Sign in to follow this  
robbier

A Quick Graphics Card Question

Hi Guys,I posted about this in the Video Hardware forum as well, but I thought it might be worth asking about in the PMDG forum too, especially since the NGX seems to be right around the corner.Would it be a good idea to upgrade from a Radeon HD 5770 to either a Radeon HD5870 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 285? Those are my only choices. The HD 5770 card struggles to deliver good performance when in bad weather. Spec-wise, both the 5870 and GTX 285 are better than my 5770, but would it be worth upgrading to either one of those? Would the Nvidia card perform better in poor weather situations?Thanks for any suggestions,Robert Deichert

Try bojote's Shader 3.0 Mod. If you still need to upgrade, go with nVidia for FSX always

Try bojote's Shader 3.0 Mod. If you still need to upgrade, go with nVidia for FSX always
I just change from ATI 4800 series to Nvidia GTX 560Ti - COULDNT BE HAPPIER.

What will be the performance gain between a Geforce 580GTX 1.5GB and 3GB ?Ben

Hi Guys,I posted about this in the Video Hardware forum as well, but I thought it might be worth asking about in the PMDG forum too, especially since the NGX seems to be right around the corner.Would it be a good idea to upgrade from a Radeon HD 5770 to either a Radeon HD5870 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 285? Those are my only choices. The HD 5770 card struggles to deliver good performance when in bad weather. Spec-wise, both the 5870 and GTX 285 are better than my 5770, but would it be worth upgrading to either one of those? Would the Nvidia card perform better in poor weather situations?Thanks for any suggestions,Robert Deichert
Why is the 285 your only choice? A 460, 560 Ti, 570, or 580 are the best choices right now - those are all based on the most recent Nvidia chip design, the GF110.
What will be the performance gain between a Geforce 580GTX 1.5GB and 3GB ?Ben
Basically nothing at all - there's no really no game out there that's going to use more than 1.5GB of texture memory unless you're doing absolutely crazy stuff like three 30" monitors with a TripleHead. Certainly not FS - I've only barely been able to get it over 1GB when using a ton of scenery addons, full 4096 and 7cm textures and an extremely high AA level. I'd just get the standard 1.5GB card.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan.In case of a triple screen setup with a 580GTX, I know that you can adjust the border, but can you set in the config utility the angle of the slaves screens in accord with the master one ?Ben

Thanks Ryan.In case of a triple screen setup with a 580GTX, I know that you can adjust the border, but can you set in the config utility the angle of the slaves screens in accord with the master one ?Ben
I'm not sure what you mean by that - I don't personally have a multimonitor setup.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Robert - coincidentally, I upgraded from my HD 5770 only YESTERDAY due to being sick of bad FPS with the clouds. I have upgraded to a GTX 460. I would recommend you do likewise - it has solved the cloud issue. Havent exerimented too far yet, but I think i can push up Autogen and a few other settinggs now also. Highly recommended!CheersRobPS. Ryan - thanks for your nVidia settings guide!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I'm not sure what you mean by that - I don't personally have a multimonitor setup.
An image is better than hundred words :So with setup 1 you will have a larger angle of view than the second setupIs that possible to control this setting via the Nvidia control panel ?Ben

Oh - I seriously doubt it, that would have to be a function of the game engine, not the video driver. FSX's FOV can only be one of two things WideViewAspect=True, which is a wider more zoomed out FOV or WideViewAspect=False, which is more a zoomed in and less horizontal FOV.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Oh - I seriously doubt it, that would have to be a function of the game engine, not the video driver. FSX's FOV can only be one of two things WideViewAspect=True, which is a wider more zoomed out FOV or WideViewAspect=False, which is more a zoomed in and less horizontal FOV.
Thanks for the answer.I think I will forget this triple or quintuple display idea, and go for something like the Sennheiser cinemizer OLED that includes motion tracking.Ben

Would it be a good idea to upgrade from a Radeon HD 5770 to either a Radeon HD5870 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 285?Robert Deichert
Is your machine a dedicated FSX system? If not and you also run other stuff, then I would never ever go for the GTX 285 these days. It does not support DX11, it's hotter and it's louder than the 5870.Stefan Keller

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Why is the 285 your only choice? A 460, 560 Ti, 570, or 580 are the best choices right now - those are all based on the most recent Nvidia chip design, the GF110.
My main machine is a Mac Pro, and the only relatively recent Nvidia card available is the GTX 285.
Is your machine a dedicated FSX system? If not and you also run other stuff, then I would never ever go for the GTX 285 these days. It does not support DX11, it's hotter and it's louder than the 5870.
Thanks for the information. Yes, I do run other games. I have read that the HD5870 is roughly equivalent, in terms of performance, to the GTX 285. I am not sure if that is true or if it applies here.Thanks again,Robert Deichert