Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus1

GTX-285 vs. HD-5870 for FSX and X-Plane

I would also recommend the new 5xxx ATI cards, I have a 5970 and it's really been paying off, I use Eyefinity with 3 monitors replacing a TH2Go, the ATI cards doesn't do supersampling well, but at 16x Adaptive multisampling you are almost there and the 10 fps boost has turned Tongass Fjords from non-flyable to flyable.I am truly happy with the swap.There is some slight tearing/v-Sync issues, but the smooth frames more than make up for it, it's not even really noticeable.I use DX9 with the enb bloom plugin.

I would also recommend the new 5xxx ATI cards, I have a 5970 and it's really been paying off, I use Eyefinity with 3 monitors replacing a TH2Go, the ATI cards doesn't do supersampling well, but at 16x Adaptive multisampling you are almost there and the 10 fps boost has turned Tongass Fjords from non-flyable to flyable.I am truly happy with the swap.There is some slight tearing/v-Sync issues, but the smooth frames more than make up for it, it's not even really noticeable.I use DX9 with the enb bloom plugin.
here is a link to a video I made landing in KSEA with my i7920 dell xps 730x and my new ATI 5870 video card. Keep in mind that the frames in this are cut by half of what I was getting in the game at the time. Even with that its pretty smooth. This is the pmdg md-11 I am using and also please go easy on me I am practicing manual landings this one although survivable wasn't very good. I was fighting wind came in too high, and flared too much. I use REX+GEX+UTX and FSGenesis. ASA provided the weather TraffiX AI traffic. all of these are running during this. in the game all they way done I was at 30 frames the whole time I have it locked to 30 in the display settings. This fraps vid I was getting 15 frames.I am running in DX10 preview mode with bloom on. I hope you enjoy it.GuthrieKSEA Landing

Guest FlyingBits
here is a link to a video I made landing in KSEA with my i7920 dell xps 730x and my new ATI 5870 video card. Keep in mind that the frames in this are cut by half of what I was getting in the game at the time. Even with that its pretty smooth. This is the pmdg md-11 I am using and also please go easy on me I am practicing manual landings this one although survivable wasn't very good. I was fighting wind came in too high, and flared too much. I use REX+GEX+UTX and FSGenesis. ASA provided the weather TraffiX AI traffic. all of these are running during this. in the game all they way done I was at 30 frames the whole time I have it locked to 30 in the display settings. This fraps vid I was getting 15 frames.I am running in DX10 preview mode with bloom on. I hope you enjoy it.GuthrieKSEA Landing
Nice Vid, thanks for sharring!

Nice Vid, thanks for sharring!
update I overclocked the ati 5870 using the auto tune feature in the ATI catalyst tool. it overclocked the card a good amount I turned up the fan a bit to keep heat down and fsx is running better and smoother than ever. frames improved and its smoother during pans and turns where before i got micro stutters. frames lock at 30 and the card crunches the frames fast right at the frame limit setting of 30.I love this card for FSX and I am sure you will too. If you are on the fence trust me don't hesitate on this card its worth every penny. one more thing...I learned in this process of upgrading that there is a ton of misinformation out there about how video cards dont matter in fsx blah blah...This is not true if you have an i7 system overclocked. Reason being if you throw that old nvidia 8800gtx on there that was the bomb before then it will completely bottleneck your cpu and then slow your whole system down. If you get yourself a higher end video card it will remove that bottleneck and your cpu will start to shine and you will see fsx for what it is...pure flight sim awesomeness.Guthrie

Guest FlyingBits
update I overclocked the ati 5870 using the auto tune feature in the ATI catalyst tool. it overclocked the card a good amount I turned up the fan a bit to keep heat down and fsx is running better and smoother than ever. frames improved and its smoother during pans and turns where before i got micro stutters. frames lock at 30 and the card crunches the frames fast right at the frame limit setting of 30.I love this card for FSX and I am sure you will too. If you are on the fence trust me don't hesitate on this card its worth every penny. one more thing...I learned in this process of upgrading that there is a ton of misinformation out there about how video cards dont matter in fsx blah blah...This is not true if you have an i7 system overclocked. Reason being if you throw that old nvidia 8800gtx on there that was the bomb before then it will completely bottleneck your cpu and then slow your whole system down. If you get yourself a higher end video card it will remove that bottleneck and your cpu will start to shine and you will see fsx for what it is...pure flight sim awesomeness.Guthrie
Glad your enjoying that nice card!Back in FS2k days I worked with the driver engineers for both NV and ATI, there is just something in ATIs culture that always made me feel they didnt support the gaming side of things, looked down on it in fact, even when they came out and trumped NVs hardware, the driver support was just always lagging, I dont think NVs is all that great right now, but I dont know If I will ever go back to ATI hardware mainly because I still hear that ATI just wont fund that departemnt very well.Waiting to see what Fermi is like, the 285 is just fine untill then though.

I know, but one GPU of my GTX-295 is not as performant as one GPU of the HD-5870 :)
Understood, but FSX doesn't need a 5870. The 295 is two 260's. You could always overclock the card a little, but shouldn't be necessary. Give it a try.
That bugger '5970' is mightly expensive. Where did you purchase it?