Sign in to follow this  
Guest pancreas

Microsoft Please Listen

Thank you for giving us patches for Fs2000 we really appreciated your interest in the problems and your response to FlightsimIt made us think yes you do care more than just money quality is important.Well if you are listning scanning the forums please do something for the Sim againI mean how can one take of from an Ultra Basic Airport like Rarotonga for my test case, an Island with not much fancy Autogen. Take of at + 40fps fly straight out a few kilometres turn around to come straight back in, still at 40+ fps then touch down and everything goes about 1-2 fps!. Whats the story , I can turn pages on a magazine faster than that.If I rename your default.xml in the autogen folder the Problem seems solved, but you should not have to do that. Come on , we support you how about some feedback. I enjoy the Sim and Learn alot from it. But I cannot learn from Touchdown and Taxi at 1-2 fps.If you read this thankyou for you timeMany of us spend well over 10 times the sims price just to have an As Real as it Gets Experience with the ProductI hope we will be able to say soon it was Worth itKind regards GregNew ZealandWarp factor 6 :-)

Greg, Somethings's wrong in your handware set-up orsoftware tinkering. Mine does none of those thingsso it can't be Micrsosoft.Peter Sydney Australia

Hi PeterHardware is fairly normalBios Defaults except turn of video shadow ram. Disabled AGP fast writes512 mb 2000 athlonXP XP updated to the max no antivirus ,lean run registry ,defraged ,Catalyst 3.8 defaults except 2xaa ,Radeon9600 pro 128mb Beats me and never had that prob on FS2002I will double check things though, Kind Regards Greg

1-2 FPS is not normal. However, a drop to half or one third of the normal framerate is experienced on many systems.It's certainly not a hardware problem. There is a very real bug in the FS2004 scenery code. Deleting the default.xml file will solve the problems with autogen.The bug however also affects library objects. Any third party sceneries containing many library objects will suffer from the same problem even when the default.xml file is edited or deleted.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest FPSFREAK

I have to also disagree 1-2 FPS is not normal and therein you automatically have to look someplace other than the Sim.. Usually Jimmi your posts are very either informative or based on a lot of testing but I hate to inform you of something but a problem that is not occuring on every machine a piece of software runs on is not going to be considered a software problem. Sorry bud.Logic alone should tell you that. What is the one variable with all of the issues seen with the sim..... The Hardware. The program always remains the same.Lets just take WinXP for an example.....50 MILLION lines of code that takes up more than a Gig and a half of HD space must support more than 12,000 devices such as printers, montiors, video cards, sound cards, motherboards HD's etc. Not only that but it has to, becuase consumers such as ourselves demand it, run todays latest programs as well as try to be compatible with apps written as far back as 1980. Hell some of the people who helped develop XP weren't even alive than. Yet some how, people seem to find it Mr.Bill and MS's fault for almost everything that goes wrong with these silly machines of ours.Now don't get me wrong I'm no MS fanatic. Far from it but let's step back from our frustration and take an honest look at the situation. First off, those that spend $2000 on a machine and $50 on software and think there going to experience something "As real as it gets" are fooling themselves. If that was the case pilots would be trained on machines I build and the Gov't and Airlines could save themselves a bundle of money. Now that doesn't mean that our $50 shouldn't buy us the best product it can but we also need to be honest and look at the situation from an outside perspective.Answer me this. Why can I build 2 of the EXACT same machines, part for part. Install the exact same software and at the same time benchmark them in the exact same room, on the exact same desk under the exact same conditions and come up with 2 totally different results. Don't say you can't becuase I have done it. On more than one occassion. It's called electronics and software.Now before I get my A** burnt to a crisp with the flames I see coming, I'm not saying there aren't issues with the Sim. Some are highly legitimate gripes. Others are purely a case of unreasonable demands by unreasonable people. The issue with flashing menus w Radeon cards is a valid issue. It happens on every machine in every condition. The problem above is not the same thing. I get none of the autogen issues you and others speak of. Call me lucky but in all honesty the only real issue I have is the menu flickering. Maybe I see less becuase I don't profess to use the sim as a training aid to really learn how to fly or get grossly involved in the inner workings of ATC. I have to spend my day catering to them. Trust me 70% of them are prince's and princess and the last thing I want to do is come home and experience the talk and inner workings. ( I know I'm going to get hammered for that last comment probably but the truth is the truth ;) ).Again, I feel bad that there are some users who are experiencing problems but don't point fingers unless we're all 100% sure it's the fault of the sim which your not.Yes it's a shame that you, he and others have to delete the XML file to solve an issue but how have you narrowed it down to MS's fault when not everyone is experiencing it?Just some food for thought. Sorry for the winded post.Bobby

Hi there This problem of 1-2 fps is only when I touch down on the runway.It does not occur in the airThanks for Listning Im certainly open to ideasRegards Greg

Got no problem with your comments BobbyThanks for your inputJust beats me Why this bizzare fps happens on my rig on a tiny airport on a tiny Island Rarotonga in Cessna AmphibianCheers GregI may go back and rebuild my system from a fresh image I made with PowerQuest Drive Image 5.0 before I added any thing to the system other than Its own XP clean Install

Guest allcott

Try using the search function, there are lots of posts along similar lines to your dilemma. It is unnecessary to ask Microsoft to teach you how to use a search engine or how to maintain your computer, you can do all that for yourself. There are classes for that kind of thing. There are forums for detailed information about sim issues. Next, the default .xml `issue` has been detailed and researched extensively in this forum. Try searching and you may find the solution, or at least further inforamtin which will save you from banging your head against a brick wall. But do the first thing first.Finally, MS included a `reset scenery` button is the assignments options to restore frame rates when things suffer. Set a key combination for yourself and you can fix most scenery-related `logjam` in the blink of an eye. But do the first thing first.Finally, before you do all that, do the first thing first. Your problem is not related to the scenery. Check the sound card.Allcott

Guest JeanLuc_

Just a thought: turn your effect details slider to the minimum. Is the problem solved then?If this is happening when touching the ground, I strongly think FS is trying to do something for the on-ground situation, and this could be the effects (tire smoke and such). It looks like FS is trying to load the effect file when it needs it, not in advance in memory. And when a hard drive access occurs, the FPS drops...Let us know.

>Finally, MS included a `reset scenery` button is the>assignments options to restore frame rates when things suffer.The "refresh scenery" button does not work to cure the progressive autogen performance hit.Wolfgang

Not quite true. A software should be compatible with all k

Guest FPSFREAK

>Not quite true. A software should be compatible with all k

First off, if you are getting 40+ fps, it would seem that your frames slider is a little too high. I don't want to get into the endless argument of what target framerate is right (there is no right answer, it is a personal preference), but try locking your frames per second much lower, even the default 20. I keep my frames locked at 20, and I feel it is very smooth and I get zero stutters (I do also have a powerful computer). If 20 is too low, then try 25 or so. If you set your frames too high, your frames per second can jump all over the place, causing stutters and big drops in performance. Also, make sure your hard drive is fully defragmented. Run a full defrag on all your drives and then try it. Also, posting your exact system specs, including driver versions would help considerably.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest FPSFREAK

>First off, if you are getting 40+ fps, it would seem that>your frames slider is a little too high. I don't want to get>into the endless argument of what target framerate is right>(there is no right answer, it is a personal preference), but>try locking your frames per second much lower, even the>default 20. I keep my frames locked at 20, and I feel it is>very smooth and I get zero stutters (I do also have a powerful>computer). If 20 is too low, then try 25 or so. If you set>your frames too high, your frames per second can jump all over>the place, causing stutters and big drops in performance. I posted this in another thread and seems like it may do some good here as a possible fix for the FR drop he's experiencing. I agree with what you say except for the fact that locking the slider DOES make a difference. The slider sets two values in your FS config file. First is the UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=XX. (XX is the value that you set with the slider within your display properties window) This does what it says by locking the upper limit of the allowable Framerates. This than allows for the remaining resources to be divieed out to other tasks such as smoothing gauge motion, pre-loading scenery etc...(Now maybe it becomes easier to see why a higher end machine makes such a dramatic improvement in the overall performance of FS.The second thing it does is set the LOD_TARGET_FPS=XX (In this case thats approximately 70% of the value you set with the slider). This can be found in the block of your FS CFG file. This would seem to provide a Minimum value for your framerates.If the "Load" you place on your machine w Aircraft and Scenery allows you to operate within this 30% range than FS will provide all the visiual detail you define with the rest of the sliders. Drop below this minimum and FS will start dropping detail in an attempt to stay above the minimum that was set. The first thing to dump out is texture detail, the very thing that is responsible for the blurriness or fuzzy textures people speak of, the next thing is your Framerates.So basically, those that are experiencing the blurries and or stuttering should first set their target framerate at a resonable setting...20-25. 20 Will still provide for fluid simming while allowing the 30% to drop the low end to around 14. More than possible with even low end Video cards and sub 2 Ghz CPU's.I have mine set on my machine at 25 currently, down from the 35 I had it set at and I can say the difference was visually apparent the minute I fired the sim up.>Also, make sure your hard drive is fully defragmented. Run a>full defrag on all your drives and then try it.Absolutely! great advice >Also, posting your exact system specs, including driver>versions would help considerably.Couldn't have said it better and probably should have from the beginning. Bobby

I think others have address likely problems with your setup...I'd like to address your writing.You indicated your were writing to Microsoft, used "please" in the title, and then insulted the heck out of Microsoft in the first sentence.Its not logical to insult people if you wish their help.If you weren't writing to Microsoft, why pretend to be?Bob Bernstein