Sign in to follow this  
borgfan

FSPassengersX verses FSCaptain: adding an interest

Now that I've been flying a for while on FSX, I'm looking to inject a bit more purpose and challenge to my flights. I've briefly looked at FSPassengers and FSCaptain and they both look interesting. I can't afford to buy both and while I understand that an evaluation/demo copy is available for both of them, I'd appreciate some views as to how they compare, just some pros/cons for both.I have a few airliners I fly regularly, eg PMDG J41, Level-D 767 Feelthere ERJ195 and also enjoy GA flights, with all my activity so far based in the UK. Thanks

Gerard Marley

Now that I've been flying a for while on FSX, I'm looking to inject a bit more purpose and challenge to my flights. I've briefly looked at FSPassengers and FSCaptain and they both look interesting. I can't afford to buy both and while I understand that an evaluation/demo copy is available for both of them, I'd appreciate some views as to how they compare, just some pros/cons for both.I have a few airliners I fly regularly, eg PMDG J41, Level-D 767 Feelthere ERJ195 and also enjoy GA flights, with all my activity so far based in the UK. Thanks
I've been using FsPassengers with FS9 for year and think it's a must. Have got and used FSPassengersX too, but since I use FSX for more relaxed VFR flights, have less experience about it, though it seems to be an straight adaptation to the newer sim, with some minor additions. Regarding FSCaptain, is a more technical and demanding addon, and a very good alternative. Also its developer is actively improving the program al the time; that's not the case with FSPassengersX (the last update was long time ago, IIRC). Anyway, I think both addons have a trial option, with some restrictions. Give them a try and decide by yourself. Also, if you are more cargo- and business-oriented, AirHauler, by JustFlight, is a superb alternative.

fspassengers and fscaptain they both ad in failures?? I thinkbut Airhauler does not, if I'm correct.
They all, including AirHauler, simulate system failures, though the range may differ from one addon to another. In FSPassengers you may find fuel leaks, landing gears not retracting/not extending, flaps not extending/blocked, cabin descompression, brake failured when landing, engine flameouts, bird strikes, engine dyssimtries during takeoff, and so on.Regarding FSCaptain, you can find lots of failures listed in its user's guide (available for download for free), both mechanical and avionics-related.I know AirHauler implements system failures also, according to its manual, but what are, I can't tell you (I've read about gear and flaps failures).

I love FSpassengers, used it in FS9 and FSX. For complex aircraft such as the PMDG one's you can disable the payload calulations and use the planes own loaderUnfortunately the FSpassenger community is pretty dead the product isn't really supported. From what i have seen the FSCaptain support is much better and updated often, but it lacks the economic aspects of FSP and i think is more complex.On balance i would probably get FSpassengers, just be aware support is not good and you'll be lucky to get new features or fixes.

Ian R Tyldesley

I use several programs to help mix FSX up for me. I do not own FSPassengers, however get roughly the same effect from other programs. FS Captain is my newest purchase and it does something the others do not. The primary focus is on being a company pilot without limiting you on what you fly but also without having to worry about finances etc.. You will find it to be a challenge to fly by company policies and the program is very unforgiving if you violate them. This will help you become a better pilot in the long run and also help you focus on the procedures and doing things by the book and sharpen your skills (like reading your weather reports, fuel and time management etc.... don't be late to the gate!!!). I find that running FS Captain with FDC Live Cockpit is a great experience and really helps capture being a company pilot flying by the book and trying to meet demands. In terms of what type of airline you want to fly from small cargo, passenger etc... you are not limited in FS Captain. I made Lufthansa by importing the schedules from WOAI and setting up company policies. However, I also fly for a cargo company I made up (1950's) with a little loser policies. I also mix in Ideal Flight, Air Hauler, FSEconomy and a VA (although less VA these days). By doing this, I get a very well rounded effect of flying in FSX and also I feel like I get the most out of all the money I have invested :-P.... the only thing these programs have not been able to do is give me more time ;-)LW

I find using a (good) virtual airline gives one sense of purpose but artificially inducing failures via an external program can be unnecessary and potentially frustrating (unless regularly dealing with failures is your "thing"). By a good VA I mean a friendly place that keeps it's fleet repaints up to date with good payware add-ons, and doesn't try to pawn you off with dodgy FS9 hand-me-down freeware. The good thing is there are plenty of VAs out there for all tastes, and one can pick and choose. :D

but artificially inducing failures via an external program can be unnecessary and potentially frustrating
Actually i use FSP and have the setting to 1% failure. I find that it's pretty good, just the other day i was taking off in the superb PMDG J41 from EGCC and FSP simulated a bird strike, along with FS2Crew i felt like i was there, completely lost in that moment, boy did it feel good when i landed safely.

Ian R Tyldesley

wow you triggered a failure at 1%??I usually fly at 5%, I get them not very much...I guess to keep it 100% real you would set it at 2%?

Ciao!

wow you triggered a failure at 1%??I usually fly at 5%, I get them not very much...I guess to keep it 100% real you would set it at 2%?
Yeah, 1% isn't realistic, if you wanted that it would have to be about 0.01%. As it happens the very next flight i got a engine (again J41) giving weak power, it just felt real. Like the engine that had suffered the bird strike was badly repaired or something.I love FSP, but the support is pretty terrible and no more updates appear to be coming soon. i have looked at FSCaptain with the hope of running it together with FSP but it seems awfully complicated to get right. Dutch (the guy who wrote FSCaptain) seems to be a good bloke, and support is (from what i have read) excellant. I would move over simply for the support and updates but FSP's economic and ranking system just draws me in, i like the fact i can only fly light aircraft at first and have to move up by flying. I hope that FSPassengers is given away as freeware at somepoint so that it can be modded, if not freeware an SDK would be nice.

Ian R Tyldesley