Sign in to follow this  
captainklm

Vatsim with pmdg or other great add ons

Guest dlrk
Joe,If you have an old PC or Laptop laying around, network it to your main PC to run SB or FSINN.I do that with all my external programs including Active sky, TOPCAT etc. It seems to solve a lot of conflict problems and leaves your main machine clean and able to focus on just running FS. Not sure what the prices are like for you in Japan but here in the UK I can pick up a second hand basic desktop for £40
Is there a way to run TOPCAT through a second computer and still allow it to access FSX through FSUIPC?

Ok, well I was told to connect using another computer. That other computer is a windows but I dumped it years ago and the screen is really bad now. Can either FSInn or SB be used on a Mac?

Could my internet connection be the problem. I currently have 10gigabits but will upgrade to 160gigabits in a month. Would that help?
The Vatsim client protocols were designed for dial-up connections so bandwidth usage is less than tiny. So, no is the answer.Re FSInn being "a pain to setup", it isn't IF you follow the installation instructions to the letter without trying to second guess what you think you should do with it.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

With windows in bootcamp - yes. In OSX - unfortunately not :(
I think I have boot camp, I'll go find out

10gigabits but will upgrade to 160gigabits in a month. Would that help?
If your connection speed is really 10Gbps then it's not a problem... I have 10Mbps and it works fine... Are you sure it's gigabits? You realise with 10Gbps you can download at 1.3 Gigabytes per second. That's a full DVD in about 6 seconds. Wow...

well now I have boot camp on the mac and have squawk box 4 on it. Now, how do I connect to vatsim? How do I get this computer to keep connected and fsx to run fsx? Do I need cables?

Guest TBM930
Or try IVAO. No problem there :)Bert Van Bulck
I agree Bert! Vatsim is in dire need of a new interface. I hate FSInn, and squawkbox always crashes in Bootcamp with Windows X64 even when I launch it externally in FSX. I really love IVAO's IVAP. It is light has an extensive library of planes, essentiel tools (pushback, tcas) and runs real smooth and a pleasure to watch others takeoff and land!I wish I knew how to hack into it to use it also with Vatsim! Seriously these 2 entities should join forces and develop an interface for both! In North America I would prefer flying on Vatsim but with those interfaces, it is simply a waste of time so I spend my time flying the lonely skies in IVAO in North America and get in the mix in Europe on weekends.Btw I always get this Error when I used SB, this is why I uninstalled it http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4583 Edited by TBM850

Scratch all that, I misread the post......

Hi,I use squawkbox 4 to connect to vatsim. BUt Im having so much trouble. Partly cause the pmdg 747 wont work with it. Now I cant connect. Can someone tell me there techniques on how to connect. I already went to the vatsim forums and they have not replied yet. What I do is load up the plane into fs and then connect externally. It works but then freezes and then I have to shut it down with task maneger
You obviously don't have very good troubleshooting skills... try using a different plane... if it still freezes, you know its something other than the PMDG 747 (Which I guarantee you it is).
Btw I always get this Error when I used SB, this is why I uninstalled it http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4583
This has to do with Windows Vista's and 7's UAC control. Search UAC in the start menu and lower the slider to the bottom, then run SB externally as Administrator.
well now I have boot camp on the mac and have squawk box 4 on it. Now, how do I connect to vatsim? How do I get this computer to keep connected and fsx to run fsx? Do I need cables?
Read... its good for you.http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/pilotsclients/squawkbox/

You obviously don't have very good troubleshooting skills... try using a different plane... if it still freezes, you know its something other than the PMDG 747 (Which I guarantee you it is).This has to do with Windows Vista's and 7's UAC control. Search UAC in the start menu and lower the slider to the bottom, then run SB externally as Administrator.Read... its good for you.http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/pilotsclients/squawkbox/
I posted this before the big problem. Before t was only the 747 and now it's everything.
I agree Bert! Vatsim is in dire need of a new interface. I hate FSInn, and squawkbox always crashes in Bootcamp with Windows X64 even when I launch it externally in FSX. I really love IVAO's IVAP. It is light has an extensive library of planes, essentiel tools (pushback, tcas) and runs real smooth and a pleasure to watch others takeoff and land!I wish I knew how to hack into it to use it also with Vatsim! Seriously these 2 entities should join forces and develop an interface for both! In North America I would prefer flying on Vatsim but with those interfaces, it is simply a waste of time so I spend my time flying the lonely skies in IVAO in North America and get in the mix in Europe on weekends.Btw I always get this Error when I used SB, this is why I uninstalled it http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4583
At first I actually decided to join them. But they required a lot of training and I did not have time for it. Vatsim did not require any so I drifted to them. And besides, vatsim is more busy than IVAO and I love traffic (only in the skies!)

Guest TBM930
I posted this before the big problem. Before t was only the 747 and now it's everything.At first I actually decided to join them. But they required a lot of training and I did not have time for it. Vatsim did not require any so I drifted to them. And besides, vatsim is more busy than IVAO and I love traffic (only in the skies!)
I hear you ! Since I already have my CPL in the real world I did not do any training! I tried many times troubleshooting SB 4 on my system and read and scoured the internet trying everything to get SB 4 to work properly but no luck. My system just does not like and the problem is that SB 4 needs an update to work properly with Windows 7 X 64. I fly on Vatsim when I use X-Squawkbox with X-plane! Everything runs perfectly!

Fsinn is not that good on FSX in my opinion to use on Vatsim. There's a well known bug that brings outside temperatures at unreal values when you are somewhat over 20,000 feet (have you ever seen +20 Celsius at that height?).This causes your plane to behave unrealistically with never ending climbs and poor speed performance.To avoid this you have to use other weather than the one of Vatsim making (at least to me) annoying to use.I personally abandoned fsinn and started to use SB4 ever since. No pain and everything smooth like silk.
The VATSIM weather, although synced with the network...is pretty poorly. It neglects any sort of upper air weather and can't correctly read some longer/international METARs. Use the FS default RW weather. It's much more comprehensive anyway.