Sign in to follow this  
northridge

"Show you off course" - 20 minutes late

Because I messed up on takeoff I missed a waypoint in my Sid (a supertight turn) but RC didnt say anything and I was back on track in a minute.At FL300 and over twenty minutes later, RC tells me I am shown off course - when I am of course on course but with a missing waypoint a million miles back - and to fly "x" heading until receiving suitable for navigation.Why would this happen? If RC didnt tell me at the time it happened whats the point of waiting so much time to call me on it?Edit:I then asked for a direct to checkpoint (to avoid going back from where I had come) and was given it - the next checkpoint on my plan, which requires that I continue on my set course.Except that immediately afterwards RC REPEATS the "off course" message and tells me to turn back.I am currently in Pause mode, perplexed and frustrated - cos RC doesnt seem to be making any sense right now.Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,You have to fly within 2 miles of a departure waypoint or you don't receive credit for it nor will RC immediately warn you that you've missed it. However, you would have had the option of requesting Direct To quite a bit earlier than FL300 or 20 mins later.Once you are transferred from the local controller to an area one the Direct To option appears. If you're quick you can even request Direct To before RC spots you're off course.You have to be careful when you request a Direct To. If you do it just before passing a waypoint you won't receive credit for passing it which could have led to the situation you describe. Always make sure you make such a request no closer than 5 miles.Of course none of this would have happened had you flown close enough to that SID waypoint. It might be best to remove any you're not certain you can fly close enough to otherwise that licence is at risk! :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I see now that I was on top of the waypoint I requested.How do I get out of this crazy loop now? Rc wants me to go back even though it has allowed me to go forward. Do I have to assume the heading RC wants - just for a bit - before resuming my own navigattion?This "go back to where you came from" situation doesnt seem very "real world": what happens if a real pilot jumps a waypoint without asking? Does he have to go back and join up all the dots?Nicholas

I see now that I was on top of the waypoint I requested.How do I get out of this crazy loop now? Rc wants me to go back even though it has allowed me to go forward. Do I have to assume the heading RC wants - just for a bit - before resuming my own navigattion?
Request Direct To again but choose a waypoint further ahead. It's available until 40 miles out.
This "go back to where you came from" situation doesnt seem very "real world": what happens if a real pilot jumps a waypoint without asking? Does he have to go back and join up all the dots?
You're expected to "fly what you file". If you don't then there are repurcussions as you have seen. In the real world the waypoint wouldn't have been missed as the CDU / Autopilot would have ensured it was flown over. Nor would the real world controller admonish you for missing a SID waypoint unless you seriously messed up and caused a problem with other aircraft.With more experience / practice you won't include waypoints that may be difficult to fly over. That solves the problem of missing one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I generally leave a waypoint out on a plan that is very close to the runway departure point say within a mile. If that first waypoint was within 30 nm of your departure RC would give a clearance of "as filed" for your departure expecting you to navigate those without RC direction, just as in a SID as in the following paragraph, but you still must cross those waypoints. If you were in "SID" mode that could be why RC did not warn you about being off course until you were further out.If you know your SID preflight you can elect to fly it as filed without RC vectors within the first 30 nm of departure. In this case you can leave the waypoints inside of 30nm from the airport outside of the plan sent to RC. In your controller page choose Altitude. Restrictions, or No Altitude restrictions. You can then fly using navigation equipment waypoints up until 30 miles at which point RC will expect you to cross the next waypoint starting your LNAV and VNAV monitoring and heading monitoring outside of that 30 nm area centered on the airport.In regards to the delay in RC requesting you correct your navigation it might have been delayed also by an outstanding ack in communications. That can also prevent RC from crediting you a crossed waypoint. Always ack as soon as you can.I recommend leaving Prerecorded AI Chatter disabled and just use AI Chatter in your RC options. I also recommend leaving Display Chatter off as that also slows RC's responses.

Thank you, certainly clearer now.Nicholas
how far was the first checkpoint to the airport?