Sign in to follow this  
tnorton776

Full Autoland

Can anyone explain to me what settings I have to engage in the FMC to enable a full autoland? everytime I get about 100 feet above the runway the autopilot cuts out.

To answer your question, the FMC has little to do with the instrument landing system other than auto-tuning the localizer (and of course, the matched GS frequency). You must, however, select an ILS approach type on the arrival page for it to anticipate the need to tune the correct ILS frequency.Read the FMS Guide and FCOM (specifically the sections related to the autopilot) to further educate yourself.

Kyle Rodgers

I would also suggest flying the tutorial until you are comfortable with each stage. Try to ensure that you know why you are doing something, not just that you need to do it.

I have read it, but the FMC guide isnt very clear on this aspect of the AutoLand system. Full autoland Flare and rollout has nothing to do with the ILS frequency, it is some other setting. Perhaps there is a Land type setting somewhere that the FMC guide is leaving out? I dont have this issue in Boeing planes, which are in general more user friendly than MD.I will further look into the ILS approach type.

You need to read the Autopilot section of the System Manual...The Autoland has nothing to do with the FMC...The Autoland is managed by the autopilot. The FMC only sets the NAV frequencies needed for the respective ILS...Cheers,

I have read it, but the FMC guide isnt very clear on this aspect of the AutoLand system. Full autoland Flare and rollout has nothing to do with the ILS frequency, it is some other setting. Perhaps there is a Land type setting somewhere that the FMC guide is leaving out? I dont have this issue in Boeing planes, which are in general more user friendly than MD.
Hi Tom, As stated in your first reply the FMC or MCDU has very little to do with your autoland capability. You have received some good advice on both reply's and as Paul suggested follow the basic tutorials. This has nothing to do with Boeing,MD or Airbus Philosophy, just takes a little bit of studying and all methods are very simple.Regards

Rob Prest

Full autoland should work if the ILS frequency is correct and you get the green box and the dual land announcement subsequently. As long as you chose an ILS approach in the FMC there is no further intervention required, FMC-wise. So the FMC guide is pretty complete. It has nothing to do with the FMC, except the above mentioned approach.By the way, Boeing does it the same way, no further FMC action required. Select the correct speed, make sure you have both or all three autopilots connected and wait until the plane drops to the concrete.Full autoland, including flare and rollout will never work without the ILS frequency. Autoland depends mainly on the correct frequency, your green box below the engine gauges and the dual land announcement on the PFD. If this dual land doesn't show up, you'll get an "approach only" warning, making a successful autoland impossible.

thanks for the last reply it was very helpful, I notice the problem occurs if I dont have Dual land as you say or if my auto thrust is not engaged i have these issues. The dual land thing seems arbitrary, even with correct ILS at a major airport it only activates sometimes. In boeing planes you can land the plane with autoland 3 and manual thrust control, is that not the case with the MD-11?

Why would you do that? As the name "autoland" suggests, it's an automatic landing, meaning that the autopilot takes care of everything, including the thrust. Dual Land is essential because of redundance. If you disconnect the autothrottle the system reverts to single land mode and chances are good that you end up with "approach only", making an autoland impossible.Single Land limits you to a CatII approach, CatIII can only be accomplished in dual land configuration.One of the reasons behind this is McDonnell's idea of enhanced automation. You can see this looking at other systems. Hydraulics, fuel management, air system etc. Either do it automatically or manually. But mixing both is not a good idea.Check the systems manual, section automatic flight. From page 10.16 on you'll have an in depth explanation of how the system works.

Repeat after me, "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!""This is not a Boeing!""This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!""This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!" "This is not a Boeing!"

even with correct ILS at a major airport it only activates sometimes
It activates every time, if you know what you're doing. You claim that this is not working because it's Douglas and that Boeing is so much better there... Well check the manual again, the autopilot has an altitude limit (AGL), below which you will NEVER get dual or single land. And this makes sense obviously, you would never do a CATIII approach intercepting the ILS at only 1000ft AGL.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Can anyone explain to me what settings I have to engage in the FMC to enable a full autoland? everytime I get about 100 feet above the runway the autopilot cuts out.
Try the Angle of Atttack MD11 training course for $44.00. It covers a lot of approaches and landings from VFR to Autoland plus much more. You still need to study the manual but it is more easily understood if you watch a video. I got the basics of the MD11 from watching youtube videos, the manual, and expermentation until I got things right (a lot crashes) and end flight commands. And remember "This is not a Boeing" per Paul_Smith.Michael Cubine

Hi, it's very simple to guarantee that Dual Land engages, simply follow the instructions off your approach chart, in terms of GS intercept altitude, and make sure you are in final landing configuration at 2000'!

Charlie Reed

i9 9900K | 32GB RAM | RTX 3090

The system check is automatic done at 1500 feet AGL, then if the plane is fully configured for (auto)landing you will see the FLARE and ROLL modes coming armed and the green DUAL LAND advice telling you everithing is ok.The autoflight chapter of system manual contains a lot of useful informations on the functioning of the AUTOLAND function.Cheers,

I found out what enables DUAL LAND mode in the FMC. Auto Thrust must be engaged in order for the MD-11 to perform a full autoland/flare/roll out. If AT is not armed and set properly the autopilot will cut out a couple hundred feet above the runway. No where in any of the MD-11 manuals is this stated, however. I understand that this is not a "Boeing" aircraft, which do not need A/T armed in order to perform a AUTOLAND 3. That was what was confusing me. Hope this helps to anyone else scratching their head.