Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Anybody using 40''+ full HD monitors with flight sims?

From my calculations, 1920x1080 on a 40'' LCD equals (in terms of dot pitch) to a measly 640x480 on a 17'' CRT. So I was wondering, how's the perceived resolution and image quality of FS on a 40''+ full HD screen?Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Using 42" at 1920x1080 and 27" at 1920x1200.................B E A U T I F U L

Well, this is a major disappointment! It appears that my 40" HDTV will only support 4:3 ratio when connected to the FSX machine... :( EDITED: I was too hasty with the my report, so I'm removing the rest of this post as it is incorrect. See my most recent post for the final verdict!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, this is a major disappointment! It appears that my 40" HDTV will only support 4:3 ratio when connected to the FSX machine... :(
Actually it was your post on "What does your cockpit/desk look like?" that prompted me to open this thread! :)However I'm sure there's a way to resolve the issue... I presume you changed your screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 x 60Hz in Windows control panel?Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Actually it was your post on "What does your cockpit/desk look like?" that prompted me to open this thread! :)However I'm sure there's a way to resolve the issue... I presume you changed your screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 x 60Hz in Windows control panel?Marco
Well, that is precisely the problem. Win7 "sees" the Toshiba as a "Generic non-PnP device" and offers only a very few choices of resolution, all of which are simply variations on 4:3 ratio...Now I can set the Toshiba for "Theatre 2" which stretches the image to fill the screen, but the Spot Views are likewise stretched out of proportion. The wide-screen 2d panel(s) I've developed look perfect, but of course the outside view is stretched out of proportion.The video card in my FS machine doesn't have an HDMI port, so I can't use that to achive my goal, and I'm not at all certain that a DVI-HDMI adapter would solve the problem either!I think I'm going to take a drive over to CompUSA (Tiger Direct's Retail Outlet) tomorrow and check out some of one's they have on display to see if I can find one that actually supports 16:9 directly. I know that all of their displays are hooked up to their networked system so it should be easy enough to identify which ones work! :(

Fr. Bill    

Well, that is precisely the problem. Win7 "sees" the Toshiba as a "Generic non-PnP device" and offers only a very few choices of resolution, all of which are simply variations on 4:3 ratio...
That's weird, your LED TV is listed as compatible with Win7:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Toshiba%2040UX600U%2040.0%22%20diagonal%201080p%20HD%20LCD&v=Toshiba&uid=40UX600U&l=en-US&pf=0π=0&s=toshiba%2040ux600u&os=64-bitI found this on another forum however:"Solution was : Find an old VGA cable in closet, plug the monitor with it and an vga>dvi adaptor, select good resolution, then replug back with a dvi cable."

Perhaps modifying the monitor .inf found here can help you get the aspect ratio you're looking for:http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/It's gotten me out of a few jams when I couldn't otherwise produce a custom display resolution/refresh rate.EDIT:Someone on the NVidia forums has posted a modified version of the .inf specifically for Windows 7 64-bit. You'll find it here:http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=19477

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Thanks for the tips, guys! I think my very first step will to buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable so I can eliminate the digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion nonsense that occurs when trying to use a VGA-to-VGA cable.Since I also need to buy a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable anyway for my digital video camera, I may as well get the proper cable for the FS computer to HDTV while I'm at CompUSA.

Fr. Bill    

Bill:If you are using a VGA cable to connect the video card to the TV then I don't believe you can get HD resolutions via VGA.Check out this topic here:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090812012318AAnAqVETodd

The DVI-to-HDMI cable has done the trick! FSX using my wide-screen 2d panel(s) looks very nice, but it really shines when switching to the virtual cockpit!I'm uploading a new video to YouTube and will edit this post with the link whenever it's finished (although I'm a bit embarrassed by my "piloting")......it's kind of difficult to work the pedals when you're sitting sideways! :(

Fr. Bill    

The DVI-to-HDMI cable has done the trick! FSX using my wide-screen 2d panel(s) looks very nice, but it really shines when switching to the virtual cockpit!
Great! :) So, how's the perceived image quality on such a big screen? I feared it looked grainy?Marco

Great! :) So, how's the perceived image quality on such a big screen? I feared it looked grainy?
Actually, when viewed in person it's crystal clear and the colors are perfect. You can't really judge what can be seen in person to a video made with an 'el cheapo' pocket digital recorder (I won't dignify this gadget with the name "video camera!"), but it was the only way to somehow "capture the experience" I have at hand... :( Now I get the "fun" of moving a ton of books just so I can relocate the FS Desk to face the wall on which the HDTV is mounted... :(

Fr. Bill