Sign in to follow this  
Guest smegger

ATC advice

Guest smegger

I would appreciate any advice that anyone is able to offer about ATC. I usually fly my PMDG 747 on flights that last about 2-3 hours, normally in western Europe but occasionally in the USA. I enter in the FMC the departure runway, the SID and a waypoint near the arrival airport (I don't know which runway I'll be using until I get near the airport). When I know the runway to use (from ATIS) I enter this and the STAR into the FMC and land. I'd like to be able to use a sensible ATC for the flight but the default ATC does not seem to be able to do this therefore I would like to pick the brains of more experienced simmers to hear what they do. Are there addons that you would suggest. Thanks.Phil.

I don't recommend any, but there are many that really like RadarContact. They have a forum next door you can check out.The default ATC is very poor. Nothing I've tried yet actually simulates live ATC, which is a very difficult thing to do apparently.

Dan Downs KCRP

I would appreciate any advice that anyone is able to offer about ATC.
As Don noted, none are very good. Radar Contact is better than the default, but I don't use it for reasons I won't get into here. The next version might have the things I'm looking for, so maybe I'll revisit it for version 5.As for using the default ATC, you have two aspects here. I don't know how well you know flight planning, but having a SID and a waypoint and a STAR isn't usually a flight plan, unless the flight is short. Then you have to have the flight plan interact with MSFS and then input into the bird. The latter is done with the FMS. Since I use the default ATC when I use ATC, I do some tricks. You can trick it into using a SID by putting the SID waypoints in the flight plan (assumes SID and runway combination work, which isn't always the case with the default programming.) So, as an example, I fly LMFN to EGLL a fair bit. When the flightplan first point is ALESO, the ATC just vectors me there, not terribly realistic. When I insert the SID points into the FP, I generally get vectored to them and cleared to follow the plan. It is sort of cheating, but it works. It also can involve either actively screwing with the weather to get the runway you want, or loading the FP after you figure out what runway you'll get. (Note: where parallel runways don't have the same waypoints, this can create back and forth with a flight planner, either the default or the add-on) MSFS will dump you on your plan and let you go, so it helps to be on the plan during the SID so you can fly it. Altitude, however, you're on your own, since they will usually clear you up pretty high initially. For approach, or more aptly, the arrival, I haven't found a work around. They will vector you all over the place, and if you're lucky, maybe you can find a STAR that looks like what they're doing, but generally I just accept vectors to final if I'm using the ATC (which, btw, isn't unrealistic in many situations). I find with the 744, the descents are often late vis-a-vis the profile, so sometimes I start requesting lower altitudes (which they always grant), to "fake it" before they actually would start my descent. (This prevents "slam dunks" and speed issues later on.) One other thing you should read about is flight planning. The default flight planner isn't very good. A lot of people use FSBuild. I tend to use RW plans and then use simroutes or another software to convert the plan into PMDG and FSX format. (Note: The FS format needs a cruise altitude, which you'll need to enter by editing the file in a text editor (you might be able to do it in FSX, but I find it tends to rewrite my plan.) If it is a short flight you can just create the FSX plan and type in the plan into the FMC. (Time consuming, but it lets you use the FMC if you're learning the bird. Typing a 12 hour flight into the FMC isn't something I'm going to do manually. Sorry.) So, short answer is none of the ATCs are great. If you want to use the default one, I can give you some more suggestions to try too.

My advice: try Radar Contact. You can find a lot of info in the Radar Contact forum and support is very quick. Is it perfect? No, but the author made it very flexible to overcome its imperfections. It is definately much better than default ATC. If you download the (extensive) manual, you have a rather good idea what the program is capable of. Version 5 is on it's way, but it might take a while before it is released.

Hi,Why don't you try to fly online either on VATSIM or IVAO. If you mostly fly within Europe you may consider IVAO which offer extensive ATC coverage for numerous european airports/airspaces. The United States are by far, better covered on VATSIM. Flying online under ATC coverage is the closest to reality which can be offered these days as far as ATC is concerned. To familiarize yourself you may join a virtual airline first. Most of them offer gradual training and PIREPS. Both IVAO and VATSIM have extensive reading material for both controllers and pilots. To fly online you need to download from the respective providers small software which are fairly easy to use. The only thing you definitely need is an internet connection and of course to knowledge of piloting.Cheers

Guest smegger

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm a bit nervous about flying online as I don't think I have enough experience and would probably be struck off. I might try Radar Contact for a while and then when I become more confident go on to online ATC. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm a bit nervous about flying online as I don't think I have enough experience and would probably be struck off. I might try Radar Contact for a while and then when I become more confident go on to online ATC. Thanks again.
All of them had good suggestions. Do not use the default ATC as it is very unpredictable and irrational (at times). I once used to flew with VATSIM, but I don't have constant internet connection that's why I resulted in looking for a better alternative. I agree that Radar Contact is a good replacement to live ATC.Fly safe and enjoy! :(

What is the general opinion of PFE pro flight emulator? I have it installed but havn`t got around to using it,one thing I like about simming is you dont have to bother with ATC!CheersJon b

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest Heavy_Driver
www.vatsim.net :( Trent
VATSIM has its own issues: mainly sporadic coverage.