Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Active Sky update

I can not figgure this out from the info on the Active Sky site. Is this correct...... You can get a free "update" going from ASA to ASE but you can not get a free update going from AS6.5 to ASE? Is this right? jerrycwo4

I can not figgure this out from the info on the Active Sky site. Is this correct...... You can get a free "update" going from ASA to ASE but you can not get a free update going from AS6.5 to ASE? Is this right? jerrycwo4
Hello JerryThat is correct, AS6.5 is a different product to ASAJust as you got a free update from AS6 to 6.5, ASA users get a free update to ASE.My advice would be to stay with AS6.5 for now as it at least works reliably.As far as I can tell from running both ASA and ASE, the update consisted of a change to a red splash screen from the blue of ASA.Most other problems still remain unfixed as a quick read of the Hifi forum here at Avsim will confirm.

It's such a shame they've never managed to get on top of the problems they encountered after AS6.5 - a good development team seems to have been dragged down towards the drain.

I don't think anyone is being "dragged down the drain", least of all the Active Sky team. I think it's just that they're bumping up against the limits of the sim itself.

I don't think anyone is being "dragged down the drain", least of all the Active Sky team. I think it's just that they're bumping up against the limits of the sim itself.
I agree, I use ASEvo and had ASA prior to that. I also have AS 6.5 and in my opinion ASEvo is leaps and bounds ahead of 6.5. I think there's a lot of whining going on in the HiFi support forum and not nearly enough praise for a very good product that HiFi has put an enormous amount of effort into. If you think about the amount of programming effort that goes into something like ASE that sells for $50 bucks or so compared to some half-cocked texture add-on like Zinnertek's Ultimate water effects for around $25 (that I literally had installed for less than 5 minutes), I think you'd have a hard time convincing any reasonable person that HiFi doesn't give you your money's worth.Jim

I agree too. I ran a flight yesterday using the new patch and I thought it things went very well. No cloud popping and no high-altitude cumulus, although I need to run a lot more flights to be sure. Don't forget, AS 6.5 was the result of so many upgrades I can't remember them all. The point is, they tweaked and tweaked AS 6.5 until they got it right. Now they're doing the same with ASEvo.

Guest FredGherkin
I agree, I use ASEvo and had ASA prior to that. I also have AS 6.5 and in my opinion ASEvo is leaps and bounds ahead of 6.5. I think there's a lot of whining going on in the HiFi support forum and not nearly enough praise for a very good product that HiFi has put an enormous amount of effort into. If you think about the amount of programming effort that goes into something like ASE that sells for $50 bucks or so compared to some half-cocked texture add-on like Zinnertek's Ultimate water effects for around $25 (that I literally had installed for less than 5 minutes), I think you'd have a hard time convincing any reasonable person that HiFi doesn't give you your money's worth.Jim
To each his own. (Especially when it comes down to confirmation bias.)

I said toward, not down - I think they're putting in a huge amount of effort, but still FSX seems to have presented some problems that they just can't beat so far. They wouldn't be the only developers who seem to have found FSX a beast that's hard to tame.

Just a little "plug" for a product that I really like. After REX came out I could not get my WATERS just like I wanted and then I gave Zinnertek's Ultimate water effects a try. It was just what I was looking for. I also love their Airport Effects that places little oil stains all around on the payment. I love both of their programs. They work for me. I might add I have not tried REX's newest update for thier waters and since I have everything just like I like it, I'm not going to try the new update and take a chance to screw up my setup. jerrycwo4