Sign in to follow this  
avrbifly

Strange behavior just before touching down

Andrew beat me to it but yes, this does sound like your realism settings are set to not detect crashes. Of course this doesn't fix the problem, but being shot up 500' in the air is exactly what is done in that case when a crash is detected. I still cannot find my completed KBOS file which is sad, but trying my posted one above produced a crash (not lock up) on my first attempt flying 33L. Harry may be on to something here, but I can't see where the issue is in ADE. It seems like there's an invisible mdl right before the runway and my MD-11 just crashes 100' above the runway threshold.
Crash detection is disabled. would I get different resuts with crash detection enabled?

RIch

ATP CFII

Crash detection is disabled. would I get different resuts with crash detection enabled?
Yes, like I said "You will most likely crash". Then again, maybe the crash barrier in the sim is greater than the actual detection barrier and could possibly yeild a different result for you? I doubt it but at this stage it's worth trying.Harry, using your methods could you maybe touch up (fix) KBOS and post some notes on what you did? You're welcome to use the file I posted above also of course.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

It's too easy to try.. but I thought maybe it was on and causing it for whatever reason. I think Harry has a good idea and offers an reasonable explanation. But now why do some experience and not others? This one would most definitely get a lot of posts here if it were common.

Dan Downs KCRP

Oh... re-reading Dan's post... i'd probably get the crash @ 100 ft with crash detection on.Rich

RIch

ATP CFII

Oh... re-reading Dan's post... i'd probably get the crash @ 100 ft with crash detection on.Rich
DanP,Do you see any advantage with your 285/260 in SLI?
DanP,Do you see any advantage with your 285/260 in SLI?
sorry 295/260 in SLI. I ordered a GTX 260 216. wondering if I should try to SLI with my 9800GTX

RIch

ATP CFII

Hi Rich, I don't run them in SLI, but I do run the GTX260 on PhysX while the 295 runs normally. I have never seen a benefit running SLI or even my configuration with FS. The higher end video card sure does help but really only when cranking out higher resolutions, so not much noticed to most. There is very little (if any) difference when I run just my 260 or just my 295. But it does help when running my resolution in 5040x1050. Other than that I never seen a difference in running the 260.Edit: You wouldn't be able to run them in SLI anyway, not your mentioned configuration anyway. You can't run a 260 in SLI with a 9800 and both need to be the same GPU to run SLI.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Rich,I don't run them in SLI, but I do run the GTX260 on PhysX while the 295 runs normally. I have never seen a benefit running SLI or even my configuration with FS. The higher end video card sure does help but really only when cranking out higher resolutions, so not much noticed to most. There is very little (if any) difference when I run just my 260 or just my 295. But it does help when running my resolution in 5040x1050. Other than that I never seen a difference in running the 260.Edit: You wouldn't be able to run them in SLI anyway, not your mentioned configuration anyway. You can't run a 260 in SLI with a 9800 and both need to be the same GPU to run SLI.
Thanks Dan. Should be getting my 260 tonight. Hoping the extra memory will allow me to smooth things out even more.Rich

RIch

ATP CFII

Yes, like I said "You will most likely crash". Then again, maybe the crash barrier in the sim is greater than the actual detection barrier and could possibly yeild a different result for you? I doubt it but at this stage it's worth trying.Harry, using your methods could you maybe touch up (fix) KBOS and post some notes on what you did? You're welcome to use the file I posted above also of course.
Dan, Dan, Rich,Just some short notes now, rest has to wait till at least after the weekend.First spotted this problem when ""flying"" the Queen onto the runway 04L at JFK.That started some testing here and I did find a method to adapt the scenery with Airport Design Editor.This was in sept. 2008 and my problem was solved. When the MD11 was released, from Long Beach, I made an intermediate landing JFK04L without the adapted scenery and she showed same uncontrolled landing behavior.Situation:FSX SP1 and SP2Default FSX sceneryNo external add-onsCrash detection OFFVery basic indeed, but good to tackel problems.What did I change using ADE:Displaced threshold for 04L with a length of 100 meters (333 ft). This is more a cosmetic change as the real runway has it too.It also moves the touch down markings near the GS antenna.Moving the GS antenna further was not my chosen option.Instead I created a small Terrain Polygon where the aircraft goes below 100 ft.This polygon is at airport altitude, directly in front of 04L, (glued to the fence) giving it Type: Airport Background and Tag: Flatten.This is not really cosmetic, scenery is not my real thing, after trying several shapes of this polygon I can live with the looks, but more important, my landings on this runway are back to normal.Rich, SFO does not have this problem, never encountered that.One more thing that just strikes me:On JFK04L the Localizer for 22R is placed offset. When looking to BOS33L the Loc for 15R is also offset.Maybe not playing a role, but another "commonality"Hope some can make their own adaption to the scenery where needed.Regards,Harry

On JFK04L the Localizer for 22R is placed offset. When looking to BOS33L the Loc for 15R is also offset
Thanks, Harry. As a note for others, the offset localizer means you cannot use autoland so below MDA you should be hand flying.

Dan Downs KCRP

This brings me back. I remember my very first post here in the PMDG forums was about the this offset and it was pointed out that is was like that in the real world as well. Ahhh the memories.

Dan Prunier

I was reluctant to post anything, but this same issue has shown up on my new i7 build so I'm wondering what might be the underlying cause. I'm running the MD-11 with Ultimate Traffic 2. On my last system it was very repeatably that on approach to 33L in BOS at about 50-100 feet on short final the airplane would suddenly leap onto the runway. Kind of startles you because you'll suddenly hear the firm touchdown and the Spoilers deployed call. I thought it was just some bug with BOS 33L, but last night on my new system I got the same repeatably results landing at LGA RWY 13 and 22. Only common HW component between the two systems is the PNY 9800GTX+ card, but I wouldn't think that would have an effect? Anybody have any ideas. This is a definate head scratcher.Thanks,Richi7 920 6G DDR3CAS7 PNY 9800GTX+ 512MB video
Hi Rich, DanD and DanPQuite an old topic, but it still bothered me. Until now that is!Upgrading my computer forced me to uninstall -400X, MD11X and FSX.After re-installing all, I had to reconfigure the simulation and found the reason for this topic to happen.In the Settings - Display - Scenery screen Mesh resolution can be set.If I set this to a value less then 10m, PMDG's heavies will sort of crash-land on the runways we are looking at here.Now, sometimes I need a high mesh resolution (for soaring) but could care less when flying airliners.To keep my landings 'save', I made an Airline.cfg and Gliding.cfg each with customized settings for the joy required.Starting FSX I first select one of these cfg files and then continue to load what I want.In short:Set your Mesh resolution slider to the left, at least to 10m or above.Hope it helps.Best regards,Harry

Guest yurob70

I had the same Problem too just Worser.I was Flying with the MD-11 and ASE suddenly the plane kipped 30Feet over ground extrem to the right unrecoverable and crashed.every time on takeoff too.the problem was i had forgett to edit the FSX.cfg after i edited the FSX.cfg it was solved it stays in ASE manual waht you have to make in the FSX.cfg,try to reinstall PMDG MD-11 and test fly at Perfect weather to Logan Rwy 33L does it happen again?if no then do the same with extrem bad weather and crosswind.if it then happens again then make this under [Weather] change TurbulenceScale=1.000000 too TurbulenceScale=0.500000

Set your Mesh resolution slider to the left, at least to 10m or above
I've not had to do that Harry, interesting finding.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've not had to do that Harry, interesting finding.
Hi Dan,Good to see you'r save there.Let's see if it helps the OP, Rich, to solve this.As you indicated earlier, it's a very remote case. Few runways to qualify for this.For the moment I'am running PMDG's MD11 without any add-ons.For me this setting now solves the problem with the MD11.Simular tests with the -400x (where I first encounterd this), have to follow.Regards,Harry

Hi Rich,Interesting problem. I wonder if FSX is recaching at this point and your CPU is playing catch up. I fly out of or into Boston several times a day and 33L a lot lately since the winds have been gusting in that direction.Try this: This isn't my finished file, but a close final (cannot find my finished after an hour of looking :( ). It is a more realistic Logan (KBOS), with actual Taixways and new runway they did a few years ago. I will continue to look and hopefully find the finished file and update later.Unzip this file and place it in your FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery folder. It will overide your KBOS file and to uninstall it, simply remove the file from that folder. Do the same approach and see if you get the same results. I know this isn't an answer but might see if it's your afcad/bgl file.Download my file here.Also, try running in windowed mode and see if the same thing happens. The file load will be different enough to cause the hiccup a little later if it is a recach problem of some sort. In windowed mode you can also run Task manager and keep an eye on your other processes to see if any are spiking your CPU usage at the time, although I doubt it would be seen as anything other than fsx.exe.
DanDid you ever find your final KBOS file and if you did could you post it please?Thank youMichael Cubine