Sign in to follow this  
houndog528

Out of Memory Problem...

Okay,I have now just tried the 4GB patch from NTCore, with really high hopes after reading what it is supposed to do. Still OOM. I just don't understand this. Any more ideas? Anyone?Adam

Okay,So, I have now visited the Microsoft website in the hopes that they might have their own remedies to the OOM error message. Low and behold, they do! Step 1 says to make sure that there is enough memory in the computer. I have 40.1GB of memory available for use, so I know that can't be the problem. Step 2 is the rebuild the windows paging file. I followed the steps, but still OOM. The following steps contain things like change your game settings (but you need to be in the game to do this), update your video card (mine is updated to the fullest), run the game in windowed mode (but, again, you need to be in the game before you can do this), and a few other things that I tried but didn't work. This leads me to belive that there is something else going on behind the OOM error message that won't let me into the game. But, what? Anyone?Thanks,Adam

Taking what Bob has posted a step further; Did FS9 build a new FS9.cfg file or did you still get a 'blank'? Another question; do you have the FS9.1 patch installed?My suggestion would be to get out your FS9 CDs. Find and copy the FS9.exe to a temp folder on your desktop. Go into your FS9 set up, make a backup copy of the scenery.cfg file then open the original and manually delete all non stock entries and run your SCM2004 or try: rsc_v1.1.5.zip available here at AVSIM, (I use FlightSimManaager to do this) to renumber the senery.cfg. Next, delete you FS9.cfg and rename the FS9.exe to Fs9_backup.exe, if you have the Fs9.1 patch installed send a copy the Fs9.1.exe into ***\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 or copy the 'new' Fs9.exe from the temp folder into ***\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9. Try to start the sim directly from there (the Fs9.exe) If it boots and loads you of course need to tidy up a bit. If you don't have the Fs9.1 patch installed I would would suggest installing it as soon as you can get FS9 to boot up to the GUI. Then you can start installing your scenery one item at a time to make sure you have no issues etc.If however Fs9 still fails to load properly after this partial rebuild, I would suspect a corrupted or incompatibly modified ***.dll in the module folder or elsewhere in the Sim.Let us know how it goes and we'll continue from there if necessary.Regards to all,Mel

Taking what Bob has posted a step further; Did FS9 build a new FS9.cfg file or did you still get a 'blank'? Another question; do you have the FS9.1 patch installed?My suggestion would be to get out your FS9 CDs. Find and copy the FS9.exe to a temp folder on your desktop. Go into your FS9 set up, make a backup copy of the scenery.cfg file then open the original and manually delete all non stock entries and run your SCM2004 or try: rsc_v1.1.5.zip available here at AVSIM, (I use FlightSimManaager to do this) to renumber the senery.cfg. Next, delete you FS9.cfg and rename the FS9.exe to Fs9_backup.exe, if you have the Fs9.1 patch installed send a copy the Fs9.1.exe into ***\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 or copy the 'new' Fs9.exe from the temp folder into ***\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9. Try to start the sim directly from there (the Fs9.exe) If it boots and loads you of course need to tidy up a bit. If you don't have the Fs9.1 patch installed I would would suggest installing it as soon as you can get FS9 to boot up to the GUI. Then you can start installing your scenery one item at a time to make sure you have no issues etc.If however Fs9 still fails to load properly after this partial rebuild, I would suspect a corrupted or incompatibly modified ***.dll in the module folder or elsewhere in the Sim.Let us know how it goes and we'll continue from there if necessary.Regards to all,Mel
Mel,FS9 did create a new FS9.cfg file, but it was blank. It doesn't get far enough in the start-up process to build a new one. Yes, I have the FS9.1 Patch installed.When I ran your Renumbering program, I found that my scenery.cfg file was not in great shape number wise. Some numbers were missing, some were out of order. This program fixed all that, but FS9 still won't load. OOM as usual.I don't see what good deleting everything in the scenery.cfg will do. It is the three sceneries that I attempted to install on Monday that are the root cause of all this. I already know that. It hasn't even gotten to the point where it made entries for those new sceneries in the scenery.cfg file. Before I tried to install them, the game was working fine.Any other ideas?Thanks,Adam

Hi Adam. I would think that would leave only a corrupt FS9.exe or ***.Dll as the remaining possibilities, with the exception of hardware related issues such as faulty RAM or HD. My reasoning for removing your add on scenery was simply to remove as many possible causes at one time. Please note that does not mean deleting them only to remove them from the scenery.cfg text since you did say,"This is where I am now. FS9 is "Building database for new scenery files". It gets to 100%, and FS9 is Out Of Memory pops up."Just for the sake of thoroughness, if you have not already, check to see if amount of Random Access memory available actually coincides with what is supposed to be installed and the actual amount of Hard Drive free space is sufficient to run Fs9. Fs9 is a very heavy load on memory and HD, when loading especially.As a very distasteful last resort since you are unable to run Fs9 anyway you may need to uninstall Fs9 and every file everywhere on your pc related to it and attempt to do a fresh install, (I understand that you really do not want to do that, . . . but. (most of us have been there / done that.)) In the long run either Fs9 installs properly and runs or it fails to install in which case you will know the problem lies outside of Fs9 and needs to be fixed before the Sim will run anyway. BTW more info about what kind of computer, hardware and OS, etc would also be useful in finding your trouble. And finally, are you sure that all of your other installed applications are running properly, anything new but not related to Fs9 installed around the time your OOMs started? Any of the suggestions after your initial post, individually or in combination can lead to a OOM. If you have not already, you might do a search here in the forum for, "Out of Memory", and "Fails to load", . . . might find something there in the way of a solution.Regards,Mel

Hi Adam. I would think that would leave only a corrupt FS9.exe or ***.Dll as the remaining possibilities, with the exception of hardware related issues such as faulty RAM or HD. My reasoning for removing your add on scenery was simply to remove as many possible causes at one time. Please note that does not mean deleting them only to remove them from the scenery.cfg text since you did say,"This is where I am now. FS9 is "Building database for new scenery files". It gets to 100%, and FS9 is Out Of Memory pops up."Just for the sake of thoroughness, if you have not already, check to see if amount of Random Access memory available actually coincides with what is supposed to be installed and the actual amount of Hard Drive free space is sufficient to run Fs9. Fs9 is a very heavy load on memory and HD, when loading especially.As a very distasteful last resort since you are unable to run Fs9 anyway you may need to uninstall Fs9 and every file everywhere on your pc related to it and attempt to do a fresh install, (I understand that you really do not want to do that, . . . but. (most of us have been there / done that.)) In the long run either Fs9 installs properly and runs or it fails to install in which case you will know the problem lies outside of Fs9 and needs to be fixed before the Sim will run anyway. BTW more info about what kind of computer, hardware and OS, etc would also be useful in finding your trouble. And finally, are you sure that all of your other installed applications are running properly, anything new but not related to Fs9 installed around the time your OOMs started? Any of the suggestions after your initial post, individually or in combination can lead to a OOM. If you have not already, you might do a search here in the forum for, "Out of Memory", and "Fails to load", . . . might find something there in the way of a solution.Regards,Mel
Thanks Mel, I did try deleting all the entries in the scenery.cfg file, and all that are left are the scenery areas that came with FS9. I attempted to load FS9, but still "Building Scenery Database" and OOM again.I really don't think I am low on memory. I have 40.1 GBs of free space on my hard drive, and have run FS9 with no problems with a lot less than this. I have Windows XP, with all the latest updates and patches, with 40.1 GBs of available space remaining, and 1 GB of RAM available for use. At least, that's what I think I have. I am not really sure how to tell what I have in terms of my system.I did a search of the forums (by the way, the search feature in this forum is not too good. You can't search for "Out Of Memory" because the word "of" is only two characters long and is not an acceptable search criteria.) the old fashioned way, and found some posts on the OOM problem. I tried everything there, except the 3GB program. This makes me nervous, as I really don't want to screw up my whole system. That, and it's way over my head. I read and re-read the instructions posted, and I really don't understand them.Yes, everything else on my computer is running perfectly. FS9 is the only game I play on my PC. I always run the GameBooster program before loading FS9, as this closes a whole bunch of stuff I don't need for FS9 that is running in the background. Never had any problems with this, either.I just can't understand how my computer could be out of memory, virtual or otherwise. I have flushed registries, cleaned out empty folders, deleted all my flight plans (and there were a lot of them), cleaned out my aircraft folder (I am always cleaning it out, and keeping it neat and tidy), run all the programs everybody has suggested (scenery editor, afcad editor, etc.), and organized and optimized everything until I turned blue! I just don't know what else to do to rectify this problem, short of deleting FS9 and starting over. What to do, what to do...You mentioned a corrupt .dll file. I do have a sound.dll file error that pops up every time I start FS9. Could that be the problem? I always select No so it doesn't load, and it's never given me any problems before.Thanks,Adam

You can also try this. Make a backup of your registry, and than delete any entries for Flight Simulator. Than leave your old installation, on it's place, and install FS again, but somewhere else. In another folder for example, or another partition if you have one. Than start FS, and see if it's work.Also you can try to delete default save situation from FS9.cfg, before try above. Maybe you deleted some plane that is saved like "default save".

If the sound .dll problem relates to FSSound.dll you need to add:-[old modules]FSSound.dll to your FS9 config. then the warning should disappear.

Hi Adam. The FSSound.dll notification or the FSSound.dll being present in the Sim would not be the cause of your OOMs and when you can get FS9 to build a new FS9.cfg and adding the entry as Stan57 has said will allow FSSound.dll to be used always, without displaying the warning.You said,"I just can't understand how my computer could be out of memory, virtual or otherwise. I have flushed registries, cleaned out empty folders, deleted all my flight plans (and there were a lot of them), cleaned out my aircraft folder (I am always cleaning it out, and keeping it neat and tidy), run all the programs everybody has suggested (scenery editor, afcad editor, etc.), and organized and optimized everything until I turned blue! I just don't know what else to do to rectify this problem, short of deleting FS9 and starting over. What to do, what to do..."That will add to your hard drives free space, but the 40gb +- a bit is good enough and would not create a OOM, FS9 loads from, not to the hard drive. So to keep it simple, except for page file usage your hard drive only supplies the needed files as FS9 calls for them. Not the problem.The most significant thing you mentioned was that you think you have 1gb of Random Access Memory. To check to verify; click "Start", right click on "My Computer" and select "properties" at the bottom of the drop down menu, on the General tab which should show automatically you will see your computer specs, at the bottom section under 'Computer' you will see the amount of RAM you computer is currently using. Also if you can, either visually check the motherboard for what RAM is installed (IMPORTANT; always unplug the PC before you open the case and keep one hand on a metal part of the framework to discharge static while inspecting.) Or preferably find the computer specs that came with your purchase. (You might have a faulty stick of RAM.)The amount of RAM you have available and how much FS9 uses is very connected to OOM issues. It may very well be that with your current FS9 state (aircraft, scenery, AI aircraft if any and traffic if any and also any other enhancements you have added.) FS9 may simply running out of RAM before it can get started. Keep in mind that your OS reserves a portion of the RAM for itself which also narrows the margin within which FS9 can operated. If you actually have 1gb of RAM I don't think the 3gb switch would work for you so I would not worry about that yet. When the time is right however, don't be afraid to make the needed modifications for the 3gb switch. First things first. Verify how much RAM you have. I personally don't feel that 1gb is enough to do the job for you and may be your problem. Check your RAM and let us know and we will go from there. Best regards,Mel

Thanks Mel,I do, indeed, have 1.00 GB of RAM. What I don't understand is this: If 1GB of RAM is not enough to run the game now, why would it have been enough to run the game 6-7 years ago when I got this computer? This just makes no sense to me. If I do have faulty RAM, wouldn't that mean that anything that uses it would not run? I have tried a few other games, just to see if they would work or not, and they do work just fine. Do you think that if I remove some of the other scenery I have, it would be less taxing on the RAM, and FS9 might work? I have quite a few sceneries, and I am willing to part with some that I don't use that often. Just a thought. I am going to open up my computer later on today, and I will let you know what the RAM says.Thanks again,Adam

If you actually have 1gb of RAM I don't think the 3gb switch would work for you so I would not worry about that yet.
Mel, since the /3GB "switch" has absolutely no connection to the amount of physical ram one has, this is simply incorrect.The /3GB "switch" has everything to do with "virtual address space" which is "simply" a table of addresses. Anytime FS cannot access a 1MB contiguous block of "virtual address space" it will throw a "OOM Error" and shut the sim down.There are of course other reasons why an "OOM Error" could be thrown, but the above is the most common reason, moreso if one has already "fixed" the other reasons... :)As for the question of "why now when it ran before?" that could simply be a case of finally throwing too much information at FS via new addon scenery, aircraft, et cetera. The only solution to that event would be to increase the amount of physical RAM for the computer to use.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You could try editing the FS9. CFG by changing this section just to see if it will load.[TrafficManager]TrafficDensity=0IFROnly=0EnableAirline=0EnableGeneralAviation=0I have just been having the same sort of problem but i have managed to get flying again but only without all my addon traffic files and i have 2GB of RAM.I have though altered the AIRCRAFT in the default traffic file to mostly BAW/KLM machines and i can now fly with 100% traffic,albeit with just the altered default traffic.

Mel, since the /3GB "switch" has absolutely no connection to the amount of physical ram one has, this is simply incorrect.The /3GB "switch" has everything to do with "virtual address space" which is "simply" a table of addresses. Anytime FS cannot access a 1MB contiguous block of "virtual address space" it will throw a "OOM Error" and shut the sim down.There are of course other reasons why an "OOM Error" could be thrown, but the above is the most common reason, moreso if one has already "fixed" the other reasons... :)As for the question of "why now when it ran before?" that could simply be a case of finally throwing too much information at FS via new addon scenery, aircraft, et cetera. The only solution to that event would be to increase the amount of physical RAM for the computer to use.
Bill,You say the only solution to throwing too much at FS9 is to increase the RAM. Why couldn't I just get FS9 down to a level where it can handle what I have? In other words, why couldn't I just get rid of aircraft, scenery, etc., until I get to a level that FS9 can handle? Doesn't this make more sense? I mean, for six years 1GB has been enough to make FS9 happy. Why couldn't I find that happy zone, and go back to it? Your solution just doesn't make sense. If I ran out of hard-drive space, I wouldn't go out and buy a new hard-drive. I would clean it out, get rid of programs I don't use, get rid of files I don't use or need, defrag it, and get back to an acceptable level. Why can't I do that here? Something doesn't make sense to me in this situation.I don't think I threw too much at FS9. I deleted 4 sceneries, and added 3 new sceneries. This upset FS9. Why? No idea. If it could handle, for example, 10 sceneries, why can't it handle 9 sceneries? Doesn't make sense. I had an OOM one time before, when I tried to add an aircraft to my collection. This would be a case of throwing too much at FS9. So, how did I remedy the situation? I deleted that aircraft that I installed. And, voila!! FS9 is happy once again. Why can't I do that now? Why can't I get FS9 down to a level where it will be happy? I do everything to make FS9 happy. I use Gamebooster to shut down stuff running in the background that I don't need to play the game. That should make the RAM usage less. No? I continually clean out my aircraft and scenery folder, and keep everything to a minimum. I don't employ high game settings, because I know my computer can't handle it. Maybe deleting 4 sceneries and adding 3 new sceneries at the same time was too much for FS9 all at once. So, why can't I go back to where I was before I started changing my scenery?I think everybody here is getting caught up on the OOM, instead of what's causing it. I think there is something else going on here besides the OOM. How do I get FS9 to quit "Building new scenery database" on start-up? That is the question. I am convinced that if I can get past that, FS9 will be happy again. I don't think buying new things right away is the solution. To me, bigger (or more) is not always better. It's how you use what you've got that makes it good. FS9 was happy using what I have for the past 6 years, which means that it can be happy once again using what I have. Question is, how do I get it there?Thanks,Adam

You could try editing the FS9. CFG by changing this section just to see if it will load.[TrafficManager]TrafficDensity=0IFROnly=0EnableAirline=0EnableGeneralAviation=0I have just been having the same sort of problem but i have managed to get flying again but only without all my addon traffic files and i have 2GB of RAM.I have though altered the AIRCRAFT in the default traffic file to mostly BAW/KLM machines and i can now fly with 100% traffic,albeit with just the altered default traffic.
Thanks Stan,I just tried this and it didn't work. I don't think FS9 is getting to the point where it is reading the FS9.cfg file. It gets hung-up on "Building New Scenery Database".Thanks again,Adam

Have you tried doing a similar thing with the scenery cfg.What i mean is, because you cant get into MSFS to delete things the normal way edit the scenery cfg by removing all entries above say level 40.Then try and load msfs.I keep reading this thread because soon after installing EPWA 2010 i started having the same problems you are getting.I have looked at that scenery and one of the bgl. files is called traffic,although it is not an Aircraft traffic bgl. i am wondering if MSFS is trying to load it as if it were,then on finding out it cant it throws out the OOM,or ntdll,etc etc.I know it is not an aircraft traffic file because i tried to break it down with T/TOOLS and it couldn,t do it.