibly large bank angles between frames) or "limit aircraft movement between frames" (=distorting time, as the simulation time would slow down to allocate enough frames to a certain amount of airplane movement). Freaky stuff, and long forgotten.I have actually been a long time Sublogic/Microsoft Flight Simulator user. Lots of milestones, lots of memories. Bought a lot of scenery discs in the late 80s. Remember Sublogic