Sign in to follow this  
e_paul

Transfer FSX and addons to new Hard Drive

Hello All,I purchased a new SSD and want to use it exclusively for FSX. I plan on simply moving my FSX folder over to the new drive and run a reg fixer to edit the cfg's. Will this work for payware addons such as PMDG aircraft? I'm hoping not to do a full re-install. Thanks in advance,Eric Paul

A re-install is your best bet. I did the same thing myself a few months ago and there was no way around it. It's a hassle, but in the end it's good because you end up starting new. I ended up not re-installing quite a few add-ons that I wasn't using and that were just cluttering up my drive.

Noah Bryant

Eric,It depends on what you're doing specifically - are you talking just about cloning your old drive to this (ie, the SSD will have the same drive letter as the old drive with FSX on it) or are you talking about moving just the FSX folder from one drive to the new one?If it's the first option, then you can do this without any ill effects because the drive letter is the same and thus no registry entries will point to the wrong locations.If it's the second option, then no that's not going to work - there's a ton of registry stuff that doesn't get replaced by those registry repair tools - there's stuff that's dynamically created during Windows setup by both FSX and by addons - you won't be able to adjust those all, many of them are extremely cryptic (just a class ID etc). You're better off just uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch to the SSD I think.I do wish Windows wasn't like this, programs should just store their settings and all relevant files right there in the folder - one of the things I love about Mac OSX vs. Windows honestly.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Eric,It depends on what you're doing specifically - are you talking just about cloning your old drive to this (ie, the SSD will have the same drive letter as the old drive with FSX on it) or are you talking about moving just the FSX folder from one drive to the new one?If it's the first option, then you can do this without any ill effects because the drive letter is the same and thus no registry entries will point to the wrong locations.If it's the second option, then no that's not going to work - there's a ton of registry stuff that doesn't get replaced by those registry repair tools - there's stuff that's dynamically created during Windows setup by both FSX and by addons - you won't be able to adjust those all, many of them are extremely cryptic (just a class ID etc). You're better off just uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch to the SSD I think.I do wish Windows wasn't like this, programs should just store their settings and all relevant files right there in the folder - one of the things I love about Mac OSX vs. Windows honestly.
Yep. Application packages are great. Everything is self-contained, drag it to any folder you want. To uninstall you just drag it to the trash can. I use my macbook for everything but fsx.

Thanks Noah and Ryan for the help. I guess now I will have to start the tedious task of reinstalling FSX and the addons to the new SSD. In the long run this is probably the best thing to do anyway. We'll have a clean install for the NGX!Thanks again,Eric Paul

Copy the FSX folder to new drive, change the SSD partition drive letter to old one in Disk Management. That's all.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

Copy the FSX folder to new drive, change the SSD partition drive letter to old one in Disk Management. That's all.
Not going to work if the old drive was C:\, had stuff besides FSX on it etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Most Add-on's I found did not suffer by doing the same myself. As mentioned, A lot of FS add-ons are 'self contained' The Add-ons that did not work correctly... FS2Crew voice commander for example.. then I just renamed the relevant folder containing my settings.. re-installed it, then reinstated the original foler. Still a bit of work, but better then reinstalling everything again like UTX/GEX etc...just takes toooo long!!!

Not going to work if the old drive was C:\, had stuff besides FSX on it etc...
True.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

Hello Pilots I have not long installed a SSD 1TB as my HDD was getting full I got a computer shop to install the new SSD and also a clone .PMDG aircraft worked fine, anything from flight1 I had to do a re install everthing else worked fine in fsx . Im now formatting the old HDD drive and would like to move my sim objects and some other fsx programes like flightsim commander rex etc to the HDD with a junction link either with CMD or a Junction link program, I guess my question is will all my aircraft still work with a junction link to fsx on the ssd including pmdg,Ai aircraft and other payware aircraft,also do I need to edit my fsx cfg file. Appreciate any advice.