Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhiteKnight77

Hanger Collapse at Dulles

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but AvCanada has the best pictures of the Dulles Jet Center hanger where the roof collapses damaging several planes and leaving at least 3 with their nose in the air. The Dulles airport has seen some record snows this past week and the Baltimore area has shattered records dating back to the 1800's with over 79" of snow.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but AvCanada has the best pictures of the Dulles Jet Center hanger where the roof collapses damaging several planes and leaving at least 3 with their nose in the air. The Dulles airport has seen some record snows this past week and the Baltimore area has shattered records dating back to the 1800's with over 79" of snow.
Yes, that's pretty ugly. I believe that hanger had a flat roof and heard individuals/businesses with flat roofs or those flat over hangs some people put their cars under had a better chance of collapsing. I live in the No VA area and "only 55.4 inches" fell in this area so far this winter. Baltimore always gets more snow as they are further north but heard they broke a record too. The 55.4 inch record broke an 1899 record for this area. Most years I can golf year around here and feel sorry for those living north of me but it's not going to happen this year! I have 20 plus inches on my roof top and have some concerns but hope there will be some melting going on soon to get rid of it before another storm arrives. Thanks for the link!Jim

About a dozen areas in my state had collapses, but nothing like that, ouch! Really I think it should be building code to make roofs angled.

I was looking at the pics robbreid posted and you can see the failure of welds in the beams. Once those went, the beam's web failed too. I am sure they will be doing a failure analysis on them. I wonder if my company will be doing it?