Sign in to follow this  
fluffybunny88

unhappy with FSX preformance 2600k

Hello Everyone,I just got my new build finished for my computer, got a 2600K overclocked at 4.6 GHz stable, and been flying a bit today and I am a little dissipointed with the FPS and jumpieness I am getting.First off, specs:2600K @ 4.6 GHZATI 5770 (I know not good but:) at 5400x1040 or whatever the res is, very high 3 wide monitors8 GB RAMFS installed on a 7200 RPM sata 3 drive.Add ons:REX 2.0 with clouds at 1024FSX settingsEverything about middle except scenery density which is at dense. including AI traffic at 50% everything else off.I have gone through NickNs recomendations and gone back from there and now at these settings with not much changeI am getting around on average flying and on ground 6-15 FPS with some spikes of up to 20-25 especially in the air. The last straw was I was taxiing out of ATL and was getting 6 FPS and very jumpy not smooth at all.Does anyone have any advice especially for this setup? I have seen rave reviews of this setup with the 2600k and I am just not getting the performance that others are getting.Is it my eyefinity that is screwing me up? Or REX maybe?Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

Yes, somethings definatley not right if your getting those numbers out of that rig, especially considering I am running 1/2 the computer you are and get FPS in the 20's and 30's in complex a/c over dense scenery areas.What operating system are you using and have you checked to see what else you have running in the background?Also you may want to take a look at your security/anti-virus software and exclude FSX from it. Also depending on what type of security program you are using (Norton, MCAfee, AGV, etc.),some are more resource intensive than others.You may also want to give Bojote's automatic FSX config tool a shot, found here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.htmlJust open that link, follow the questions, then upload your FSX.cfg and it will do the rest. Once its done, just download the new cfg it creates and rename or overwrite your existing one and see if it make a difference. You can always tweak it more from there. ******* (Bojote) also has a thread here on Avsim where he answers questions pertaining to his tool: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/318918-automated-tweaking-and-tuning-tool-for-fsx/

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

thanks for the advice on that tool, it did help alot. I also did some more testing on a few diffrent things and here is what I found.REX 2.0 textures with the good weather, few clouds makes no diffrence in FPS.Thunderstorms which is what I was flying in tonight the entire trip ATL to MEM, happens to be a line of storms the entire way there, causes massive FPS hits. Only way to keep somewhat the same FPS is to drop scenery complexity and autogen density to sparse, and that keeps the same FPS or simmilar actually still a little worse than clear as above with very dense on both.With that realization, which I had no idea weather would effect things THAT much, and some other testing and that great autotweak tool I am very happy now. I also did the external frame locker the shader mod from the same guy bojote and it helped alot. Thanks a lot for those tools bojote.Thanks for your help also cmpbellsjc.

Thunderstorms which is what I was flying in tonight the entire trip ATL to MEM, happens to be a line of storms the entire way there, causes massive FPS hits. Only way to keep somewhat the same FPS is to drop scenery complexity and autogen density to sparse, and that keeps the same FPS or simmilar actually still a little worse than clear as above with very dense on both.
You mentinoed in your first post that you installed the REX 1024 clouds, did you install the DXT versions or the 32bit? If you installed the 32bit go back into REX and run the installer again and use the DXT clouds and while your at it install the DXT water textures as well. 32bit textures whether they are used in clouds, repaints, or textures in airports, take a drain on performance, and honestly the difference in visual quality between 32bit textures and DTX is very minimal, in fact I cant really tell any difference. Any time I buy a new addon airport or aircraft, or add new repaints to my user aircraft or AI, the first thing I do is check the textures and if I find anything thats 32bit I convert them to DXT.I'm not familiar with your video card since I have always been an nVidia user, but even with the older card I have now(GTS 250 1GB) and 2GB of system RAM, heavy cloud cover doesn't even phase my system. However, I used to run an 8800 GTS 512 card and cloudy weather did make a slight difference in performance. With that in mind and the fact that your running 3 monitors, perhaps your video card is the bottle neck. It would be interesting for you to try one monitor, rather than 3 and see what difference it makes.

You might also like to check your storage resources. Houesekeeping sush as defragging can really help. Its all about moving bits around as well as processing them.Good luck on your new adventure.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

This post is making me nervous !!I just ordered a 2600K for my new system below.....______________________________________________________Gigabyte P67A UD5 MotherboardIntel 2600K CPU (3.4 Quad/Unlocked and OC'd)8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAMGeforce GTX580 Fermi PCI-E16x (single card)60GB OCZ Vertex SSD + WD 1TB Black HDD 7200RPM 64MBWindows 7 HP 64Bit_______________________________________________________Greg

This post is making me nervous !!I just ordered a 2600K for my new system below.....______________________________________________________Gigabyte P67A UD5 MotherboardIntel 2600K CPU (3.4 Quad/Unlocked and OC'd)8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAMGeforce GTX580 Fermi PCI-E16x (single card)60GB OCZ Vertex SSD + WD 1TB Black HDD 7200RPM 64MBWindows 7 HP 64Bit_______________________________________________________Greg
I wouldn't be worried with what your getting. I think fluffybunny's problem is most likely something system specific to her/his setup. There's plenty of other people running 2600K's getting great performance.

Thunderstorms which is what I was flying in tonight the entire trip ATL to MEM, happens to be a line of storms the entire way there, causes massive FPS hits. Only way to keep somewhat the same FPS is to drop scenery complexity and autogen density to sparse, and that keeps the same FPS or simmilar actually still a little worse than clear as above with very dense on both.
ATI cards are notorious for poor FPS in storms and clouds, even with fast CPU's. I don't think the problem was resolved until the 5800 or 5900 series. You'd have better results with a NVIDIA card, with at least 70gb/s Video memory Bandwidth.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have a i5 2500k over clocked to 4.4 ghz with a GTX 570 (see specs on sig), and I am quite surprised because I have all settings way up, autogen is at extremely dense. I have set my FPS limit to 32, and never seen if fall below 28, even at Mcaran. I have REX 2.0 installed as well.My friend has an identical rig to yours, with a GTX 460 as an exception, and he had the same problem. He then dida complete fresh installtion of FSX and REX, and set the affinity mask tweak, to use only 4 cores, I believe its a setting of 14, please check before using it because I cant remember for sure. Hope this helps

******* Altuve's Shader 3.0 mod, will right most of the performance imbalance on ATI cards in these circumstances :(

Craig Sells

This post is making me nervous !!I just ordered a 2600K for my new system below........
No need to be nervous!I'm using a 2600k overclocked to 5 GHz with 2xgtx580 in surround mode and the performance is pretty darn good.

Yea trimwheel I wouldn't worry I know its probably some setting I have, or possibly the ATI card that is causing all of my problems.Did some more testing trying the things everyone recommendedThe DXT settings were already on in REX, I had to check to verify but they were checked.Storage: Realized I totally forgot to post that in my specs, OS drive is a 128 GB Crucial SSD and FS is installed on a 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3 Drive, everything is a fresh install just got it all installed Friday. I have not run a defrag on the drive but I will try that.Affinity Mast: Was set at 224, that was from bojotes online tool that set that, I put it at 14 as confirmed the correct number on nickn's post.I did try it on a single monitor and was not impressed it was still very stuttery and not smooth.I did install the shadermod 3.0 last night with no change at all.If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them, the budget cant take a new video card at the moment :( Thanks alot for everyone's help so far!!

sorry for the double post,I looked at my ATI driver settings, and everything was turned up max in there, max AA and everything, I turned it down to all middle settings, not lowest and not max and it helped A LOT. Still not perfect but it helped a lot.Weird thing though, with those settings in the middle I tried very dense in a thunderstorm on both settings and everything was as smooth as sparse, which is very very strange but it worked.I am happy with what I have so far from 5 min of testing, I will try a flight later on today and see how it goes.Still if anyone has any ideas on improving things a bit more I would love to hear it.

sorry for the double post,I looked at my ATI driver settings, and everything was turned up max in there, max AA and everything, I turned it down to all middle settings, not lowest and not max and it helped A LOT. Still not perfect but it helped a lot.Weird thing though, with those settings in the middle I tried very dense in a thunderstorm on both settings and everything was as smooth as sparse, which is very very strange but it worked.I am happy with what I have so far from 5 min of testing, I will try a flight later on today and see how it goes.Still if anyone has any ideas on improving things a bit more I would love to hear it.
Hey fluffybunny, I have read in many places that keeping settings low on high end systems can also affect performance and reduce FPS. I think by putting up your settings, you might have corrected your problems. Just my thoughts, hope it works.

Just for kicks have you tried disabling hyper threading?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |