Sign in to follow this  
Guest lowandslowjunkie

Sound Cards and ATC Sound

Guest lowandslowjunkie

I am having a real problem with the sound in FS9. I cannot hear the ATC when they speak and sometimes cannot hear other planes as they speak. I have put in a new sound card, it works with FSX and other programs that require sound and I am stumped as to why the ATC will not work in FS9, are any of us out there familiar with this problem and how can I fix it? Any suggestions please post soon as I live to fly both FS9 and FSX. Please give me some feedback as it is driving me nuts not being able to use, correctly my FS9 Sim. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help, ahead of time. :(

There's a good chance that your problem is caused by corrupted audio CODECs. Try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) for "KB177252". The last time I looked at that item, it was for older versions of Windows, but the general info in it may still be useful to you.As I recall, the solution is to uninstall and reinstall the audio CODECs from your Windows CD. These files are not a part of FS.Good luck. Let us know if you get your sound fixed.Regards,JerryH

Guest lowandslowjunkie

I have tried the suggestion and it did not work, this is a stand alone sound card and I am sure it does not have corrupted codecs, unless the codecs on the installation disc were corrupted when I received them. I have some idea now of what the problem is and I am going to have to do a fresh install of Windows to get rid of the problem. There might be a corrupted file somewhere on my hard drive and to find it though would take more time than it is worth. I anyone else has any other ideas, other than a fresh installation of Windows I would be glad to entertain the notion. Since ACES no longer exists and MS charges an arm and a leg for 'support' and I don't have the limbs to spare I must go it alone, or with help form the community to figure out the problem. Thank you so much for any help already given and any answers that may come in the future.

There's a good chance that your problem is caused by corrupted audio CODECs. Try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) for "KB177252". The last time I looked at that item, it was for older versions of Windows, but the general info in it may still be useful to you.As I recall, the solution is to uninstall and reinstall the audio CODECs from your Windows CD. These files are not a part of FS.Good luck. Let us know if you get your sound fixed.Regards,JerryH

I am having a real problem with the sound in FS9. I cannot hear the ATC when they speak and sometimes cannot hear other planes as they speak.
Could you be more specific about what you can and can't hear? I'm thinking that when you say you "sometimes cannot hear other planes as they speak" you wouldn't know if you can't hear ATC's own voice.In my experience there are occasions when AI aircraft voices aren't heard, you just hear ATC reply or instruct them. It is only occasional and I'm not sure why. However, more critical to you is the ability for you to be able to exchange conversations with ATC.The KB article referred to be JerryH does cover FS2004, by the way.Also, if you use EditVoicePack this may be useful:http://www.editvoicepack.com/readme.html#ToC37John

I am having a real problem with the sound in FS9. I cannot hear the ATC when they speak and sometimes cannot hear other planes as they speak. I have put in a new sound card, it works with FSX and other programs that require sound and I am stumped as to why the ATC will not work in FS9, are any of us out there familiar with this problem and how can I fix it? Any suggestions please post soon as I live to fly both FS9 and FSX. Please give me some feedback as it is driving me nuts not being able to use, correctly my FS9 Sim. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help, ahead of time. :(

Have you selected a pilot voice from the fs9 ATC settings.What are your settings for FS9 ATC.?Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest lowandslowjunkie

Now the problem is not only limited to ATC but is wholly prevalent throughout the program. I do not get any sound at all, no plane sound, no ATC, no pilot sound. This is a puzzling thing to me because any other program I use that has sound as a component is working fine but FS9 will not produce any sound at all. I tried loading in the codecs for the audio and nothing changed, I tried loading in Edit Voice Pack FS9 and that did not work, yet for other programs the new sound card works fine. If anybody has any ideas about what to do, please do not hesitate to contact me via posting, pm or email. I would gladly take suggestions from anyone to fix this problem.Also, this problem is not affecting the FSX program.

Verify FS9's sound settings. And try the Q key on your keyboard to mute/unmute sound (you wouldn't be the first... ;D).

Mike...

Guest lowandslowjunkie

Did everything I know to do, went back and checked all settings, ATC, Weather, Plane settings everything and could not see any problem, also checked the Q and it was on, keyboard settings for sound were spot on, no miscalculations on any part of the setup but still cannot here ATC when flying. I can hear other AI traffic, can also hear myself when the computer prompts for responses but cannot hear ATC callsign of my plane and cannot hear any response of ATC. Please make other suggestions, I have tried Edit Voice Pack, but no difference in how FS9 operates in flight. I am at my wit's end and am going through withdrawls since I also am having problems with FSX and cannot fly at all.

Verify FS9's sound settings. And try the Q key on your keyboard to mute/unmute sound (you wouldn't be the first... ;D).

Did everything I know to do, went back and checked all settings, ATC, Weather, Plane settings everything and could not see any problem, also checked the Q and it was on, keyboard settings for sound were spot on, no miscalculations on any part of the setup but still cannot here ATC when flying. I can hear other AI traffic, can also hear myself when the computer prompts for responses but cannot hear ATC callsign of my plane and cannot hear any response of ATC. Please make other suggestions, I have tried Edit Voice Pack, but no difference in how FS9 operates in flight. I am at my wit's end and am going through withdrawls since I also am having problems with FSX and cannot fly at all.
I'm not following you, in a previous post you said: "Now the problem is not only limited to ATC but is wholly prevalent throughout the program. I do not get any sound at all, no plane sound, no ATC, no pilot sound.". So, no sound.Now you've got most of of it back or? How? When you talk about the callsign, what callsign is it? Don't you hear it or isn't it recognized?By the way, after you first use the "Accelerate voicepack" option in EditVoicepack when you choose to update it and you must for any changes to appear in FS9, you have to re-select a pilot voice in FS9. If you don't, you will not hear certain voices.
I tried loading in the codecs for the audio and nothing changed
Have you tried installing a K-Lite pack? In addition to installing codecs, it also checks for broken codecs and fixes them.You could also try deleting the FS9.cfg file. That will allow FS9 to rebuild it and possibly fix some issues.Finally, I tracked down your FSX thread. You say you are fairly computer literate, but what you describe there is not a CTD, since FSX still runs, at least, parts of it. You say there that after installing another stick of memory, problems started. Well, then the stick is faulty or is not installed or matched up (to the other sticks) properly.Could you describe the rest of your hardware? OS, that sort of thing.

Mike...