Sign in to follow this  
MrSkyGuy

Implemented TMI Sperry 177 Modification

Turns out there's a user on YouTube who has posted a number of videos of a Boeing 737-200, which appears to be a modification of the Tinmouse II including a functional Sperry 177 FCU, a forced-perspective overhead, a T2CAS-style terrain/WX display, a VSI/TCAS, a "landing view" panel addition and a number of other smaller modifications. His YouTube name is "edetroit" and he is apparently unwilling to share his modifications with the virtual flying public.Here's a sample of one of his videos.. does anyone recognize the guages used for the Sperry 177? Perhaps someone here has a connection with edetroit? One thing is for certain.. his modifications are superb, and his videos are euqally pleasurable to watch. Only one thing is missing.. he's the only one having all the fun! :( :(

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />With the right gauge files, I could probbaly do a hack-job of this sort of panel, but it's clear that I wouldn't be anywhere close to the total-package quality of edetroit's modified aircraft. Any ideas, TMII pilots?

Yes, his videos are great, his custom work is excellent. However, I hardly watch them anymore as he is NOT willing to share his panel work. I really don't care for show offs.

As is typical (for me, at least), this post was motivation enough to seek out a suitable modification and implement it. So yesterday I spent some time identifying gauges for a modification of the TMII to the Sperry 177 autopilot FCU. Turns out after much tweaking, I was able to make it work. It's not 100% to my liking, but my standards are pretty high.I first located a few gauges, ranked them in quality, found one that was easily modifiable and brought it in to the panel. After some resizing, I was able to get it to work it in to the panel but two issues cropped up. The first was the night lighting.. while the FCU looked decent in the daytime, the night lighting was simply awful. I had to edit the gauge file, recut the night image with a better coloring and re-load it. Lastly, using the left, right, forward-right, etc. views were causing the A/P to disconnect. After some trial and error, I was able to locate the offender in the file and turn it off as well. Mod complete, I cut the gauge package down to size, took some screenshots and wrote a README file. The package was uploaded to AVSIM last night, and is already available for download as file tmii_sperry177_mod.zip.I flew this aircraft modification last night from KBUR to KICT, and the panel operated flawlessly. I may be looking to improve the gauge's XML file, but it's functional now and any improvements will be released as an update to the AVSIM file above.Today I spent some time identifying gauges for a modification of the TMII to the Sperry 177 autopilot FCU.

As is typical (for me, at least), this post was motivation enough to seek out a suitable modification and implement it. So yesterday I spent some time identifying gauges for a modification of the TMII to the Sperry 177 autopilot FCU. Turns out after much tweaking, I was able to make it work. It's not 100% to my liking, but my standards are pretty high.I first located a few gauges, ranked them in quality, found one that was easily modifiable and brought it in to the panel. After some resizing, I was able to get it to work it in to the panel but two issues cropped up. The first was the night lighting.. while the FCU looked decent in the daytime, the night lighting was simply awful. I had to edit the gauge file, recut the night image with a better coloring and re-load it. Lastly, using the left, right, forward-right, etc. views were causing the A/P to disconnect. After some trial and error, I was able to locate the offender in the file and turn it off as well. Mod complete, I cut the gauge package down to size, took some screenshots and wrote a README file. The package was uploaded to AVSIM last night, and is already available for download as file tmii_sperry177_mod.zip.I flew this aircraft modification last night from KBUR to KICT, and the panel operated flawlessly. I may be looking to improve the gauge's XML file, but it's functional now and any improvements will be released as an update to the AVSIM file above.Today I spent some time identifying gauges for a modification of the TMII to the Sperry 177 autopilot FCU.

MrSkyGuy,Nice work! By sheer coincidence, I did much the same thing for my own amusement some months ago with exactly the same gauge! Slightly different configuration but same effect. Is the gauge slow-reacting on your system? If you add this to the XML gauge:<Update Frequency="6"/>the gauge will update much more frequently and act more smoothly.;)

MrSkyGuy,Nice work! By sheer coincidence, I did much the same thing for my own amusement some months ago with exactly the same gauge! Slightly different configuration but same effect. Is the gauge slow-reacting on your system? If you add this to the XML gauge:<Update Frequency="6"/>the gauge will update much more frequently and act more smoothly.;)
Excellent tip! I will look to incorporate that in my next release (if I stick with this gauge). I've been modifying panels for years now, but only recently began looking in to gauge modification. Thanks Micro. :(

Pleasure.Something else you might want to look at: altering the course indicator on the MCP doesn't seem to alter the course indicator on the MFD.;)

Pleasure.Something else you might want to look at: altering the course indicator on the MCP doesn't seem to alter the course indicator on the MFD.;)
Yes, that's covered in the instructions of the README of the download.

Hi, folks thanks for your effort to give as a sperry177 but this sperry it is far away of reality you cant use auto a/t with epr for example.And for the fantastic panel can see in you post. The father i thick is Eduard Cox, is necessary to ask him why not share your panel with the tm2 fans.the best :( Capitan.

Hi, folks thanks for your effort to give as a sperry177 but this sperry it is far away of reality you cant use auto a/t with epr for example.And for the fantastic panel can see in you post. The father i thick is Eduard Cox, is necessary to ask him why not share your panel with the tm2 fans.the best :( Capitan.
I think I was pretty clear that this gauge is not specifically a Sperry 177, but maintains the basic elements of one. The autothrottle is functional, and the PDCS gauge is still functional.. this drives the EPR gauges and is no different than the panel in the Sperry 77 mode. The only time the A/T would make sense in a "follow the EPR" mode is during climb, as the EPR gauges can drive the aircraft to an overspeed condition in cruise. The more sensible manner is a manually controlled throttle through the climb phase, and an engagement of the Sperry 177 "follow-the-LCD-number" for cruise and descent. Again, it's not a "pure" Sperry 177, but it carries many of the Sperry 177's elements. Improvements to this will come in later releases as time allows. I hope you enjoy the mod.As for the author of the panel in the YouTube video in the first post, I'm reached out to him and received a cryptic "panel is not available" reply. Upon further attempts to engage with him in a friendly manner, I was left with no replies and took that as a sign to move on. ;)

I think I was pretty clear that this gauge is not specifically a Sperry 177, but maintains the basic elements of one. The autothrottle is functional, and the PDCS gauge is still functional.. this drives the EPR gauges and is no different than the panel in the Sperry 77 mode. The only time the A/T would make sense in a "follow the EPR" mode is during climb, as the EPR gauges can drive the aircraft to an overspeed condition in cruise. The more sensible manner is a manually controlled throttle through the climb phase, and an engagement of the Sperry 177 "follow-the-LCD-number" for cruise and descent. Again, it's not a "pure" Sperry 177, but it carries many of the Sperry 177's elements. Improvements to this will come in later releases as time allows. I hope you enjoy the mod.As for the author of the panel in the YouTube video in the first post, I'm reached out to him and received a cryptic "panel is not available" reply. Upon further attempts to engage with him in a friendly manner, I was left with no replies and took that as a sign to move on. ;)
Yes , but will be wonderful if you can give as automatic epr climb mode like sperry 177.Thanks again.Capitan_cg

Yes , but will be wonderful if you can give as automatic epr climb mode like sperry 177.Thanks again.Capitan_cg
Perhaps something got lost in translation.. Im not responsible for updates the panel and am doing these extra modifications in my own free time. What you are suggesting is one of many items that are on my "to do" list if I can make them work.Thanks for your suggestion.

Oops, must have missed the point about the course knob!More info - please see your messages.;)

I just noticed the duplicity in my second post to this thread. Oops! Not sure how I managed to let that slip by.

Hı guys, new sperry 177 in test progress on my compt :) Martyn, how can we add that line ( <update frequency="6"/>) on XML file? It looks like html codes but I couldn't find correct line group.You are right if we can make smooth adjust would be much better.thanks