Sign in to follow this  
rvc70

Frame rate drop

What can cause the frame rate to drop from around low 20's to 5 and 6? It was working fine until the day before yesterday then it dropped off, any suggestions as to what can cause this to happen? I reinstalled the video drive hoping this would correct it but it didn't. I am not sure where I should be looking at this point. Thanks.My specs are:Dell XPS 700Intel Core2 Duo processor w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX video card 250GB hard drive1 TB hard driveWindows XP ProfessionalXP SP3FSX SP2

What can cause the frame rate to drop from around low 20's to 5 and 6? It was working fine until the day before yesterday then it dropped off, any suggestions as to what can cause this to happen? I reinstalled the video drive hoping this would correct it but it didn't. I am not sure where I should be looking at this point. Thanks.My specs are:Dell XPS 700Intel Core2 Duo processor w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX video card 250GB hard drive1 TB hard driveWindows XP ProfessionalXP SP3FSX SP2
This happens from time to time, (though I've never seen it go down that low) it is usually caused by a problem with the fsx.cfg file. Rather then try to debug it, it's usually easier to rename it. (You can delete it, but it's a good idea to rename it for backup, so you still have it, atleast until you are satisfied things are working.) Then start FSX again, that will rebuild a new default config file. Reset your desired GUI settings, exit FSX then edit the new fsx.cfg and to add your previous tweak settings if any. You can use the backup file as a guide.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest FlugSimulatorXfan

If you have a problem with your fsx.cfg, you should use FlusiFIX to fix that!Flusifix is a great programm and abel to fix sooooo many bugs in Flight Simulator 9 and XFlusiFIX is availabel here: http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/Hope, that helps :D

I'll download the program and give it a try, will let you know if it corrects the problem. Thank you for the help.

This happens from time to time, (though I've never seen it go down that low) it is usually caused by a problem with the fsx.cfg file. Rather then try to debug it, it's usually easier to rename it. (You can delete it, but it's a good idea to rename it for backup, so you still have it, atleast until you are satisfied things are working.) Then start FSX again, that will rebuild a new default config file. Reset your desired GUI settings, exit FSX then edit the new fsx.cfg and to add your previous tweak settings if any. You can use the backup file as a guide.
I guess before I try anything else I will give your suggestion a try, hopefully it will get me back to where I was. Curious, I have 532.70GB free space on this drive, looking at my specs would this be sufficient to handle the needed space for windows to load FSX as it seems to me there is a minimum you need?

I guess before I try anything else I will give your suggestion a try, hopefully it will get me back to where I was. Curious, I have 532.70GB free space on this drive, looking at my specs would this be sufficient to handle the needed space for windows to load FSX as it seems to me there is a minimum you need?
532 GB free? Yes, that is plentyI would start with deleting the FSX.cfg and letting it rebuild. You can't get much cleaner than a fresh one. You really don't need a program to take care of that for you and you really don't need to make too many edits to the cfg when tuning FSX. Usually less is better.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

532 GB free? Yes, that is plentyI would start with deleting the FSX.cfg and letting it rebuild. You can't get much cleaner than a fresh one. You really don't need a program to take care of that for you and you really don't need to make too many edits to the cfg when tuning FSX. Usually less is better.
OK, I started by deleting the FSX.cfg and let it rebuild unfortunately it did not change the frame rate. I looked at that utility suggested in the forum and all it does it allow you to change options in the FSX.cfg and I guess that would be fine it you knew what you were looking for. I don't know where to go at this point with this and cannot run FSX with this low a frame rate.

If your mouse cursor is on the screen you'll get a huge FPS loss... at least for some users.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If your mouse cursor is on the screen you'll get a huge FPS loss...  at least for some users.
So why is mouse tracking such a resource hog?  C'mon man - it is 2010!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

So why is mouse tracking such a resource hog?  C'mon man - it is 2010!jja
Problem is FSX wasn't written in 2010. It always needed another service pack but we know the story there.Bryan.

I was wondering if you have had any solution to this problem? I'm having the same drop in frame rate just like yours and it is so frustrating. Anybody else has a solution? ThnxGus