Sign in to follow this  
hipshot

Totally Lost

Hi,I'm totally lost. After numerous attempts with this I still haven't even managed to get to taxi the plane because 3 hrs have passed and it's time to do something else. I can get voice recognition to recognise only about 1 in 20 attempts at a word. I normally bypass the Turn Check totally because I cannot get it to recognise "Complete". It takes about 50 attempts at the word "Checked" as it usually only recognises "Check". Australians do a really good American accent as we are exposed to it from the first minutes of our lives. I have tried every American accent, every way, every volume, every microphone position and it's been a total waste of hours every time. I use Vista. Voice recognition works fine in the Vista tutorial and in general useage.I really think that a sound file that has audio examples of the way each word should be spoken with this software would have been really useful as then one could listen and learn to copy the pronunciation of each word.I also think that a button like F11 which moves you to the next checklist item after failure of voice recognition to recognise the current one would also save massive amounts of frustration.If anyone has suggestions to make a differencewith my use of this, please, I would really appreciate hearing them.Richard

Hi Richard,Have you performed the Vista voice training? Not sure what it's called under Vista, but you basically read out a bunch of sentences to the computer so that it can learn the intonation of your voice and how you say certain words. Even if you have, the voice recog can sometimes be a little deaf..you just have to make sure that you pronounce the word very crisply. Also check your microphone settings, as if this is set to quiet or there's a lot of background noise, the voice engine will struggle sometimes. Remember that you also need the voice regoc set to 'English US' if you haven't done that already.if all else fails and you simply want to progress to the next item in a checklist, then you should be able to just say the word "next as in other versions.

Hi Richard,You can say "next" to skip.And I assume you've printed out the manual.You clearly have an issue with your speech recognition.Other Australians and non-Americans, such as Japanese and eastern Europeans, use the program with no issue so I doubt your pronunciation is the problem.If they can do it, so can you.Things to try:1. Run the Windows Voice Training again.2. Make sure the Windows Speech Recognition is "off". You don't want two instances of it running.3. Keep your microphone away from the speakers. The J41 is loud and has a noisy cockpit. You could be getting a lot of ambient engine noise running interference. Try turning down your speakers to see if it makes a difference.Hope that helps.Best,

Thanks for both replies. Guys, I have already done most of those things with no success. I would love to skip to the next item on the checklist by saying "next" as it says in the instructions but the trouble is that it does not recognise me saying "next". There is just no response. As I said I had no problem doing the Vista speech recognition tutorial so I can't see what would be achieved by doing it again. Speech recognition in general computer usage also works fine. I've also checked my microphone volume. Windows speech recognition has been off.I guess I can try speaking even more crisply but I think I have tried every way to speak that I'm capable of. I've already tried turning down cockpit/engine noise but I'll try none at all and see if it works better.Richard

Thanks for both replies. Guys, I have already done most of those things with no success. I would love to skip to the next item on the checklist by saying "next" as it says in the instructions but the trouble is that it does not recognise me saying "next". There is just no response. As I said I had no problem doing the Vista speech recognition tutorial so I can't see what would be achieved by doing it again. Speech recognition in general computer usage also works fine. I've also checked my microphone volume. Windows speech recognition has been off.I guess I can try speaking even more crisply but I think I have tried every way to speak that I'm capable of. I've already tried turning down cockpit/engine noise but I'll try none at all and see if it works better.Richard
Hi Richard,As a test, turn the ambient aircraft sound (like the engines) all the way off.I don't know how strong your accent is, but sometimes it can help if you Americanize your accent a bit.Also double confirm that your speech recognizer is set to English - US and not English - AU.Failing all that, please email me and I'll check your setting via remote desktop.Generally, there's no reason why you shouldn't be getting over 90 percent accuracy. I get over 95, but my accent is pretty neutral.Cheers,

Brian and Callum,Hooray!!!! Success!!!!I have turned off the speakers so that there is no background noise at all now. All sound now comes through the headset and FS2Crew now works perfectly. That was the problem. Maybe my microphone is just very sensitive. You both mentioned the voice recognition deafness and the background noise as possible problems so thanks for your help. Talking about it in a forum often crystallises things. Brian, I already had the other things you mentioned in your last post set and it's so nice to see a developer taking such an active interest. I really appreciate that.It was just so much fun to have it working like clockwork. What a great product.An even bigger reason that it has made me so happy is that now I can look forward to buying the voice commander for my PMDG 747 (already using FS2Crew button version) and later, the voice commander for the PMDG 737 NGX when it is released.Richard

Brian and Callum,Hooray!!!! Success!!!!I have turned off the speakers so that there is no background noise at all now. All sound now comes through the headset and FS2Crew now works perfectly. That was the problem. Maybe my microphone is just very sensitive. You both mentioned the voice recognition deafness and the background noise as possible problems so thanks for your help. Talking about it in a forum often crystallises things. Brian, I already had the other things you mentioned in your last post set and it's so nice to see a developer taking such an active interest. I really appreciate that.It was just so much fun to have it working like clockwork. What a great product.An even bigger reason that it has made me so happy is that now I can look forward to buying the voice commander for my PMDG 747 (already using FS2Crew button version) and later, the voice commander for the PMDG 737 NGX when it is released.Richard
Hi Richard,Glad you got sorted.FYI, on my setup, I still have the engine noise coming through my speakers, and I have no issues, so your mic may be just too close to the speakers or too sensitive.The Jetstream is very loud and noisy, so engine noise is definitely a factor.Cheers,