Sign in to follow this  
blackheart2502

PAJN Runway 26 RNP Approach

Using the charts and Airnav, I managed to hack something together. However, when loaded in the NGX, nothing shows on the DEP/ARR pages for PAJN. Anyone want to troubleshoot?

Joe Sherrill

Joseph, I don't have much to add other than that I just tried to get it to work and as you said, nothing shows up. I don't know my way around a sid/star file, so that's not saying much, but I figured I'd let you know it's not just you. :(

Queenstown in NZ is an airport where Qantas pioneered the RNP procedures. It's hardly a very busy airport, but is surrounded by mountainous terrain. I believe their reason for using RNP is that it makes for safer approaches (especially in less than perfect weather) with lower minimums (hence, fewer go-arounds and less fuel wasted). It's got nothing to do with traffic density as far as I know.
Actually Air NZ was doing RNP approaches into ZQN long before Qantas. Also it is a very busy airport. Dave C

That PAJN one should actually be codable for the NGX using that chart. Stuff like the Queenstown one is where the problem is. Having the chart doesn't tell you anything about what those curves actually are in a mathematical sense to be able to code them. They're radius-to-fix legs, but the chart doesn't give you any information on exactly what the radius of the arc is, where the center point for the circle the arc is a segment of is located, or even what the lat/lon of the fixes are etc. Just gonna have to wait on the curved ones I'm afraid, you need real navdata that has the curves defined.
Hello Ryan So, if one had the correct navdata (arc radius etc) for a specific approach which I do, could I build an RNP AR approach and run it in the current version of NGX? Dave C

I live in Alaska and have Alaska air Lines RNAV RNP approach plate into PAJN  (Juneau)  RWY 26. It is an Alaska A.L. approach only.

I have sent the request to Navigraph, so thoes who are interested keep an eye on their forum, on FMC Data requests.

I have flown this approach, from the approach plate, programed into the FMC- 737 NGX-with a couple problems. Two of the fixes used by Alaska A.L are also fixes some where else in the world.

Jim

I just watched a show on the Aviators where the CEO of WestJet was discussing the RNP approaches and the uses. Above all that have been discussed he said that they have saved an enormous amount (do not recall exact number) of fuel and that seemed to be the most important case.

Thanks,

Ron

Actually Air NZ was doing RNP approaches into ZQN long before Qantas. Also it is a very busy airport. Dave C

That is correct. The new company specific RNP AR approaches allow for minimas down to a few hundred feet versus the normal RNAV approach at 2950 ft AGL. Amazing stuff when you view the inhospitable surrounding terrain. My only concern is that 3 operators utilise NZQN. If each of them has their own proprietary approaches as well as RNP departures and engine out procedures it must become a real headache for ATC separation as well as there being a complete lack of situational awareness for other crew who wont have a clue as to what or where the other traffic is in the approach or departure phase. This is a disturbing trend and is on the increase.

Cheers

Steve Hall