Sign in to follow this  
cmeeks

My Sandy Bridge Experience

Hi Guys,It's fun, but a little bit frustrating to get all this sorted. I am on my 2nd hour on Prime95 for core 1.376 volts for 4.8 Ghz with 60C on 4 cores. I will give it another hour and if stable and cool will use the same settings for 4.9. It bluescreened at 5.0 with the same settings after almost an hour at 1.376 with 8 cores. Still have not loaded anything except default FSX and acceleration. Went for a flight over New York at 4.8 and was amazed at the smoothness and speed. Testing, testing, testing...Kind regards,

Stephen, do you keep HT on for FSX?

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I'm assuming you're speaking in terms of the BSOD issues I was having while at idle... I might try that. I had actually bumped them up from 1.54v for the same reason, but I may as well put them at 1.65v to be sure.If you're talking about me trying to run my memory at 2133, I've tried as high as 1.7v and still couldn't get into windows.
Yes, I was talking about your stability issues, but I would downclock the RAM to something like 1333 CL9 and see what happens, not increasing your Vdimm. Sometimes you hit a wall where no matter how much voltage you set it won't be stable. My Mushkin blacklines are rated 2000 CL7 but my board won't run them any faster than 1800, so I just tightened the timings to make up for the loss of MHzIf it doesn't help, at least you know then for sure that it's more Vcore what you need
Hi Guys,It's fun, but a little bit frustrating to get all this sorted. I am on my 2nd hour on Prime95 for core 1.376 volts for 4.8 Ghz with 60C on 4 cores. I will give it another hour and if stable and cool will use the same settings for 4.9. It bluescreened at 5.0 with the same settings after almost an hour at 1.376 with 8 cores. Still have not loaded anything except default FSX and acceleration. Went for a flight over New York at 4.8 and was amazed at the smoothness and speed. Testing, testing, testing...Kind regards,
Is that 1.376V in BIOS or full load Vcore Stephen? ANd with HT on or off please?

LMAO, two panic threads already about the chipset thing

Yeah, there's like 10 or more over at overclock.net, each of them starting with something like "don't know if this has been posted yet, but..." Just enjoy your boards for the time being and if they're affected get them replaced in late February. End of discussion, no big deal.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Guest jahman
...I am on my 2nd hour on Prime95 for core 1.376 volts for 4.8 Ghz with 60C on 4 cores....
Just checking: Do you keep track of ambient temperature? I ask because I don't see ambient temperature mentioned and if you're pushing the envelope it makes a huge difference in terms of heatsink efficiency if your room is at 20ºC or 25ªC.Cheers,- jahman.

Issue with BSOD could have been related to MS hotfix KB979444. If anybody else is having idle BSOD issues, give this a try and see if it works. EDIT: Nevermind, tried the hotfix and still got BSOD. Back to my turbo @ 4.8GHz settings... maybe this whole chipset flaw won't be such a bad thing. Maybe by the time I get my replacement, the mobos will be a bit more stable. Until then I get to enjoy brand new technology - that's not a bad deal.

Corey Meeks

The store where I purchased the 2500K told me they won't have them available for another week or two, so I'm going with a 2600K instead in the end. It should arrive by friday or saturday.Looks like I was wrong and the 2600K overclocks a bit better than the 2500K, so at least I might get one or two extra hundred MHz for the those 100€ Straight%20Face.gif

Cool Dario; got my 2600k stuff on Sunday and it is waiting to be built this weekend when I get some time...will let you know how it goes and post results once FSX is all done:) Man my case needs a clean though:)

Simon

Cool Dario; got my 2600k stuff on Sunday and it is waiting to be built this weekend when I get some time...will let you know how it goes and post results once FSX is all done:) Man my case needs a clean though:)
Thanks mate, the more the merrier :biggrin: I'll be posting my tests too

I just updated my FSX guide (signature) for the Sandy Bridge platform with an i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz and a graphic card Radeon HD 5870. I hope that this contribution is useful for you as well.

Best regards from RelaxX

Guest firehawk44
I just updated my FSX guide (signature) for the Sandy Bridge platform with an i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz and a graphic card Radeon HD 5870. I hope that this contribution is useful for you as well.
Nice setup guide for the new platform. I'm still waiting for a couple more parts (I7-2600K CPU and DVD Drive) and hope to be setting my system up this weekend or early next week. Thanks for sharing!Best regards,Jim

Alright, with so many of us setting up and tweaking brand new machines, what's the leatest and greatest guide for setting up and tweaking FSX on a high-end machine (specifically with nVidia graphics)???If anything, and hopefully I don't open a can of worms, what's the consensus on the most common tweaks (bufferpools, affinitymask, etc)? I just read the "BP=0 Conclusion" thread tonight and wasn't sure what most people are using as of now. Interesting read though, especially considering the release of recent graphics cards and the upcoming Kepler GPUs.

Corey Meeks

Testing now my new SB system. I benchmarked this little beast at heathrow as usually... at stock clocks (3.4GHz no turbo) it performs more or less the same as my old I5 750 at 4GHz Big%20Grin.gif:rolleyes: