Sign in to follow this  
airindia16

ILS approach

Assuming you are flying the default 737 and following the flight plan using the default GPS, try the following. it always works for me.When ATC gives the message, you are now 78 miles, turn..., follow their heading/alt instructions. Leave the NAV1 slaved to the GPS.When ATC tells you the runway you are using, go in to the GPS, hit program, choose and activate the ILS approach for that runway. You won't start flying the approach yet because you are in HDG mode but it will be ready for you when you need it.Enter the proper ILS frequency in to the NAV1 radio. When ATC gives you their final instructions before handing you off to the tower, hit VOR/LOC again. HDG will deactivate and the GPS will line you up with the runway. You will usually have a long, shallow turn towards the runway. Once you are lined up and leveled off at the altitude ATC gave you, move the GPS/NAV switch to NAV and select APPR. You should already have ALT selected. Begin to slow down, drop flaps and gears. It helps to be at your approach speed before descending of the GS. Watch the GS indicator on the PFD. Once it centers, ALT hold will switch off automatically and you will begin to descend. I don't know if it makes a difference but from the start of your descent (about 120 nm out), you need to descend at about 2000fpm to keep up with ATC and be at the right altitude at the right time. If you descend much slower, you will be too high when they give to your final instructions (about 30 nm out). If you follow the ATC ALT instructions, descend at 2000FPM and use the GPS approach they way I mentioned, you should be at the right ALT to intercept the GS.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

DFW doesn't have a runway 9/27.
yeah i apologize i meant kiah, but i found out it is ils.BTW you have an astounding number of add-ons!! what would you do if you had to reinstall fsx?!?! and how much did it cost you?

Assuming you are flying the default 737 and following the flight plan using the default GPS, try the following. it always works for me.When ATC gives the message, you are now 78 miles, turn..., follow their heading/alt instructions. Leave the NAV1 slaved to the GPS.When ATC tells you the runway you are using, go in to the GPS, hit program, choose and activate the ILS approach for that runway. You won't start flying the approach yet because you are in HDG mode but it will be ready for you when you need it.Enter the proper ILS frequency in to the NAV1 radio.When ATC gives you their final instructions before handing you off to the tower, hit VOR/LOC again. HDG will deactivate and the GPS will line you up with the runway. You will usually have a long, shallow turn towards the runway. Once you are lined up and leveled off at the altitude ATC gave you, move the GPS/NAV switch to NAV and select APPR. You should already have ALT selected. Begin to slow down, drop flaps and gears. It helps to be at your approach speed before descending of the GS. Watch the GS indicator on the PFD. Once it centers, ALT hold will switch off automatically and you will begin to descend. I don't know if it makes a difference but from the start of your descent (about 120 nm out), you need to descend at about 2000fpm to keep up with ATC and be at the right altitude at the right time. If you descend much slower, you will be too high when they give to your final instructions (about 30 nm out). If you follow the ATC ALT instructions, descend at 2000FPM and use the GPS approach they way I mentioned, you should be at the right ALT to intercept the GS.
what do you mean by "leave nav1 slaved to the gps" and you say to hit program on the GPS but there is not such button as program, what am i missing?thanks,airindia16

what do you mean by "leave nav1 slaved to the gps" and you say to hit program on the GPS but there is not such button as program, what am i missing?thanks,airindia16
The NAV/GPS toggle. In the NAV position, the frequency in the NAV1 radio controls navigation. In the GPS position, the GPS controls it. In the GPS position, you can not capture the GS. In the NAV position, the aircraft will not follow the GPS approach. That's why you fly the approach in GPS mode and then switch to NAV mode once you are lined up with the runway.Sorry, the button on the GPS is not "program" but "PROG"\Go ProgSelect Approach - Enter

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

KDLH has an ILS to runway 27 ;)inbound course 271 , glideslope intercept altitude 3200ft, frequency 108.70
so I just went to duluth and pulled the aircraft (using map) back to the ILS feather at the centerpoint where it says OM and was at 3200 feet, heading 271, with the ILS frequency set and everything. Then I turned on the autopilot and clicked APP with speed at 160 and full flaps and gear. The problem I encountered which has happened before is that my aircraft descends rapidly and then suddenly climbs and continues in this pattern for some strange reason... One I'm at the tip of the feather what exactly should I do?PS I have a picture of the cockpit at the feather in case that helps

Try it farther from the airport. You are way above the GS. Create an IFR flightplan from a near by airport and try it that way.

Hi, I'm just going to add my 2 cents to this thread....I think you might want to start off flying a C172, much simpler systems imho...Anyway, this picture is the ILS Ry 9 at KDLH. NAV1 radio frequency set to 110.30 - inbound course set to 090 (CRS or OBS knob). Set your NAV/GPS toggle switch to NAV mode. I drew the red dotted line to illustrate how ATC would vector you. To make things simple fly downwind of the final approach course roughly 5 - 10 miles from the airport. Here you will maintain 3,300 ft heading 270. In FSX ATC will take you waaay outside the outer marker (PYLKA on this chart) but in the real world ATC will turn you to heading 180 (essentially a square base leg) maybe 3-5 miles past the OM if traffic permits a close turn onto final.Now, here's how you calculate when to turn to the intercept heading of 120... Assuming you are perpendicular to the final approach course (180 is perpendicular to 090), take your ground speed divided by 100 to get the miles from final approach course to turn onto the localizer. If you are 250kts, at 2.5 miles north of final you would turn on at standard rate to have a smooth intercept of the localizer needle. 250 / 100 = 2.5 miles.We often vector F16's at work onto final and they scream in at 350 sometimes even 400 kts on the base leg - turn them to heading 120 when they are about 4 miles north of final approach course. 400 / 100 = 4.0 miles. A slow helicopter flying 60 kts only needs to be turned on about 1/2 mile north... even less realistically.... All of the above stuff is really more for self-vectoring within FSX when you hate how the in-game ATC does it lol (I really dislike 20 mi finals in the c172)ils9.jpgThe picture was mainly to provide a visual bird's eye view of what ATC is doing when they vector you to final...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Try it farther from the airport. You are way above the GS. Create an IFR flightplan from a near by airport and try it that way.
That's just what I did, I flew from KCLL to KIAH but I didnt know what to do once I reached the point where they tell you about the localizer. I had the correct Nav1 freqency and CRS heading for runway 26 right and I had the cockpit toggled to Nav and I clicked nav. I hate to be so ignorant but what am i missing?

Guest sg38
That's just what I did, I flew from KCLL to KIAH but I didnt know what to do once I reached the point where they tell you about the localizer. I had the correct Nav1 freqency and CRS heading for runway 26 right and I had the cockpit toggled to Nav and I clicked nav. I hate to be so ignorant but what am i missing?
Everything looks nice but you definitely have NOT set the correct ILS frequency in the ACTIVE nav 1 window. Have you selected it and therafter swapped it from the inactive standby to the active side?The ILS freq for ILS 26R is 111.55. If you have tuned the correct freq the ILS freq and the identifier IOND will appear on your PFD together with the ILS LOC and GS indication.

Everything looks nice but you definitely have NOT set the correct ILS frequency in the ACTIVE nav 1 window. Have you selected it and therafter swapped it from the inactive standby to the active side?The ILS freq for ILS 26R is 111.55. If you have tuned the correct freq the ILS freq and the identifier IOND will appear on your PFD together with the ILS LOC and GS indication.
Right, I know exactly what you are saying. I entered that into the Nav1 and then switched it to make it active... at first it seemed to appear on my PFD but then I do not know what happened.Thanks for replying.
Hi, I'm just going to add my 2 cents to this thread....I think you might want to start off flying a C172, much simpler systems imho...Anyway, this picture is the ILS Ry 9 at KDLH. NAV1 radio frequency set to 110.30 - inbound course set to 090 (CRS or OBS knob). Set your NAV/GPS toggle switch to NAV mode. I drew the red dotted line to illustrate how ATC would vector you. To make things simple fly downwind of the final approach course roughly 5 - 10 miles from the airport. Here you will maintain 3,300 ft heading 270. In FSX ATC will take you waaay outside the outer marker (PYLKA on this chart) but in the real world ATC will turn you to heading 180 (essentially a square base leg) maybe 3-5 miles past the OM if traffic permits a close turn onto final.Now, here's how you calculate when to turn to the intercept heading of 120... Assuming you are perpendicular to the final approach course (180 is perpendicular to 090), take your ground speed divided by 100 to get the miles from final approach course to turn onto the localizer. If you are 250kts, at 2.5 miles north of final you would turn on at standard rate to have a smooth intercept of the localizer needle. 250 / 100 = 2.5 miles.We often vector F16's at work onto final and they scream in at 350 sometimes even 400 kts on the base leg - turn them to heading 120 when they are about 4 miles north of final approach course. 400 / 100 = 4.0 miles. A slow helicopter flying 60 kts only needs to be turned on about 1/2 mile north... even less realistically.... All of the above stuff is really more for self-vectoring within FSX when you hate how the in-game ATC does it lol (I really dislike 20 mi finals in the c172)The picture was mainly to provide a visual bird's eye view of what ATC is doing when they vector you to final...
haha cool so how do I know when to turn left, say 2.5 miles north of the airport. Can I ask the airport like, "... is unfamiliar with the area... "

The NAV/GPS toggle. In the NAV position, the frequency in the NAV1 radio controls navigation. In the GPS position, the GPS controls it. In the GPS position, you can not capture the GS. In the NAV position, the aircraft will not follow the GPS approach. That's why you fly the approach in GPS mode and then switch to NAV mode once you are lined up with the runway.Sorry, the button on the GPS is not "program" but "PROG"\Go ProgSelect Approach - Enter
3 questions.1. Hate to be a pest but I think that the Garmin100 doesn't have a PROG button either... do you mean PROC, ie procedure to arrival? because I think that gives yoju the option to select your approach. If I'm missing PROG could you please give me a screenshot of it?2. Now for this, do I need to enter in the course, and Nav 1 stuff ( i doubt it but I thought I'd still check)3. And finally, can I simply enter this approach into the GPS at any time and toggle the cockpit to GPS and the airplane will fly right into the ILS path?!? Is that all that needs to be done?Thank you very much for your time!
Assuming you are flying the default 737 and following the flight plan using the default GPS, try the following. it always works for me.When ATC gives the message, you are now 78 miles, turn..., follow their heading/alt instructions. Leave the NAV1 slaved to the GPS.When ATC tells you the runway you are using, go in to the GPS, hit program, choose and activate the ILS approach for that runway. You won't start flying the approach yet because you are in HDG mode but it will be ready for you when you need it.Enter the proper ILS frequency in to the NAV1 radio.When ATC gives you their final instructions before handing you off to the tower, hit VOR/LOC again. HDG will deactivate and the GPS will line you up with the runway. You will usually have a long, shallow turn towards the runway. Once you are lined up and leveled off at the altitude ATC gave you, move the GPS/NAV switch to NAV and select APPR. You should already have ALT selected. Begin to slow down, drop flaps and gears. It helps to be at your approach speed before descending of the GS. Watch the GS indicator on the PFD. Once it centers, ALT hold will switch off automatically and you will begin to descend. I don't know if it makes a difference but from the start of your descent (about 120 nm out), you need to descend at about 2000fpm to keep up with ATC and be at the right altitude at the right time. If you descend much slower, you will be too high when they give to your final instructions (about 30 nm out). If you follow the ATC ALT instructions, descend at 2000FPM and use the GPS approach they way I mentioned, you should be at the right ALT to intercept the GS.
This is EXTREMLY helpful!! It actually answers the question I just asked :(, so I will definately try this and report the results!! my only q is when you say"hit VOR/LOC again." was I supposed to hit it previous to this occasion?Thanks more than infinately :)

Guest sg38
Right, I know exactly what you are saying. I entered that into the Nav1 and then switched it to make it active... at first it seemed to appear on my PFD but then I do not know what happened.
If you want to fly an ILS approach you NEED to find out WHY the ILS indications disappear.!!!Looking at your screenshot your are not in GPS mode as this would be indicated on the PFD as well.Also if you would have tuned a valid VOR the ID would be displayed on your PFD.Even if you are in GPS mode you can intercept and follow the VOR/LOC when you press the button.

I was just flying at KIAH runway 27 and followed your directions and everything made reasonable sense until you said:"6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 290 and AT AS to 190. The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles. When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage."when I turn to this heading, I'm so far away from the airport and heading even further! I can't pick up any glideslope because I'm not near the runway...After I took off, i turned to 170 and then once I was 23 miles away I turned again to 290, but I failed to understand what to do at this point; unless you were perhaps missing a step.I took a screenshot of my cockpit as i was at 290 heading in case that is of any help, with the Garmin open.Thanks,airindia16okay I'll try that but shouldnt i turn to a downwind of 163?
Sorry, real life kept me away.You are right. I ment to say "turn 170 degrees to a HDG of 100.". I turn back to 279-285 at 23 miles before the LOC needle goes inactive at 26 miles. Turning a full 180 degrees makes it a little hard to see the capture. The LOC needle will be pegged right and will go left. When it starts to move, you can press APP and the autopilot will capture and track the LOC. ALT HOLD will keep the aircraft at 5000 until the GS captures at 18 iles.Sorry about the mixup.Dave

I just flew 5 approaches using the following settings and they were right on.ILS Procedure for FSX (practice) at KSEA:Set COm1 to Tower 119.9.Set NAV1 to ILS RWY 34 RT 110.3.Set NAV2 to ILS RWY 34 LT 117.1. (Both DMEs the same)1. Taxi B737 to position and hold Rwy 34 RT.2. Set ILS freq. for rwy 34 in NAV1 110.3.3. Set AP HDG to 343, ALT to 5000, and AT AS to 250.4. Takeoff. Set AP/HDG/ALT/AT to ON.5. Turn HDG to 168. Aircraft will turn to 168 and level off at 5000.6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 003 and AT AS to 190. (The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles). When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage and the BELOW G/S light will coe ON.7. Set APP to ON. The aircraft will turn to center the LOC needle and HDG will dis-engage. The GS needle will slowly come down and center. The ALT will dis-engage.8. Drop 3 clicks of flaps, Set AT AS to 160. Drop gear. The aircraft will fly 2.5 degree slope.9. Set AT AS to 150. Add flaps slowly to Full DN.10. At 100 feet, dis-engage AT and close power levers.11. Flare/land.I do a touch and go to try it again. You can make the radio calls, or not, until you get comfortable with what the aircraft is doing.Have funDaveIntel Core I7 975 Quadcore OC @ 3.75 Ghz (Air)Asus P6T DLX V2 X58 1366, BD Combo Plextor B310SA6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866C7GTHIS ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 24", Saitek X-52 ProLogitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G15 Keyboard, G5 MouseThermaltake Element S Case, Corsair 850HX PSUC: Intel 80GB SSD w/Windows 7 Home 64D: WD 300GB Velocity Raptor w/FSX+Accel+GEX, F4AFE: WD 1TB Caviar Black w/Data SH4

I'm flying this route right now using your directions and my only question is that its says:TransVectors (or)NewlySo which one am i supposed to choose?and I am supposed to load this right? or do I activate it?thanks