Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

Aerobatic Training

Ever since I started flying I have wanted to try aerobatics and fly the superdecathlon, so after getting my ppl, a taildragger endorsement, and a complex engine endorsement, I finally had the qualifications to start my lessons.I found ONE guy in all of Miami who teaches aerobatics so I gave him a call and set up my first lesson, I love going to a new FBO and seeing all the exotic planes, here are some pics:One of my favorite planes, the maule, M5 I think, I have never actually seen one in personIs this supposed to be like this?, I googled the plane and it turns out it is...Vanns RV, not going anywhere without a propI have no idea what plane this is, anyone?My beloved SuperDecathlon, ever since I got the real-air version I have been wanting to fly this thing.Here are some panel shots, notice anything missing?Thanks for looking.

I have no idea what plane this is, anyone?
That appears to me to be the indomitable ("spin-proof") Ercoupe. :(
Here are some panel shots, notice anything missing?
We'll start with the obvious... the Front Cabin Heat Control Cable.It appears that the "hole" is for the missing Cigar Lighter.*Placards for the above two items: "INOP"Compass Correction Card also missing. :( As a Maintenance Student at Purdue University (eons ago) we were taught if the Cigar Lighter was part of the equipment certified with the Aircraft... it better be there (and working) every time you went flying. No Joke... not with the FAA at least. I think I'd be asking (in a discreet sort of way) of when the last 100 hr. / Annual Inspection was done. :(

Ercoupe, thanks, I didn't know that.As for question number two, your answers are almost too knowledgeable(and correct btw), but there's something a little more fundamental missing.

I'm guessing you are probably referring to the fact that there is no artificial horizon in the instrument group, which is quite common on aerobatic aircraft, since they are invariably flown in good weather and an AH is no use for aerobatics. You need one for an aerobatic aircraft if you fly it to an event, but you'd cage it for the actual aerobatics.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm guessing you are probably referring to the fact that there is no artificial horizon in the instrument group, which is quite common on aerobatic aircraft, since they are invariably flown in good weather and an AH is no use for aerobatics. You need one for an aerobatic aircraft if you fly it to an event, but you'd cage it for the actual aerobatics.Al
Closer.

It's lacking a prominent large chronometer, which is something an aerobatic aircraft should really have. There are a few other things which you could have for an aerobatic aircraft, such as a mount for an Aresti routine plan and some aid memoirs for the hasell checks etc, which is normally not a bad idea.The hasell check is probably why there are some parts removed from the panel incidentally, since you don't want unecessary stuff flying around in the cabin smashing you in the face, it's bad enough when the dirt flies up off the floor and gets you in the eye.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I just meant that there is no vertical speed indicator, when I got my tail-dragger endorsement, the VSI was critical for landing the plane smoothly, this CFI wants us to learn the feel of the aircraft so he had it taken out.Since this plane is not used for competition aerobatics, but just to teach tail-wheel proficiency, basic aerobatics, and spins, it was a purposeful omission on the part of the CFI.Thanks for all of your answers.

Wow... never heard of that, frankly! I personally would never teach landing by the instruments - especially not the VSI. The only instrument you should be concerned with during landing is your airspeed... nothing else.

I just meant that there is no vertical speed indicator, when I got my tail-dragger endorsement, the VSI was critical for landing the plane smoothly, this CFI wants us to learn the feel of the aircraft so he had it taken out.Since this plane is not used for competition aerobatics, but just to teach tail-wheel proficiency, basic aerobatics, and spins, it was a purposeful omission on the part of the CFI.Thanks for all of your answers.