Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

harvester21

GTX580 Question

As my topic states, I am a bit confused as to why FSX is only using 341MB of the 1.5GB available memory of my GTX580. Anyone have any ideas? Would it not be better if more of the card's memory was in use? I am thinking that its using RAM instead.. seems a bit odd, that's all.. To be honest, for all I know FSX only needs 341MB.Ideas?

Guest jahman

Just curious, how are you able to determine the amout of VRAM used bt FSX?Cheers,- jahman.

Im looking at what MSI Afterburner is telling me. I have no idea how reliable that is to be quite honest..

As my topic states, I am a bit confused as to why FSX is only using 341MB of the 1.5GB available memory of my GTX580. Anyone have any ideas? Would it not be better if more of the card's memory was in use? I am thinking that its using RAM instead.. seems a bit odd, that's all.. To be honest, for all I know FSX only needs 341MB.Ideas?
It all depends on where you fly and in what airplane.300-500 MB is pretty normal in my experience..

Guest veeray
Im looking at what MSI Afterburner is telling me. I have no idea how reliable that is to be quite honest..
Not very unfortunately for DirectX... none of them are...even in game numbers are generally estimates.

Not very unfortunately for DirectX... none of them are...even in game numbers are generally estimates.
Performance analysis tools like Pix or NVPerfHUD can tell you precisely how much VRAM is being used by the 3d application. I imagine tools like GPU-Z, Rivatuner, and MSI Afterburner can do the same. They offer the feature, what use would it be to just "guess"? These are measurable items.As for the OP's question: FSX in default configuration (i.e. without 3rd party add-ons like high resolution scenery) does not consume much VRAM. Don't worry about the low VRAM usage, it's not an indication that the game is running sub-optimally.