Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest realatp

Wouldn't it be cool if......(Scenery)

I have freeware Scenery for Windsor (CYQG) and London (CYXU) and many other airports I love for FS2004. I wish I could convert them to FSX, I absolutly love this scenery and its so hard to give it up. Any solutions? I could send the files and get permission to do so if some is interested.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Do you need to actually convert them? I think you can just add them into the FSX scenery library and they would work as is (FSX is backwards compatible with FS9 for the most part).

I would try just copying it to your FSX folder and registering it in your scenery library. I'm doing the same right now with the Overland airports and they work well with just dropping them into the Addon Scenery folder.

Unfortunately it sometimes is not that easy. There are sometime issues with the AFCADs, textures appearing black or not transparent, elevation issues since FSX has round earth, and other anomalies. You can always try, but a lot of times it wont work or display correctly. A good example is the KPDX scenery done by Vauchez. You can make it work, but you have to remove certain files, disable parts of Ultimate Terrain if your using it and come up with a new airport mapping file to get the AI to park correctly.One day I tried putting FlyTampas Vienna scenery in FSX and it wouldn't display right. Fortunately some of the developers are working on patching their older FS9 sceneriers to work in FSX and some are not because those sceneries have changed enough in real life that they would have to be completely redone anyway.Like I said you can always try and if it doesn't work you can take it out without to much hassle.What I would do though is install the scenery you plan on trying into a fake FS9 folder, then take all those folders and install them in FSX. This way you know exactly what you have being installed and where. Sometimes using the uninstaller wont completely remove all parts of a scenery and you maybe left with bits and pieces scattered around your FSX folders that you aren't aware of.