Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

What would be a great Bush Flying aircraft?

Guest cliffie1931

Till now I've found the RealAir Marchetti to be a great aircraft for enjoying spectacular scenery.However it would be interesting to learn what others may consider to be an even better plane for this purpose.Unfortunately the Bush Flying Forum appears to be closed or I would have posed the question there.Cliff

I would say that is such a hard question to answer...really.What do ya wanna do?I will say this. There would be many who would answer "____ is the greatest or ____ is the greatest"For the purpose(s) they answer, they are right. It comes down to taste/what ya like & what yer doin. I live in Alaska & have all my life. RL pilots would prolly answer..the beaver..the super cub..the 185 is the greatest. Each one is in their own right fer what they are used for.We happen to have all the above in FS. There is also J-3 cubs which use a calendar in place of a speedo (joke)If ya take yer time & search the forums under what type(s) strike yer fancy...you'll see a buncha threads & read thru 'em.Then you'll get a better idea I'm sure.Hope that helps. Ps: I use a Cessna 206, super cub, Beaver and 185...all depends on what I'm doin or what I feel like flyin. That's jest me tho..LOLSo, don't limit yerself if ya can help it (meaning wallet ability) and get several. Then you are set for most occasions & you'llmake some developers happy all the way around too.If ya like turbines, there's the twin otter & Kodiak in FS.Dusty out.

At the moment it doesn't get more realistic than the A2A Simulations Piper J-3 Cub with Accusim package. The only downside is that it's very slow (around 70 knots max cruising speed), and of course it wouldn't carry much cargo in the real world. It's more of a one passenger shuttle kind of aircraft. Incidently the A2A Cub includes the virtual passenger Heidi, who reacts to the way you fly and calls out traffic.cubj.jpgMy second best recommendations would be equally the Carenado Cessna 206 Station Air and the Carenado Cessna 185 Skywagon. Both are great and rugged multi purpose aircraft that are perfect for the bush. The Cessna 185 will need an additional upcoming bush package (skis, floats, amphibious, tundra tires, cargo pack) to be perfect, though. The basic package is just the normal taildragger version.206t.jpg185c.jpgMy third suggestion is the Flight Replicas Piper Super Cub. Faster and a lot more powerful than the J-3 Cub. It comes in different packages for different uses or as complete package with 18 variations, different cockpit configurations and different engine loadouts. The visuals are a little sub par, but the variety and flight model make up for that.supercub.jpgIf you want a bigger multi engine aircraft, the Aerosoft DeHavilland Twin Otter would be your best bet. With her powerful turboprop engines with reverse thrust she gets in and out of places that even some smaller planes have trouble with.twotter.jpgAnd as far as helicopters are concerned: nothing beats the Dodosim Bell Jet Ranger 206. An absolutely realistic flight model that to my knowledge is unsurpassed in any civil flight simulator. Only the DCS Black Shark sim is up to snuff on that one, I think.dodot.jpgI don't know about the Aerosoft Beaver. I hear it's great but thus far I've settled for the default version that ships with FSX Deluxe.

Apart from the mentioned planes, you might consider the Quest Kodiak from Lionhearts Creations. It will get you out and into the smallest places and it's pretty fast too! It's got a glass cockpit, which is a nice change for a bushplane.

I am partial to amphibians for the type of aircraft about which you ask. A few suggestions:Freeware consideration from this site or FlightSim:1. Dehavilland dh2t Turbo Beaver Amphibian: (dh2t_fop.zip)2. DHC2av2 Beaver by Steven Grant, Fred Choate, and Aaron Swindle, and Fred BantingPayware:1. The FSD International Pilatus PC 6 Porter is outstanding IMHO.2. MAAM has a DC3 Amphibian if you would like a biggie.I also have an old version of the Maule M7-260 on skis , wheels, tundra wheels, spring gear, and taildragger as well as the amphibian. I don't remember whether it was freeware or payware. If you can find it, you will know you have the one I am talking about when you select it out of the FS options. It opens with a preflight checklist.If you find where to locate it, Bill Lyons had an excellent J3 Cub also on wheels, skis, or floats (No amphibian to my knowledge). Possibly someone else can point you to a sight where it could now be located.All of these are functional as bush planes under different situations. Hope you find something to your likingRespectfully:RTH

Bush Hawk XP (FSX only). Three base models, Amphibian, Ski and WheeledThirty plus liveries, many different interiorsIFR/VFR panelExtensive animationsHighly detailed flight modelDimmable Interior lightingIncluded Payload calculatorDetailed Realism setting dialogFully functional VC (no 2d main panel included)100% DX 9 and DX 10* compatible (* External lights might not be displayed by certain graphics chipsets if you use DX10 preview mode)Nine missions (or better described as Assisted Flights)bushhawk_7.jpgbushhawk_13.jpgbushhawk_15.jpg

Guest cliffie1931
At the moment it doesn't get more realistic than the A2A Simulations Piper J-3 Cub with Accusim package. The only downside is that it's very slow (around 70 knots max cruising speed), and of course it wouldn't carry much cargo in the real world. It's more of a one passenger shuttle kind of aircraft. Incidently the A2A Cub includes the virtual passenger Heidi, who reacts to the way you fly and calls out traffic.cubj.jpgMy second best recommendations would be equally the Carenado Cessna 206 Station Air and the Carenado Cessna 185 Skywagon. Both are great and rugged multi purpose aircraft that are perfect for the bush. The Cessna 185 will need an additional upcoming bush package (skis, floats, amphibious, tundra tires, cargo pack) to be perfect, though. The basic package is just the normal taildragger version.206t.jpg185c.jpgMy third suggestion is the Flight Replicas Piper Super Cub. Faster and a lot more powerful than the J-3 Cub. It comes in different packages for different uses or as complete package with 18 variations, different cockpit configurations and different engine loadouts. The visuals are a little sub par, but the variety and flight model make up for that.supercub.jpgWhat an interesting bunch of replies. It's wonderfully amazing how generous Members are with their time.I have the J3 Cub but it's not powerful enough for the mountains I want to fly over. Your second choice, the Cessna 206, seems as if it's not suitable for FSX. But the one that tempts me most is your suggestion of the Piper Super Cub by Flight Replicas. Can you tell me it's cruising speed and whether the mixture can be leaned as it climbs higher?If others that have replied read this please also accept my thanks for your suggestions.If you want a bigger multi engine aircraft, the Aerosoft DeHavilland Twin Otter would be your best bet. With her powerful turboprop engines with reverse thrust she gets in and out of places that even some smaller planes have trouble with.twotter.jpgAnd as far as helicopters are concerned: nothing beats the Dodosim Bell Jet Ranger 206. An absolutely realistic flight model that to my knowledge is unsurpassed in any civil flight simulator. Only the DCS Black Shark sim is up to snuff on that one, I think.dodot.jpgI don't know about the Aerosoft Beaver. I hear it's great but thus far I've settled for the default version that ships with FSX Deluxe.

Might want to give the Aerosoft Dornier Do-27 a look. It's a very nice add on and makes a good bush flyer too.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Your second choice, the Cessna 206, seems as if it's not suitable for FSX.
The Cessna 206 is available as native FSX model, so no problem there.
But the one that tempts me most is your suggestion of the Piper Super Cub by Flight Replicas. Can you tell me it's cruising speed and whether the mixture can be leaned as it climbs higher?
The climbing capability really depends on which of the variations you choose. The 18 variations of the complete package range from an 95HP engine to the experimental extreme version with 210HP. The moderate versions with 150-160HP already allow for very steep climb rates and altitudes, so they are perfect for the mountainous terrain. They all have mixture control, and most them have an Exhaust Gas Temperature indicator as well. So leaning them is no problem.The max recommended cruise speed for all of them ist 110mph (~95 knots).

Guest cliffie1931
Bush Hawk XP (FSX only). Three base models, Amphibian, Ski and WheeledThirty plus liveries, many different interiorsIFR/VFR panelExtensive animationsHighly detailed flight modelDimmable Interior lightingIncluded Payload calculatorDetailed Realism setting dialogFully functional VC (no 2d main panel included)100% DX 9 and DX 10* compatible (* External lights might not be displayed by certain graphics chipsets if you use DX10 preview mode)Nine missions (or better described as Assisted Flights)bushhawk_7.jpgbushhawk_13.jpgbushhawk_15.jpg
I reckon this is the baby I've been looking for.Thanks Shane.I note that the 747-400 is your current office. Well.......although I only have a Private Pilot's license I've spent many, many hours trying to master the PMDG 747-400. It's the contast between "The Queen" and Bush flying that has made me want to try the latter.After reaching the stage where I can program 747 FMC I've realised just how much there is to understand and envy you the hours you're able to spend in the Airline Simulator. If you've tried the PMDG 747 I'd be fascinated to hear what you think of it.Cliff
The Cessna 206 is available as native FSX model, so no problem there.The climbing capability really depends on which of the variations you choose. The 18 variations of the complete package range from an 95HP engine to the experimental extreme version with 210HP. The moderate versions with 150-160HP already allow for very steep climb rates and altitudes, so they are perfect for the mountainous terrain. They all have mixture control, and most them have an Exhaust Gas Temperature indicator as well. So leaning them is no problem.The max recommended cruise speed for all of them ist 110mph (~95 knots).
Thanks Patrick.

If you like the Real Air SF260, you won't be disappointed by the Real Air Scout package. You get three planes (Citabria, Decathalon, and Scout) with 3 models of the Scout (regular, tundra tires, and float). I'll also second the recommendation for the Aerosoft Twin Otter, if you're looking for something bigger.

If you would like to try something a bit different you could consider the Bell 609 Tilt Rotor by Wilco.It's great for bush flying because it's capable of both VTOL (vertical take off and landing) and STOL (short take off and landing). It's good for sight seeing too because it has good visibility and you can easily fly at any speed from a stationary hover to speeds over 300knots. Just remember to use the low detail virtual cockpit setting in FSX - it looks identical to the high detail virtual cockpit but will run at much higher frame rates.Watch the YouTube video here: www.wilcopub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod_tiltrotor071017-bellagusta609-02.jpg p.s. The RealAir FS260 is my favourite plane too.

Have you considered the EH-101 Helicopter that comes with the FSX Acceleration pack? It flys as fast as the SF260, it's more stable than the standard FSX helicopters and has better visability than any other aircraft I've tried (except for the microlite).1989618225_c620101e3a.jpg

Till now I've found the RealAir Marchetti to be a great aircraft for enjoying spectacular scenery.However it would be interesting to learn what others may consider to be an even better plane for this purpose.Unfortunately the Bush Flying Forum appears to be closed or I would have posed the question there.Cliff
I would suggest the Quest Kodiak by Lionheartcreations.Looks great, handles well, lots of power when you need it... very rugged - can go into the smallest airstrips

Bert