Sign in to follow this  

Possible workaround for CTD's?

Lately I frequently have CTD's: without any warning I am thrown back to the desktop. (I'm not talking about BSOD here!) Very annoying, obviously. This usually (but not always) happens after flying for 20 minutes or so. Sometimes it took a lot longer, but it never was immediately after starting a flight.After getting tired of having to start flights all over again (or not being able to finish flights at all because I didn't want to start all over again), I looked for a utility that would autosave my flight every now and then. After some time I found FSX/SP2 FSXSave Autosave 1.05. I set it up to save the flight every 6 minutes, so whenever I would get a CTD I would lose no more than 6 minutes of flying. Great.Now the very funny thing is... that after installing this autosaver, I haven't had a CTD at all anymore...!It's my guess (and I would like others to test it) that I got CTD's because somehow during a flight something got build up in my system in such a way that it would create a CTD. Something to do with RAM getting filled up or the GPU, I don't know. But maybe, just maybe, saving a flight sort of removes things that are kept in memory (somehow: I clearly know nothing about it :( ) and creates a new, fresh start somehow. If you know what I mean. As if the system is reset to where it was at the beginning of the flight.It would be nice if some of you who also have CTD's every now and then (I had them almost daily lately) would install this autosaver too. First of all you won't lose too much time anymore when you have a CTD (which obviously is worth the trouble of installing it alone) but I am mostly interested if on your computer the amount of CTD's is reduced too: maybe even reduced to zero! It would be a nice workaround or even some sort of 'solution' for CTD's! :( Mind you, I only 'tested' this (without knowing it myself) for a dew days, so don't expect too much. Maybe I just had luck during the last days... :(

I can remember sometimes having CTD to find it was caused when the Real Time weather updated. But yeah, nice if at least you can save your flight. Have you checked in Event Viewer at what is causing you to CTD?

I think that with HIGHMEMFIX=1 got rid of all CTD's or maybe it was the last nVidia driver. We will see when the weather gets warmer. May have to crank the GPU fan.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I have to say that since I installed this utility I haven't had any CTD or freeze.I can also go in and out of the sim without any problems.Not sure why,but it seems to work for me.