Sign in to follow this  
realpilotsimpilot

J41 Airmanship question

I am consistently way too fast on my approaches with the J41. I suspect it is a variant of the old chestnut that the bird can either "slow down or go down", but not both, at the same time. So, here's the typical scenario: I'm flying along at about 170 being vectored for the approach, I get it down to 150, as I'm vecored onto final, and then I bring it back to idle and drop the last bit of flaps and gear and head down the localizer. Even at landing configuration, I can't get it down below about 130 on a standard glide slope. Give that the VREF is usually in the 115-125 range, this is annoying me. So, any tips would be much appreciated. I suppose I could slow to VREF before intercepting the glide slope, but something tells me that a lengthy approach at 120ish would be highly irritating to controllers at a large, busy airport.

You really need to slow down close to VREF before hand , the J41 with it's geared drive has a constant 20% (or so) torque it's not so easy to slow down during decent. Though I don't remember really having much of a problem when I have flown it. (back in the MD-11 seat lately)

Start you glideslope descent near your target approach speed, which means you have to get below 150 earlier than you are doing. The trick is when ATC asks you to keep your speed up as long as possible, I can keep 140kts in the C414 until 1 mile final but the JS41 needs to 'level off' to bleed the speed. It's tricky.

Dan Downs KCRP

Start you glideslope descent near your target approach speed, which means you have to get below 150 earlier than you are doing. The trick is when ATC asks you to keep your speed up as long as possible, I can keep 140kts in the C414 until 1 mile final but the JS41 needs to 'level off' to bleed the speed. It's tricky.
Thanks. That's exactly the kind of issue I'm sort of working with here. Since the FS ATC doesn't give speed restrictions or instructions, I sort of operate that I'm on just such an instruction until about the FAF. Usually by then I'm centered on the needles on an approach, so leveling off seems counter-intuitive. I guess what through me was that usually in every plane I've ever flown, real and sim, when you drop the gear, your speed takes a decent hit. Not so much here. Interesting bird, this geared TP.

I am consistently way too fast on my approaches with the J41. I suspect it is a variant of the old chestnut that the bird can either "slow down or go down", but not both, at the same time. So, here's the typical scenario: I'm flying along at about 170 being vectored for the approach, I get it down to 150, as I'm vecored onto final, and then I bring it back to idle and drop the last bit of flaps and gear and head down the localizer. Even at landing configuration, I can't get it down below about 130 on a standard glide slope. Give that the VREF is usually in the 115-125 range, this is annoying me. So, any tips would be much appreciated. I suppose I could slow to VREF before intercepting the glide slope, but something tells me that a lengthy approach at 120ish would be highly irritating to controllers at a large, busy airport.
Something you could try is to plan you approach to be at 160 instead of 170 and delay Flaps 15 until after you are vectored to final. They should get you from 160 to 145 easily enough to intercept GS and you will still have Flaps 25 and gear to slow you down to VREF.