Sign in to follow this  
simman

garmin

I am trying to learn more about the garmin in the cessna with the glass cockpit. The part I am trying right now is how to use the nearest airport button. The instruction says to click nrst button and then turn the fms button to highlight the airport that I want. The list comes up when I click nrst but my fms button does nothing. I would like to hear from someone that will try theirs to see if it is just mine that is not working. possibly I am doing something wrong. ThanksDon

Hi Don,Use the Cursor button to highlight the selection options on any of the Garmin pages. When you've got the yellow cursor then use the outer ring on the G500 to scroll through the list of options and the Enter button to make a selection. From memory on the G295 you use the up and down buttons to scroll through the list of options.

Mike Beckwith

DonI guess that you are talking about the G1000?You said: I am trying to learn more about the garmin in the cessna with the glass cockpit. The part I am trying right now is how to use the nearest airport button. The instruction says to click nrst button and then turn the fms button to highlight the airport that I want. The list comes up when I click nrst but my fms button does nothing. I would like to hear from someone that will try theirs to see if it is just mine that is not working. possibly I am doing something wrong. ThanksYou are correct in that you have to highlight the airport, waypoint etc using the NRST button. Once highlighted you then need to select the "D" "Direct to" button, and your selection will be there. You the press ENT to "activate" your choice. AFAIK you can't actually activate a waypoint with the NRST button but only highlight your selection. It just saves you time entering your ICAO code in the "Direct to" screen.RegardsPeterH

DonI guess that you are talking about the G1000?You said: I am trying to learn more about the garmin in the cessna with the glass cockpit. The part I am trying right now is how to use the nearest airport button. The instruction says to click nrst button and then turn the fms button to highlight the airport that I want. The list comes up when I click nrst but my fms button does nothing. I would like to hear from someone that will try theirs to see if it is just mine that is not working. possibly I am doing something wrong. ThanksYou are correct in that you have to highlight the airport, waypoint etc using the NRST button. Once highlighted you then need to select the "D" "Direct to" button, and your selection will be there. You the press ENT to "activate" your choice. AFAIK you can't actually activate a waypoint with the NRST button but only highlight your selection. It just saves you time entering your ICAO code in the "Direct to" screen.RegardsPeterH
Yes it is the 1000 in 2010 fsx that I am talking about and in the learning center there is a whole section about operation. That is where I got the info. My problem is that I follow them to the letter but the large fms button does nothing. So it appears that mine is defective and Probably nothing to do about it short of reinstall the sim and I am not going to do that unless something more major happens. Thanks to you guys for the help. If you read the garmin 1000 instructions you will see what I mean about using the fms button. Thanks again Don

There is nothing "broken." Learning to use the mouse points is sometimes a challenge, but they do work - when used properly... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is nothing "broken." Learning to use the mouse points is sometimes a challenge, but they do work - when used properly... :)
I don't have any trouble turning any other knob on the panel. So you're saying that the knob does work? that it is my fault? Chances are it is but I don't know how to do it different.Don

I don't have any trouble turning any other knob on the panel. So you're saying that the knob does work? that it is my fault? Chances are it is but I don't know how to do it different.Don
DonSorry I misunderstood you. Bill is correct - you have just find the right spot/area on or around the FMS knob for you to move the highlighter point. As you pan over the FMS knob slowly you should see a "+" (right side) and "-" (left side) sign over both the inner and outer (larger) FMS knob and clicking the Larger FMS knob where the "+" sign shows should allow you highlight down one by one all the waypoints, airfields, etc in the NRST pop-up. Mine works exactly as per the FSX G1000 instructions.Good luck with this one.RegardsPeterH

DonSorry I misunderstood you. Bill is correct - you have just find the right spot/area on or around the FMS knob for you to move the highlighter point. As you pan over the FMS knob slowly you should see a "+" (right side) and "-" (left side) sign over both the inner and outer (larger) FMS knob and clicking the Larger FMS knob where the "+" sign shows should allow you highlight down one by one all the waypoints, airfields, etc in the NRST pop-up. Mine works exactly as per the FSX G1000 instructions.Good luck with this one.RegardsPeterH
Yes I know how they work and have been over mine over and over and the plus and minus signs are there but I STILL can't scroll the list. So I know now that something is wrong with mine. I just don't know what to do about it Thanks for trying yours. It showed me that I have a problem. Don

Is the airport or navaid in the list HIGHLIGHTED AND FLASHING. If it is, ONLY THEN can the list be scrolled. It is a little hard to see in the screenshot below, but the second airport in the list is highlighted in light blue and is also blinking (although you obviously cannot see that in a still picture). To do this, you must first PUSH the knob to put the list in to CURSOR mode. To push the knob, your hand-pointer must be positioned over the knob but will NOT have a "+" or "-" in it. With the hand-pointer over the knob and no "+" or "-" in it, if you click the mouse, the knob will be pushed. Once in cursor mode, the airport or navaid will highlight and blink. Then you move the hand-pointer slightly ... to the edge of the knob (as shown here in the screenshot) and the "+" or "-" will appear depending on which side of the knob you are on. NOW you can scroll the list (either click the mouse or use the mouse-wheel). You scroll to what you want and then click the ENT button (or the CLR button if you change your mind and wish to simply return to normal operation).Getting the correct location of the hand-pointer can be tricky ... but it can be done. And once you've done it a few times, it almost becomes second nature such that you can do it without much thought at all.Keep at it, you'll get it.cessnagarmin.jpg

Regards,

Freddy

Is the airport or navaid in the list HIGHLIGHTED AND FLASHING. If it is, ONLY THEN can the list be scrolled. It is a little hard to see in the screenshot below, but the second airport in the list is highlighted in light blue and is also blinking (although you obviously cannot see that in a still picture). To do this, you must first PUSH the knob to put the list in to CURSOR mode. To push the knob, your hand-pointer must be positioned over the knob but will NOT have a "+" or "-" in it. With the hand-pointer over the knob and no "+" or "-" in it, if you click the mouse, the knob will be pushed. Once in cursor mode, the airport or navaid will highlight and blink. Then you move the hand-pointer slightly ... to the edge of the knob (as shown here in the screenshot) and the "+" or "-" will appear depending on which side of the knob you are on. NOW you can scroll the list (either click the mouse or use the mouse-wheel). You scroll to what you want and then click the ENT button (or the CLR button if you change your mind and wish to simply return to normal operation).Getting the correct location of the hand-pointer can be tricky ... but it can be done. And once you've done it a few times, it almost becomes second nature such that you can do it without much thought at all.Keep at it, you'll get it.cessnagarmin.jpg
Still doesn't work. All the other buttons on there work but this one does not. Thanks for the help Don

This is a 5 function knob, turn on 'tool tips' in the FSX settings to be able to see exactly where and what each does.....they all work, you just have to be in the correct loaction....

Jay

Zombie thread back from the dead :) Hi all I'm a new FSX pilot with a stock installation. No mods. I've been flying FSX for about 10 hours now in several planes using the virtual cockpits and every 3d knob I've encountered (even the dual ring knobs) works fine - except for the FMS knob on the G1000. I have the same problem as the OP. I get an entry highlighted but I can't scroll. Well, almost - one time out of 50 for some strange reason the FMS knob worked for just a moment and the Main page changed to the waypoint screen and I was able to page through the WP sub pages. I could not get out of the WP pages or chose waypoints on the flight plan sub page if I brought it up though so the outer ring must have stopped working again. I exited flight to read more lesson info, went back in, and the FMS knob wouldn't work even once. I've tried both 2d and virtual cockpit G1000 panels. I've enlarged the 2d panel and zoomed the 3d screen way in just to make the FMS knob large in case I couldn't hit the outer ring. I've tried the mouse wheel, clicking when + or -, click/drag to no effect. So frustrating! I'm running the FSX w/ Acceleration version; I'd give you a specific version number if I could find it :) Anyone else seeing this bug lately or heard of a patch needed to make this work? I didn't find any recent threads in this forum. Help! I'm running out of fuel! ThanksClark

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg

The "Hand" has to have a + sign in it for it to work... left click. Mouse wheel does not work (unfortunately).

Bert

Thanks Bert, I won't bother trying that anymore. Success! So it seems that the outer ring hotspots are only on the upper third of the dial (11 o'clock and 1 o'clock). I was hunting around in the middle and lower half of the knob and was never hitting the hotspots. Clear skies! Clark

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg