Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

Colliding with objects that aren't there. :o(

Just finished a long flight flying around Alaska, some really nice scenery to look at when I wasn't in thick cloud that is.Anyway decided it was time to find a suitable airport to land at and located Steven Anchorage Int (PANC) 22 South West of my current location so I started heading in the appropriate direction climbing to 10000 feet to avoid the mountains, eventually using the GPS with Terrain switched on I spotted the lakes near Anchorage and started to descend using instruments as I couldn't see a thing, eventually got down below 3000ft and was able to follow VFR flying again and started to make my approach downwind to runway 14, made a nice turn on to final approach and was really pleased with my self, descending smoothly towards the runway and just about to touch down and bang, object collision (building that wasn't there) what the hell or something similar was my reaction as my flight came to a dismal end. Tried to start a new flight from Anchorage at runway 14 and couldn't cus I'd collide with an object so I tried runway 32 opposite end of 14 and still no joy, then FSX crashed.Anyone else had this problem and is there any fix for it, I know FSX has some pretty weird things in places like no scenery under a runway etc but were these anomalies ever fixed or do I just need to buy third party scenery to fix this issue.CheersMartin

I had a similar experience on one of the runways for KLGA and at KBOS as well IIRC. Crashed into something invisible right above the threshold for the runways, when the runways started in the water. I fixed it by selecting a different mesh resolution in FSX. Maybe there's something similar going on at PANC

I have the same issue at PANC - in a default FSX setup.To get around it I keep the "Detect crashes" (or however it is worded) option on the Aircraft/Realism settings turned off.You will have no problem knowing if you crash into a mountain etc. with it off. Give that a try and let usknow if it helps please.

I have the same issue at PANC - in a default FSX setup.To get around it I keep the "Detect crashes" (or however it is worded) option on the Aircraft/Realism settings turned off.You will have no problem knowing if you crash into a mountain etc. with it off. Give that a try and let usknow if it helps please.
If I switch off crash detection will that completely disable all detection, you see I like to know if I've come in too hard etc, so while I could switch it off for Anchorage I suppose I would want it on normally.I tried the mesh resolution but it made no difference and it does the same for the other runways too. I will try a bit more tatting around first though cus I noticed at runway 24L I think it was the collision didn't immediately happen until I zoomed my view out to 30% then bang.Maybe it is something to do with the mesh settings but I just need to try a few more variations.Cheers both.Martin.

I gave up on trying to chase down these sorts of issues long ago and just turned crash detection off...there are lots of invisible hazards out there in SimWorld, and life is too short to have FS blowing up on me every time I hit some scenery artifact I can't see.You have to pick your poison, I guess.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I gave up on trying to chase down these sorts of issues long ago and just turned crash detection off...there are lots of invisible hazards out there in SimWorld, and life is too short to have FS blowing up on me every time I hit some scenery artifact I can't see.You have to pick your poison, I guess.
Same here. This is recommended in the install instructions for some addon airports too. Apparently they rely on "hidden" objects to trick FSX into displaying things it was never meant to be capable of displaying.Also even a somewhat hard touchdown that might have bent the gear causes the plane to explode in FSX. Not very realistic. Plus, your computer might decide to hang for one second or otherwise mess up your flying at the crucial moment. Not fun to have a long flight end with a wrecked plane when it wasn't even your fault.When simulation is perfect, I can trust it to detect crashes. Not before then.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Crash detection is totally useless in FSX. Save yourself a lot of grief and disable it permanently. You will know when you hit the runway (or ground) too hard anyway, without FSX telling you.I also disabled the Force Crash Detection On feature in FSPassengersX