Sign in to follow this  
boyderoo

40 inch TV or Projector

I have decided to treat myself to an improved Display for FS2004 and am considering either Cheap projector say £350 or a cheapish 40 inch TV either as a singular display or as a primary with say Nav or engine controls on the old 19 inch LCD monitor.II presume if the Primary display was on the Television i couldnt split nav or engines to the Old LCD monitor could I?? I have a smallish study sit at thedesk so 40 ich Tv or the display would only be 18" to 2 feet awayfactors i need advice on are ; resolution issues ???? Tv would be HD, projector resolution would probably be less at that budgETWould either choice affect Frame Rate???Search on the posts reveal a few with the 40 inch TV and not many with the Projected display Any comments appreciated Thanks in advance

I would advise against the projector. Your color fidelity will be greatly affected by the color of the wall onto which it is projected, plus if you don't have it absolutely level, it'll be distorted. You'd get a better experience from using a TV rather than a monitor.If you're going to go for a 40+" TV, though...don't go cheap! You'll want at least a 1080p resolution and at least a 120hz refresh rate. The refresh rate is important to eliminate ghosting and pixelization for the moving images. the 1080p hi-def resolution will give you a much better picture than 720p. You'll also want to use an HDMI connection (if your video card supports it) or at least an HDMI to DVI connection. That will provide the highest definition and reliability with virtually no noise or distortion. The size of the monitor won't affect framerates, since your monitor's performance is driven by your video card. If you have a low-end video card, you'll probably want to upgrade to a card that supports at least a 1080 vertical resolution. Anything below that will look grainy and pixellated.If you can afford it, you would be better getting an LED TV as opposed to an LCD. The LED has a much brighter, richer picture and is much thinner, lighter and puts out only 10th of the heat that an LCD TV puts out.I have a 42" LG LED 1080p 120hz TV as my monitor and it is absolutely the best picture I've ever had. I bought it on sale at Best Buy for $599 and was probably one of the best flight sim investments I've ever made. I run it through my nVidia GTX 285 at 1920x1080 and the picture quality is astonishing!Good luck!

Thanks for that i agree with what you say I think I was leaning towards the TV to start with interesting about the refresh rate i had heard that it depends on an individuals eyes ie some people need a high refresh rate whereas some ( the majority ) cannot distinguish a higher refresh rate I thought the ms time for the pixel was the key feature ie 2-5ms as the pixel response time ??probably need an LCD TV forum here now rather than FS2004 or hardware section of this site

I have been using a projector for the past five years and would not think of simming on any screen in the future. My image is life-like size and allows me (with Track IR) a full immersion. Evidently I made a screen on the wall so as to keep my colours faithful to reality. There is absolutely no FPS hit whatsoever. What you need to be careful about is to choose a projector that will allow you to "shoot" from the side so to speak unless you place it above your head if you can, but in any case you will have to be able to rectify the image so as to keep it perfectly rectangular. Otherwise once you try it, you won't look back and will wonder how it's possible to sim on a TV screen anymore...Best regards,

What spec & type is your projector . What cable link do you use from video card?

JVC DLA 21 SX. I use a regular VGA cable with my ATI card. Screen resolution 1200 x 1600. Vertical speed 60 Hz.

Check this one out:http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips#p/u/3/vXXSqce04fE