Sign in to follow this  
mmann

Naming Microsoft Flight

I finally think I may have the ideal name; Hawaiian Flight.With Microsoft showing us nothing but Hawaii in the Flight screenshots, the name just seems to be a natural fit!Regards, Mike Mann

I finally think I may have the ideal name; Hawaiian Flight.With Microsoft showing us nothing but Hawaii in the Flight screenshots, the name just seems to be a natural fit!Regards, Mike Mann
Has anyone considered that FLIGHT may possibly be a series of regional sims- FLIGHT HAWAII being simply the first?That would greatly enhance the income stream to MS- since long range simmers would require two or more vesions- such as perhaps FLIGHT USA WEST, etc.And who knows, even Travel Agents might have a copy running in their shop windows!(But I doubt that Flight- the sim, will ever be able to duplicate the misery of economy/coach class seating on a long haul!)AR

Mike,Yep, that is what it is going to be. :(

HiPrepar3D can do both and if it is used in an FAA approved device, the panel views are simply fixed in place if the device is using soft panels. FAA don't care what other features the software has as long as the device that is being qualified meets the requirements as tested.DR1
That is correct. A FAA personal computer-based aviation training device (PCATD) comprises the hardware and the software. A manufacturer has to take responsiblily for putting together a PCATD and submiting it to the FAA for qualification. Any modifications requiire the PCATD to be re-qualified. Software alone can never be qualified.

That is correct. A FAA personal computer-based aviation training device (PCATD) comprises the hardware and the software. A manufacturer has to take responsiblily for putting together a PCATD and submiting it to the FAA for qualification. Any modifications requiire the PCATD to be re-qualified. Software alone can never be qualified.
One might suppose that professional users of Prepare3D would use it in a PCATD mode- ie with Fixed view(s) and panel rather than in Virtual.That begs the question as to whether users of Prepare in Virtual mode, are doing so for "entertainment"!! (This latter use being not included in the EULA?)AR

One might suppose that professional users of Prepare3D would use it in a PCATD mode- ie with Fixed view(s) and panel rather than in Virtual.That begs the question as to whether users of Prepare in Virtual mode, are doing so for "entertainment"!! (This latter use being not included in the EULA?)AR
No not at all. Not all of our particular customers use it as an FAA device. Most use it as (FAA unqualified) desktop trainers. That includes Air Force users. Commercial use does not mean only PCATD, or AATD and this does not automatically mean entertainment. Anyhow, who said training had to be boring? :-)

No not at all. Not all of our particular customers use it as an FAA device. Most use it as (FAA unqualified) desktop trainers. That includes Air Force users. Commercial use does not mean only PCATD, or AATD and this does not automatically mean entertainment. Anyhow, who said training had to be boring? :-)
Thanks for the clarification. But I would presume that "flight time" in virtual mode could not be claimed as formal simulator "training or proficiency maintenance" hours.And agreed, NOT "boring" in 2D either!AR

According to the FAA:"5. AUTHORIZED USE.a. Instruction by an Authorized Instructor. Qualified PCATD's may be highly beneficial when usedunder the guidance of an authorized instructor to achieve learning in certain procedural tasks such as areadepartures and arrivals, navigational aid tracking, holding pattern entries, instrument approaches, andmissed approach procedures. Accordingly, the FAA has determined to continue the policy that any timeinstruction is to be used to log time toward meeting any requirement of the regulations, an authorizedinstructor must have presented the instruction."

Hello Mike,I've read this a couple of times recently on these forums where people have claimed the "Flight Simulator" is a registered trademark of Microsoft. I would be interested if someone could tell me if this is true or not and where they get their information from. I've just read the FSX manual, it tells me that Microsoft, the MS Game Studios Logo and Windows are registered trademarks but it doesn't mention "Flight Simulator". I've also checked the credits and eula documents in the FSX folder, no mention of it and I've even checked out the Microsoft Trademarks page (http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/EN-US.aspx) and it doesn't mention "Flight Simulator" being a trademark either (although they do have Forza Motorsport, Halo and other games titles listed).
Word Mark FLIGHT SIMULATOR Goods and Services IC 028. US 022. G & S: computer game programs and related printed instruction manuals and user guides, sold together. FIRST USE: 19800124. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19800124 Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING Serial Number 74527208 Filing Date May 17, 1994 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A Supplemental Register Date January 19, 1995 Registration Number 1895742 Registration Date May 23, 1995 Owner (REGISTRANT) Artwick, Bruce INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES c/o Bruce Artwick Organization, Ltd. 2004 Fox Drive Champaign ILLINOIS 61821(LAST LISTED OWNER) MICROSOFT CORPORATION CORPORATION BY ASSIGNMENT WASHINGTON ONE MICROSOFT WAY REDMOND WASHINGTON 98052 Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED Attorney of Record WILLIAM O FERRON JR Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register SUPPLEMENTAL Affidavit Text SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20050718. Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20050718 Live/Dead Indicator LIVEA wordmark, also sometimes word mark, subset of the term logotype, is a standardized graphic representation of the name of a company, institution, or product name used for purposes of identification and branding. A wordmark is usually a distinct text-only typographic treatment as can be found in the graphic identities of the Government of Canada, FedEx, Google, and Wikipedia. The organization name is incorporated as a simple graphic treatment to create a clear, visually memorable identity. The representation of the word becomes a visual symbol of the organization or product. In the United States and European Union a wordmark may be registered, making it protected intellectual property. In the United States the term wordmark may not only refer to the graphical representation, but the text itself may be a type of trademark.[2]

Thanks for the clarification. But I would presume that "flight time" in virtual mode could not be claimed as formal simulator "training or proficiency maintenance" hours.
Yes, that is correct, but many of our customers don't use it to rack up logable flight time, the military use it for tactical procedures and mission rehearsal. It doesn't matter if it is virtual or 2D panel.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.