Sign in to follow this  
spilok

FS Genesis....should I or shouldn't I?

Since I'll be doing a total re-install, I thought I'd ask a quick question. If I have (and love) REX, GEX, ASE, UT, and the Great Northwest from ORBX, should I or shouldn't I install FS Genesis? FS Genesis was one of the first Terrain Mesh programs I ever used. However, is it redundant to have that program on FSX with all the other goodies that have been released?Just curious.Stan

Orbx PNW comes with it's own mesh, so if that is where you are flying mostly, it would be redundant. Couldn't hurt though as I believe FSX displays the highest res mesh installed.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I live an fly in the mountain west area of the U.S. Therefor, I feel that FS Genesis is of the upmost importance! L.Adamson

Guest 413X3

I think the most important question is, why haven't you already? FSGenesis is one of the first things you must install after installing fs

I think the most important question is, why haven't you already? FSGenesis is one of the first things you must install after installing fs
I haven't because I haven't started my install. Been busy today and I plan to do the total install when I have some time this week. You're right. I always install FS Genesis 1st after SP1 and Acceleration.Stan

i say yes get it. even if you install Orbx PNW, FSGenesis still covers the rest of the world. and it is a very fair price for the bundle, which includes landclass as well.

Do it!FS Genesis mesh is easily among the best environmental addons. I don't know what I'd do without USA mesh. :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest MarkP3637
Hello,I was going to install FSGenesis Mesh into my FSX. However, I do have PNW, various Megascenery titles, and many other payware and aircraft scenery add-ons. Will it hurt anything if I install FS Genesis Mesh now even after having installed and used all of my other add-ons? I didn't know mesh needed to be added before anything else.Thanks,Mark

Mark, the best resolution mesh will always be the one that you see. so if for example you have FSgenesis mesh which is 10M in the USA but you also use Orbx PNW which uses 5M mesh, you will see the 5 M mesh in PNW and 10M everywhere else. now that doesnt mean that the world is perfect. there are some issues where an airport may look wrong because the 3rd party scenery may make an airport or scenery look wrong but i have a lot of scenery add ons and with FSGenesis, i do not have too many issues at all.

Hello,I was going to install FSGenesis Mesh into my FSX. However, I do have PNW, various Megascenery titles, and many other payware and aircraft scenery add-ons. Will it hurt anything if I install FS Genesis Mesh now even after having installed and used all of my other add-ons? I didn't know mesh needed to be added before anything else.Thanks,Mark
It makes no difference - it's the order set in the Scenery Manager that makes the difference. So get and install FSG and adjust according to PNW, etc.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I personally would not use a stand alone mesh product like FSGenesis. Increasing the resolution of the mesh without adjusting airport locations and elevations as well as reconfiguring coastlines just makes everything look worse in my opinion. Many airports will wind up on plateaus or in deep pits. Coastlines become dominated by cliffs as coastlines were originally placed to work with the low-res default mesh and therefore not very accurate.

I wouldn't fly without FSGenesis. About 6 months ago I updated to the latest version and found that it removed the plateaus from almost all of the airports. There may still be some that have the problem, but I have not seen it on any paved strips. The price is well worth it, considering the coverage and the support is great.I use it with photo real scenery and PNW and have no issues at all.

I personally would not use a stand alone mesh product like FSGenesis. Increasing the resolution of the mesh without adjusting airport locations and elevations as well as reconfiguring coastlines just makes everything look worse in my opinion. Many airports will wind up on plateaus or in deep pits. Coastlines become dominated by cliffs as coastlines were originally placed to work with the low-res default mesh and therefore not very accurate.
Yes, a few airports do get "screwed" up. But I'm much too use to what thousands of square miles of mountains should look like, and am willing to put up with a few airport problems. I've been a user of FS Genesis since the beginning, and have never regretted it. L.Adamson