Sign in to follow this  
TC1

About to purchase a new computer

I am about to purchase a new computer. Because of my investment in FS9, I have no intentions in moving to FSX. What is the maximum computer that I can purchase that will run FS9 effectivitley? That is max processor, memory, operating system, 32/64 bit etc. I am currently using Windows XP Home, and all of my home based software packages (MS Word. Excel, Powerpoint, Access) are geared for XP. I would guess that these packages will run under Windows 7, but if I go with Windows 7 as my oprating system, will I have problems with FS9.Under FS9, I have the current software packages from Dreamfleet, Level-D, PMDG, Carenado, Aerosoft, Eaglesoft and Digital Aviation. Also a small number of sceneries from the most common providers.ThanksTom

Tom,Check the spec in my signature. This system can run FS9 with FPS going no lower than mid 20s at airports like FSDreamTeam's Chicago and JFK with 100% Ai (Ultimate Traffic). Often the FPS remains locked at 50.You could buy a Intel i5 processor but that is total overkill. Of course you probably can't buy an E8400 now so go with the cheapest i5 and you will be fine. If you're going to run several apps as well as FS then a quad-core might be better.Same goes for Windows7. FS9 just cannot benefit from it and I would advise you to stick to XP. There's no evidence FS9 will run any faster in W7 and indeed, may run slower.We're in the fortunate position of having hardware that can give excellent results with FS9 now. Spend as much as you need for a decent system and invest the rest on FS software.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

HelloI agree with Ray, It would be hard to find a new PC that would not run FS9 well nowadays.I am running an E6600 @ 3.2 ghz with a GTX260 1900x1200 on a 27" dell monitor and have my frames locked at 30.The Eaglesoft B400 which can be hard on the frames gets 30fps taking off from Flytampa KSEA.But if you see FSX in your future at some point then an i7 or i5 may be the way to go

Yup, agree with the others. My system (a little higher then the rest) really runs fs9 at its max...cant imagine the i7s really doing much better for fs9.I'd go with a e8500 (get a decent cooler is overclock to 4.0ghzGet a top line 9800 video card or a 260 or 275 if budget allows.Get a good PSU, I'd say atleast 600W.Get 4 gigs of 800 memory or highera 64bit OS, and you're set.

About the 32/64 bit. I thought I read that FS9 would not run properly on a 64 bit system. Is that an incorrect statement?Tom

About the 32/64 bit. I thought I read that FS9 would not run properly on a 64 bit system. Is that an incorrect statement?Tom
HelloFS9 runs great here on XP64, However I had some problems on Win7 64 but it might have been my combination of hardwarethe last windows update for Win 7 fixed a couple of problems for me but still not as good as XP64

First - Thanks everybody for your quick answers.With FS9 I thought that there was a 4GB memory limitation if I used XP. Is there such a limitation with FS9 and Windows 7?Tom

I would highly, highly recommend that you check out the systems from jetlinesystems.com. They made my last flight sim computer and I am very very happy with it. Also think hard about upgrading to a 3 monitor system. You will NOT be sorry. Sure it costs more than a single monitor system but there is NO comparison flying with 3 vrs 1 monitor. I know about "I Track" but it's not even close. There is nothing like flying with 3 monitors. I get a 5 foot + field of view that is "breath taking". Save your money and go for 3 monitors and a system from Jetline. jerrycwo4

First - Thanks everybody for your quick answers.With FS9 I thought that there was a 4GB memory limitation if I used XP. Is there such a limitation with FS9 and Windows 7?Tom
HelloNo such limitation with XP 64bit or Windows 7 64Bit, the key here is you need a 64bit OS

I thought I read some place where Windows 7 creates a parition/folder that moves some products to an area that will only run under a 32 bit OS. Is that correct? If that capability exists should I purchase the Windows 7 64 or XP 64?Tom

I thought I read some place where Windows 7 creates a parition/folder that moves some products to an area that will only run under a 32 bit OS. Is that correct? If that capability exists should I purchase the Windows 7 64 or XP 64?Tom
Personally, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to "upgrade" to 64 bit. Many articles i've read say that the majority of software is still being written for 32 bit. Programmers are very slow making the jump to 64 bit. Then there's the occasional application(usually older) that won't run on a 64 bit OS, and last but not least, you will gain more in FS9 from increasing processing power, and to some extent, the video card, than you will from the increased memory addressing capabilities of a 64 bit OS. FS9 is CPU intensive, not RAM intensive.

XP limits to 3 GB RAM without using tricks. Wasn't XP supposed to be abandoned by MS for safety updates a year ago? Many businesses resisted Vista so MS kept up providing XP and patches longer than I think they had planned to. But this will stop some time now that Win 7 is here.I would go with Win 7 over XP.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

GET a 64bit OS.A 64bit OS was the BEST flight sim add on I ever purchased. If you run any kind of add on airplanes and scenery a 64bit OS is a must have.

XP limits to 3 GB RAM without using tricks. Wasn't XP supposed to be abandoned by MS for safety updates a year ago? Many businesses resisted Vista so MS kept up providing XP and patches longer than I think they had planned to. But this will stop some time now that Win 7 is here.I would go with Win 7 over XP.
I would definately go with Win7 if you're using the machine for general use as well as FS...I'd just make it a 32 bit ver. :(

GET a 64bit OS.A 64bit OS was the BEST flight sim add on I ever purchased. If you run any kind of add on airplanes and scenery a 64bit OS is a must have.
You don't think that 7500 had anything to do with it? :(