Sign in to follow this  
alexczarn

Monitor Problem?

Hi Guys,We have an old (2004) Leader desktop with FS9 and other misc stuff with a 19"lcd monitor linked to a 128mb Nvidia Graphics card(GTX5200 i think). The monitor blacks out every 15 min or so then comes back on after about 5 min. A nuisance :groan:! Is it a video card problem or what? Any Ideas for help? :(

Hi Guys,We have an old (2004) Leader desktop with FS9 and other misc stuff with a 19"lcd monitor linked to a 128mb Nvidia Graphics card(GTX5200 i think). The monitor blacks out every 15 min or so then comes back on after about 5 min. A nuisance :groan:! Is it a video card problem or what? Any Ideas for help? :(
Does this occur in any other games?If you don't have ay other games, you might want to DL a 3D test like 3DMark or something similar and see if it happens in that.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

It happens with Midtown Madness demo, playing DVDS, all the time, even if you leave the computer on and don't do anything with it. Could it be the graphics card giving up? Its more or less the family computer.

It happens with Midtown Madness demo, playing DVDS, all the time, even if you leave the computer on and don't do anything with it. Could it be the graphics card giving up? Its more or less the family computer.
Hmmm, it could be the videocard. Has this just started happening, or has it be going on for a while off and on?Do you have another monitor or a friend with one you could test your system on?

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

No I dont.The problem started about last week i think.
As a wild guess, try blowing out the dust from that old CRT. I've got a CRT-TV that sometimes behaves as you describe. A can of air seems to solve the problem.Alex Reid

I would guess the videocard. Wasn't the FX series extremely hot running, or am I thinking of some other model?What model panel is it?Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I fractured two teeth at work today. That was fun. lol

Ark

Its a flatscreen mate :(
That's the myopia of old age at work!! Sorry- I was overly fascinated that another simmer is using the same ancient video card as me! I have 2 GeForce FX5200 cards (AGP & PCI) driving triple monitors- 2 LCDs & a 10 yr old CRT ! (This AMD 1.8 'puter is also 6+ yrs old!)Alex Reid

I'm not sure of the card. I'll check it out.I rarely use the desktop.I use my laptop nearly all the time.The video card is about 2-3 years old

Its not some quirky Windows Power Management thing going on is it. It shouldnt affect your monitor whilst you are playing games though but take a look and see incase something is making your monitor go to sleep after 15 minutes or so. Also could be a screensaver that you have activated also. Are you running FS2004 in windowed mode for example as I think even then the screensaver could then pop up.Anyway could always give it a try. Craig

No the monitor just blacks out.Restarting the computer or monitor doesn't work. You just have to sit and wait.

No the monitor just blacks out.Restarting the computer or monitor doesn't work. You just have to sit and wait.
Do you ever hear the videocard fan stop running right before this "blackout" or is everything still up and runnig but the panel goes dark?Usually, if it is a hardware/driver issue like a videocard, you will get a BSOD, restart, or something along those lines.

Ark

No everything is still up and running.You can shut the computer down by shortcuts, but the monitor ain't work.

No everything is still up and running.You can shut the computer down by shortcuts, but the monitor ain't work.
Hmm, it is a toss up between the panel and videocard, IMO. Can you go into Administrative Tools and check the Event Viewer (Administrative Tools is in the Control Panel) to see if there are any error reports?

Ark